News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pikachumanson's Personal Projects  (Read 21927 times)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Pikachumanson's Personal Projects
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:51:52 am »
The Sega Master System gets no love on this board. Well I'm here to change that. This is my first foray into the SMS format and it's going pretty well so far. I got the intro  translated and various other things translated so far. I'm hoping I can figure out the title screen rle compression but I have a good idea where it is in the rom.

Anyway, here are some pics of my progress for anybody that is interested.

March 23, 2013, 04:09:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I have managed to get the graphics decompressed for the word LIFE using a program made by Maxim over at SMS Power. Now what I gotta do is figure out the correct way to edit the graphics and reinsert them into the rom. Other than that the project is going along great. The game has A LOT of text but I'm getting them done and I know where all the pointers are so that's no problem. I figured in about a week or two the project should be completed or near completion.
I am learning more and more everyday!

March 25, 2013, 11:35:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Finally figured out the compression! I am stoked! It's my first time figuring out something this complicated! The A needs a little more work but i may leave it like that.

Changed life into vida.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:47:25 am by Pikachumanson »

johnny

• View Profile
Re: Golden Axe Warrior Spanish Translation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »
I completely agree with you. That's why I did my minor Zillion text edit. Its pretty awesome you've done this. You get much love from me for it. If ever you want to work together on anything and I could help in any way let me know. BTW Golden Axe Warrior gets a lot of negative criticism for being a Zelda clone. I always found it to be a pretty awesome game nonetheless. Even though I don't speak much Spanish (my sister in law is from Peru so I speak a little) it is pretty awesome you took the time to do this so more people can play this gem. Great job, you def got a friend in me for this and from one Sega fan to another I commend you. :)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »
Sure I could always use some help!
The translation is going along rather smoothly as most of the
pointers are super easy to find. What's going to be a bitch is changing the text on the title screen as I am saving that for last since changing the word life to vida on the player hud almost burnt me out.
I like Golden Axe Warrior too, that's why I decided to work on the game just so I can have an excuse to finally beat it.
What kind of work did you do on Zillion? Maybe we could do a translation on that and part 2.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:12:10 pm »
Sure I could always use some help!
The translation is going along rather smoothly as most of the
pointers are super easy to find. What's going to be a bitch is changing the text on the title screen as I am saving that for last since changing the word life to vida on the player hud almost burnt me out.
I like Golden Axe Warrior too, that's why I decided to work on the game just so I can have an excuse to finally beat it.
What kind of work did you do on Zillion? Maybe we could do a translation on that and part 2.

Here is the work I did on Zillion:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/879/

I'd love to do a more extensive Zillion hack. However, there's only so much you could do with a Master System game unless of course just like how Sonic Megamix was created by converting a Genesis ROM to Sega CD format, that could be done by converting Master System format to Sega CD format. Then the graphics could be improved as well as having an MP3 soundtrack. Of course there's always the route of it not being a ROM hack at all and just using an engine to create it.

Anyways, you're more than welcome to check out what I've done with Zillion. Hell even improve upon it if you want. I tried to mess around with Tile Molester as far as cleaning up some of the graphics but I was unfortunately unsuccessful so I just did a small minor text hack. But when you're not busy and done with all you need to so with anything else, I'm all for teaming up to further along Zillion and make one of my favorite titles even better! :D

As far a the title screen of Golden Axe Warrior, it may be a bit of a pain to do considering editing tiles for me even using tile molester is challenging.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:07:14 am »
To edit the graphics you'd have to deal with Phantasy Star Compression(for most games, some use other types like Codemaster games). Even with tools that are offered at SMS power like their Compression decoder and BMP2SMS and master tile converter it still rough going because you really have to know your z80 to make a good graphics hack because these tools often get the pallete wrong. Master Tile Converter seems to be the best one but it doesn't work right on my system.
I am also doing Ninja Gaiden the European Version and am pretty advanced on that. But you can help me out with the prototype and get that started. It's the same game but with a lot more text! That thing is like a book! Anytime you wanna do Zillion let me know. What did you wanna do with it?

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »
To edit the graphics you'd have to deal with Phantasy Star Compression(for most games, some use other types like Codemaster games). Even with tools that are offered at SMS power like their Compression decoder and BMP2SMS and master tile converter it still rough going because you really have to know your z80 to make a good graphics hack because these tools often get the pallete wrong. Master Tile Converter seems to be the best one but it doesn't work right on my system.
I am also doing Ninja Gaiden the European Version and am pretty advanced on that. But you can help me out with the prototype and get that started. It's the same game but with a lot more text! That thing is like a book! Anytime you wanna do Zillion let me know. What did you wanna do with it?

Well I think if I ever try to undertake anything it would probably be a hack of a Sega CD title. Reason being is I'm very much of a sound and music guy so I love superior quality sound and music. So as much as I love Zillion, I just think that I would want to go with the easiest way I could make an awesome soundtrack for a ROM hack.

To do with Golden Axe Warrior, Zillion, etc graphically to make it HD would be something someone like Macbee could likely help with. However, really nice sound in Zillion or any other Master System game unfortunately as far as I am concerned is likely not possible. I was reading up on it, the Master System format is in no way interchangeable at all with the Sega CD format.

More or less I think overhauling Earthworm Jim for Sega CD may actually be a more fruitful endeavor now that I think of it.

Anyways getting back to talking about Golden Axe Warrior, Zillion, Quartet, and the like I can honestly say I can't forget these games. Master System has unforgettable titles and its great that you're bringing this to light by making any type of Master System hack even if its just a translation. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:24:49 pm by johnny »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:54 am »
I wish hacks were easier to do on the sms. But you really gotta know your stuff. And for all the trouble you go through i think the juice is just not worth the squeeze hence, this why the snes and genesis also do not usually get this treatment. If there was a sega cd game i could do then it would be to finish the translation of cosmic fantasy 1.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:46:50 pm »
I wish hacks were easier to do on the sms. But you really gotta know your stuff. And for all the trouble you go through i think the juice is just not worth the squeeze hence, this why the snes and genesis also do not usually get this treatment. If there was a sega cd game i could do then it would be to finish the translation of cosmic fantasy 1.

If you understand Japanese I would think the text as well as English dialogue MP3s shouldn't be too difficult to get going. Unless you wanted to translate that to Spanish. Then it would be a bit harder to get Spanish dialogue and actors to speak it perhaps.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:47:43 pm »
I'm not sure there is any MP3 Spoken dialog in Comsic Fantasy... But I'd love to get that project off the ground for an english translation, if your down for it?

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
I'm not sure there is any MP3 Spoken dialog in Comsic Fantasy... But I'd love to get that project off the ground for an english translation, if your down for it?

Once I get my PC back sure, but the main problem is that I really don't know Japanese. The only way I could think to translate Japanese to English is Google Translate and it is nowhere near accurate. Some words it translates completely the wrong way. But there is a Hex Editor I had on Ubuntu that can def read through things.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »
I don't use google translate either. Yuck! And it gets the syntax totally wrong!
I've been studying up on it big time though especially the kanji.

In other news I just had repointer my my whole Golden Axe hack. Thank God, I had a few backups available!

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:22:17 pm »
I don't use google translate either. Yuck! And it gets the syntax totally wrong!
I've been studying up on it big time though especially the kanji.

In other news I just had repointer my my whole Golden Axe hack. Thank God, I had a few backups available!

Backups are always good. Minor setback but I'm sure you'll work through it :). Yes I realized never use Google Translate for any valid translations. Google Translate especially fails when it comes to recognizing dialects of a specific language. It may translate Japanese for example but not recognize that people in Tokyo may speak differently than people in Nagasaki.

Same in South America. Different countries have different dialects of Spanish. I suppose even while you're translating Golden Axe in Spanish, its in a dialect that you know well. Not necessarily a dialect someone else may use. For a fat person for example my sister in law says Gordito where as some people say Gordo.

Same as English different words can mean different things depending on where you live. Pissed for example in the US means someone is livid whereas people in Britain use Pissed as meaning drunk. Google Translate would never take something like that into account.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:30:04 pm by johnny »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:19:02 am »
Dialog's done. Doing items then the ending then gotta do a play through.

I'm doing it in latin american spanish. Puerto Rican dialect i guess.

But at least, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project!

I am also working on translating Zelda 2 to spanish.

April 18, 2013, 12:40:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Golden Axe Warrior= squishing bugs

Zelda 2= moving right along. Should be done in a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:40:15 am by Pikachumanson »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Pikachumanson\'s Personal Projects
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:53 pm »
Golden Axe = more than halfway done the game and squashed some more bugs. The map data is between 0000A000 and 0000C000 just in case anybody feels like making a map editor for the game. I had to find that to fix two game breaking bugs. I fixed more dialog errors.

Zelda 2 = got more dialog done and resized the dialog box so i can fit in just a bit more dialog. Thanx to Trax's document that explained exactly how to do it.

April 24, 2013, 03:25:47 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Translation is done with Golden Axe Warrior. I have added accents and tilds to the letters and i have to hack the title screen. Other than that, it is playable.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:17:25 am by Pikachumanson »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Pikachumanson\\\'s Personal Projects
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:38 am »
Golden Axe warrior is done save for the title screen, which i may go back and do in a later update. Zelda 2 is halfway done and i have decided to finish Outlanders, the menu is good and understandable. I just don't have the skill and asm knowledge to expand it the way I really wanted it. Though if someone feels like taking a crack at it you are more than welcome to. Until then, i will continue the translation as i see fit and i will study the text engine and see about repointering the dialog to the free space in the rom.

May 15, 2013, 06:45:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The Spanish translation of Zelda has been completed and submitted to the database. Hopefully it has no problems being accepted.

Now it's time to get back on track with Outlanders and finished translating that game to English!

May 19, 2013, 05:00:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, the first area of Outlanders is done. Started work on the second area. I am looking for someone who can translate my 22k script. No big deal, I'll find out what it means eventually. I'd just like to expedite the process.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:00:30 pm by Pikachumanson »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Pikachumanson\\\\\\\'s Personal Projects
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 02:30:47 am »
While I am reorganizing the script for Outlanders for my translator I have started translating Ninja Gaiden for the Game Gear into Spanish.

May 25, 2013, 12:22:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ninja Gaiden for Game Gear is now translated in Spanish and is now awaiting approval from the mods.

May 26, 2013, 02:00:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I am almost done my first Japanese to English translation! It is called Sansu 4 Nen Keisan or in English Elementary 4th Grade Math Improvement Game. Just running through the game to see if I missed anything!

May 26, 2013, 08:38:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
All right, my first Japanese to English translation is up! I feel like a real hacker now, lol!
Now it's time to get back to work on that Outlanders script!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:38:43 pm by Pikachumanson »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Pikachumanson's Personal Projects
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »
Heys!  :D Why did you skip Grades 1, 2 3, and 5+6? There should be a continuum!  ::)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 12:02:30 am »
4 was the easiest for me to work on out of the ones I checked out. It already had an english alphabet.
Grades 1 and 2, I gotta figure out the table because while the alphabet is there when I look at it in the graphic editor, it doesn't show up anywhere in the FCEUX PPU viewer. And there doesn't seem to be any english text anywhere in the actual gameplay. Which is understandable because it's geared for little Japanese kids who are still learning their own language. Haven't played 3 or 5+6 yet.
I think 5+6 should be similar to working on part 4. So I'll probably work on that one next but, I do plan on
completing the whole series.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 12:43:27 am »
You can always create a set of letters where the PPU viewer shows any free blank tiles. Honestly haven't checked the Math game series though. In effect, you would need a different set of .tbl files to make encoding thru hexeditor work.

Btw, your Devil Bros. hack is for the 1993 Mario Bros. Classic Edition & not the 1983 Mario Bros., right? Somebody have pointed this out recently.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Pikachumanson\'s Personal Projects
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:11 am »
Yea that is what I am going to do for earlier Sansu games. There are quite a few Kanji I can use to convert to the alaphabet. But I gotta be careful what I do because the graphics could be connected to another part of menu like it was in Sansu 4 Nen. I'll figure my way out around it. I've dealt with roms that have had multiple tables before. Ninja Gaiden for Game Gear and Kid Icarus for the Nes come to mind.

It says 1983 on the the title screen. So I figure it's the original. The CRC is in the rom info. Or someone can shoot me a message if they wanna play it that bad. I don't think the rom is hard to find at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nvm it is the 1993 version.

May 29, 2013, 12:07:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Keisan Game: Sansuu 1 Toshi is finished. That was a pretty easy hack. Work has begun on Keisan Game: Sansuu 2 Toshi and it's proving a little more difficult than anticapted but, it's still doable. I may have it done in a couple days.

Still working on the script for Outlanders. I guess that will get done when it gets done. But that's cool I'll continue to work on it daily and then see about getting it translated once I finish getting all the text in chronological order.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:07:35 am by Pikachumanson »