News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

M-Tee's NES Graphics Projects

Started by M-Tee, March 23, 2013, 12:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikachumanson

M-Tee

Considered it actually, actually have a doodle for it somewhere in my sketch book, but after Keith's suggestion I quite like my cow head sprite.

Also, ran into a problem with the palette attributes for the background. Putting this on old for a a few weeks while I work on some other stuff.

Da_GPer

Quote from: M_tee on April 08, 2013, 01:32:29 AM
Thanks. I considered it, but I already have a guy in a sombrero throwing burritos.

OMG! LOL! That is so funny! Have you thought about adding other things like those ladies you see dancing in saloons, vultures, or a time traveling teen in a DeLorean?

M-Tee

Quote from: Da_GPer on April 08, 2013, 03:38:19 AM
Have you thought about adding other things...
The only character I haven't pixeled and shown yet is a nagging wife. Other than that, and a few items, I just have to finish the frames of animation for the existing sprites and knock out the four backgrounds.

Quote from: M_tee on April 07, 2013, 12:21:55 PM
The goal is that for a complete beginner, after a couple of trial-and-error attempts at moving pieces and being denied by the computer, that these pieces would become self-explanatory--removing piece memorization from the  initial learner's curve.

Spoiler

Using wikipedia's piece names and order:
0-King, 1-Rook, 2-Bishop, 3-Gold General, 4-Silver General,
5-Knight, 6-Lance, 7-Pawn, 8-Promoted Rook, 9-Promoted Bishop

If anyone actually plays Shogi, please drop some feedback on this.  I own a couple of sets, but have never gotten around to playing it.

EDIT:

...there was nothing to set the King apart from the rest, I've put together these.  I'm leaning towards number 4.
[close]

Previously, I had thought the four lower ranks all upgraded to the Gold General. However, after reading more, they more promote to new pieces that move the same as the Gold General. With my previous designs, there would have been no distinction between these pieces, which is necessary because if you capture one it reverts to its unpromoted status.

So, I've changed the designs to use the same abbreviations as those used in English notation of the game, and altered the graphic movement for each to accommodate.

As is shown, I've opted to keep the letters right-side-up, even when on the opposing team, for ease of reading. Considering the small chance of it being played in a cocktail cabinet... it should be fine.

Also, the game originally showed a small graphic of a man playing against a robot. (Sadly, I don't think there's a two-player mode.)

Following are my sprites for the man, the robot, and each one's cursor for selecting pieces:

ChronoMoogle

Those new player sprites are really ccol but I think it's a little bit sad that the goofy nature of their faces is gone^^

M-Tee

Yeah, the original ones had charm. Aside from the fact that this is the earliest (and therefore probably simplest) Shogi game for the FC, the little dudes were my main decision in choosing this one.

Also, with some help from some cats over in the script forum, I've finished the menu.

Spoiler
[close]

April 12, 2013, 10:49:55 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Forgive the cross-posting in Language & Scripts forum, but I figure not everyone peruses both.

Above are my attempts at Kanji playing pieces using the abbreviations listed on Wikipedia:
王, 飛, 角, 金, 銀, 桂, 香, 歩,
     竜, 馬,      全, 圭, 杏, と

For those that can read it, play shogi, and/or have had to deal with tons of tiny pixelized Kanji, do these read well enough? Do any read incorrectly or would you suggest any changes?

April 13, 2013, 03:41:05 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Title screen complete.

Da_GPer

Quote from: M_tee on April 11, 2013, 12:23:42 PM
Title screen complete.

OMG! The new title screen looks amazing! It makes the old title look like a cheesy game made by some beginner to programming! :o

DarknessSavior

You are planning on keeping an option for people who actually play Shogi, right? As far as the pieces go, I mean.

Because if you just leave your random graphical edits in, I'd have to learn an entirely new system just to play. >_>

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

M-Tee

I was hoping the following would suffice for those that knew how to play. Or are the Kanji abbreviations not commonly used enough for that?

Quote from: M_tee on April 11, 2013, 12:23:42 PM

王, 飛, 角, 金, 銀, 桂, 香, 歩,
     竜, 馬,      全, 圭, 杏, と

DarknessSavior

I've played Shogi numerous times with different sets. They always had the complex pieces with two kanji. I can KINDA recognize some of them without the bottom kanji, but some are confusing.

For example, a promoted rook becomes 馬, which is the kanji I tend to associate with 桂馬, the knight.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

M-Tee

I see. Then, yeah. I'll probably make a full Kanji set. I checked a few different famicom roms, and I guess ugly cramped kanji are unavoidable.

Tsukiyomaru0

I'm really liking where this is heading to... Perhaps, aftwerwards, you could consider taking the chance on the GBA or GBC Shogi as well.

M-Tee

Hitting the other systems doesn't interest me, but doing other board games (in particular Xiangqi) for the NES does. So board game suggestions are welcome.

Was gonna try to knock out the Shogi hack quickly, but it's going to take a large amount of work getting the pieces to display correctly. I've already found the data, so I'm not worried about, it's just going to be tedious.

Other than that, I've got 3 weeks left for a deadline for a gallery exhibition of non-game related art. So I'll be back around then back to finish up Ruckus and Shogi and get back to updating the graphics in Pyron.

M-Tee

Okay, real world issues taken care of. Back in the game. I've been doing some more graphics for Pyron, including a title screen and some bosses as of late.

As for Shogi, got a bit of tedious work ahead, but I feel I grasp how to do what I need to.

As for Ruckus/Ikki, though. I would like to change the palette assignments for the backgrounds. The game is a near-launch title for the famicom, so I doubt it would be too difficult. I've already managed to work out how the sprite frames and attributes are formatted.

How would I go about locating the background palette attributes?

Da_GPer

Glad to see the projects are still going on. :D

M-Tee

For the player sprites, I only have victory and death sprites left to do. Also, is a screenshot of the first level so far.

As for the locating the background TSA palette attributes, I have: found the TSA. First, I checked after each set of four tiles for the attribute data. It is not together. Immediately before and after each 4 addresses defining which tiles to use is another set of addresses for another TSA. I have then searched the palettes in sequence of the TSA that were listed: for example, in the list order, the sets use palettes 00,01,00,00,01 respectively. I've searched for that string to see if all of the palettes were grouped together (which is how Bomberman arranges its sprite palette data).

How else should I go about trying to locate it?

EDIT:
I had forgotten about Dr. Floppy's Attribute Guide and PPU docs. Rereading them now, seems to be the solution to my problem.

Da_GPer

Im trying to figure out what the weapon the cowboy is using. It looks like a spear or a giant arrow. Shouldnt he use a gun?

M-Tee

An Indian spear. It's a temporary power up in the game. Originally a bamboo pole. He thrusts it front and back. The only guns in the game will be held by the bandits. The pole & sickle (now spear & horseshoe) are the only offensive attacks in the game. Very simple gameplay.

Googie

Haaaa! These hacks are pretty cool, can't wait until you finish 'em... :cookie:

M-Tee

Shogi hacks finished. Above are the new screenshots for the English and the Kanji versions. Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge to expand the rom and have an actual option to choose. Instead, I will release two .ips files.

Below is the original screen:
Spoiler
[close]

Known issue: the move number is to the left of the word move, so the result is "1 move; 2 move, 3 move, etc." There is not enough room for "move(s)," and although I can move the word move to the left, I can't figure out how to move the counter to the right. (It is made of changing bground tiles, not sprites) Therefore, I will probably leave it unchanged.

TESTING HELP WANTED
I'm gonna take a couple of weeks to put together a manual (like myBox-Art Bomberman one), and I'd like some people to test the rom for me.

Key things: the graphics consist almost entirely of background tiles which change as pieces move around board. I've had to alter much of the data controlling which tiles are used. However, the method for determining which to use is somewhat confusing, and I'm concerned I've overlooked something. Therefore, I'd love for someone to play through as much as they're willing and take screenshots of any graphical glitches that occur.

Any takers?

@DS,
Thanks for your input. However, I've been told from members of a shogi forum that the abbreviated Kanji are used for both televised broadcasts and are display options for many handheld and mobile phone versions of the game. That being said, I think there's market enough out there to justify a version with abbreviations. I also believe that making a full would offer nothing new compared to the existing games themselves.