News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacking Tips Help  (Read 1952 times)

Yumetaro

• THE CUTE PINK PUFF
    • View Profile
ROM Hacking Tips Help
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:30 am »
Hello, ROMHacking.net. I am starting on a new hack of Mega Man 4, I haven't figured out the name. The editor I am using is MegaFlex X, and I hope to be using hexidecimal for text. I want to know some tips to make my ROM hack good, at least for me to get a good start. Any great tips?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:00:45 am by Yumetaro »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacking Tips Help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
I am not sure that is so much ROM hacking tips (those stand at learn the basic limits of the game engine/game*, figure out how you could push that a bit further* by making a bit of effort and what it might take to go crazy*, also even if you are using tools a broad appreciation for what they are actually doing is a good idea- if it makes a change can you describe what each change is) as game design discussion. Fortunately I have found most ROM hackers and those that work with them to have gained a fair appreciation for the latter.

*the editor might have a limit on level size as it will not break from the standard game read routine but you could stall the player at a screen as timing sees them have to fight many enemies, you could try a simple level swap routine or you could rewrite the entire load/play routine to be a straight up streaming affair.

Megaman fandom is an odd thing and megaman fandom that goes in for ROM hacks are potentially even odder as to what they consider good and do not consider good may not line up with other notions for other games (serious potential for the "that isn't cricket" mentality to greet you).

However the engines are fairly versatile and could lend themselves to an awful lot.

This means you are going to have to ask what you want?

Do you just want to make a hard mode hack? I usually note megaman as the kind of game you can learn and randomness tends not to figure into high level play- perhaps add some in. Some prefer absolutely punishingly hard hacks.
Boss rush?
Hack for those that like to do speedruns?
I am not familiar with non GB megaman 4 but could you effectively force the use of a given weapon in a section?  Similar things could see you force the player to take levels in a given order.
From the above maybe alternative routes through a level are an option. I have been toying with the idea/term roguelike elements in recent times.
Speaking of the engine it is probably quite possible to make a Gunstar Heroes clone of sorts.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:52:33 pm »
1: Figure out what you want to do

2: Learn if it's possible to do

3: If it's possible, learn how to do it

Yumetaro

• THE CUTE PINK PUFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:51:58 pm »
I am not sure that is so much ROM hacking tips (those stand at learn the basic limits of the game engine/game*, figure out how you could push that a bit further* by making a bit of effort and what it might take to go crazy*, also even if you are using tools a broad appreciation for what they are actually doing is a good idea- if it makes a change can you describe what each change is) as game design discussion. Fortunately I have found most ROM hackers and those that work with them to have gained a fair appreciation for the latter.

*the editor might have a limit on level size as it will not break from the standard game read routine but you could stall the player at a screen as timing sees them have to fight many enemies, you could try a simple level swap routine or you could rewrite the entire load/play routine to be a straight up streaming affair.

Megaman fandom is an odd thing and megaman fandom that goes in for ROM hacks are potentially even odder as to what they consider good and do not consider good may not line up with other notions for other games (serious potential for the "that isn't cricket" mentality to greet you).

However the engines are fairly versatile and could lend themselves to an awful lot.

This means you are going to have to ask what you want?

Do you just want to make a hard mode hack? I usually note megaman as the kind of game you can learn and randomness tends not to figure into high level play- perhaps add some in. Some prefer absolutely punishingly hard hacks.
Boss rush?
Hack for those that like to do speedruns?
I am not familiar with non GB megaman 4 but could you effectively force the use of a given weapon in a section?  Similar things could see you force the player to take levels in a given order.
From the above maybe alternative routes through a level are an option. I have been toying with the idea/term roguelike elements in recent times.
Speaking of the engine it is probably quite possible to make a Gunstar Heroes clone of sorts.
Thanks. :D