News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games with just ONE problem that keeps you from enjoying it  (Read 21668 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Games with just ONE problem that keeps you from enjoying it
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Its that one nagging thing that keeps you from enjoying an otherwise great game

Mario 64 ds: having to press a button to run, I wish I could set it so I hate to hold the button to walk not hold it to run, would it be hard to make a par code to fix this?

Chip and Dale: Getting flowers makes a TERRIBLE noise, we need a romhack that removes or replaces this.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:50:12 am by Chpexo »

Higgs

• View Profile
Re: Games with just ONE problem that keeps you from enjoying it
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »
Slow text or movement. I got bad ADD and a insanely fast reading level so that combo put against a game that scrolls text at you like your a 1st grader just drives me up the wall! Best example of this is MOON RPG for ps1, the games a friggen masterpiece but its a CHORE to play with how slow it all is =/ I'm praying that the english translaton will change this D:

Theirs a ton of games out there I'd like to speed up that have been released in english also. If I had the technical skills I'd just go thru every slow game and give it instant text scroll haha =)
-higgs

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:23:28 pm »
Mario vs Donkey Kong has some very questionable design decisions.  It's been a while and I forget some of the details, but it ended up making much more sense to reset the game completely each time I messed up rather than use the in-game restart function at the cost of a life.  There are these two-part levels where your only chance of making the target score is to play through both parts flawlessly at the same time, but if you mess up in the second part, you're restarted at the beginning of the second part with no chance of making the score target.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »
One thing that comes to mind is the random dungeons in Lufia : The Legend Returns.
Totally ruins the game.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »
Anything made by LJN for the NES has the immediate problem of being made by LJN for the NES.

Zelda II's music isn't as good as the first game's.

Final Fantasy IX is too slow.

Doom on the PSX doesn't have the metal music.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
Any NES title that is pretty long that doesn't have some kind of save or password feature. I freaking love Blaster Master, but I'm not sure if I want to set aside an entire day to try to beat it. Also games that require you to play on a higher difficulty to access content. Doom for the SNES is the worst possible example of that. You can't play all of the episodes unless you are playing on a high enough difficulty. Try playing Doom on Nightmare with a SNES controller. It isn't fun.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:37:36 pm »
Dragon's Dogma has just a few problems, and though it's not one singular problem, it is a collection of small things that are relatively easy to fix.  Stuff like an option for being able to turn off the helper's voices, or an item system that doesn't require pausing the game, or being able to pause during a battle.  Little intuitive problems that make a huge long-term difference.

Jack-of-All Games

• Yup. I'm a video game geek.
    • View Profile
    • Jack-of-All Games
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:55:10 pm »
Rayman 1 - Its brutal difficulty

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:56 pm »
Dragon's Dogma has just a few problems, and though it's not one singular problem, it is a collection of small things that are relatively easy to fix.  Stuff like an option for being able to turn off the helper's voices, or an item system that doesn't require pausing the game, or being able to pause during a battle.  Little intuitive problems that make a huge long-term difference.

Easy to fix my arse, they're making us buy the entire game again to get the expansion content and their excuse is it'd be too hard to just make it dlc. I don't think they care about easy to fix.

Mine is Deadly Premonition because the controls just seem to drive me bananas. Doesn't help that supergreatfriend's LP of it is good, too.
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »
Anything made by LJN for the NES has the immediate problem of being made by LJN for the NES.
LJN didn't make any games; they just published them. ;)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:44 pm »
I freaking love Blaster Master
Speaking about Blaster Master, I think this game is ruined by it's terrible boss battles.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »
Easy to fix my arse, they're making us buy the entire game again to get the expansion content and their excuse is it'd be too hard to just make it dlc. I don't think they care about easy to fix.

Mine is Deadly Premonition because the controls just seem to drive me bananas. Doesn't help that supergreatfriend's LP of it is good, too.
And sadly if they release it to PC, I'll probably buy it... HRMMMMMM.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »
I and others have already mentioned this, but here it is again:

Permanent death.  I'm talking about non story deaths, mainly in the Fire Emblem franchise.  This also applies to the zombification in Ogre Battle 64.  It's lame, cheap, and subjectively realistic.  It is somehow realistic to have death be permanent but not allow you to do things differently during a stage to avoid it (like fighting an entire battle differently than the story would allow).  It's like having free will with only bad choices.  Definitely a poison pill for me.

The other issue for me often involves time limits.  These can often ruin a game.  The campaign missions in certain Starcraft stages and, apparently, all the stages in the sequel are a turn off.  Occasionally, time limits can be okay, but using them everywhere just becomes an annoyance that can prevent me from enjoying the game as a whole.
When Reason Fails

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:58 pm »
I'm talking about non story deaths, mainly in the Fire Emblem franchise.
I haven't tried a hack that does it or whatever, but I imagine Fire Emblem games would be way too easy if characters were revived at the end of each stage. You could just send all your units and if you get them killed fine, you can continue. Nothing would stop you from winning.
I personally consider the game over whenever someone is death (even if I could continue technically, I've never done so).

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
Moon for nintendo ds buggy as fuck and freezes midgame.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 07:02:29 pm »
The SFC Version of Undercover Cops: no 2-player option.
It could have been the best Beat em Up on the console. How it is, its just a overtriced collectors item. The game was designed around being played with multiple players (unlike Ninja Warriors, for example) so it was the worst game-design idea ever to ditch multiplayer support.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »
Games in which I am given ways to optimize my status/party in tedious ways. Such tediousness can be so boring. Still I always end up doing that. And damn, all that power is pointless when the game turns out to be easy. I have stopped playing many games without finishing them for this reason. I'm not sure how straightforwardly I apply this logic, but as an example I have never finished Final fantasy tactics.. either I get bored stealing an item in a certain battle or I find despair in the thought of leveling up to level 99 just to steal equipment from random encounters and then going backwards to level 1 and continue. And gaining JP by repeatedly using some pointless skill in a battle that lasts forever.. similar logic applies.

I suppose this topic is close to "what I consider good/bad game design", which unfortunately seems tedious to even think about. Apparently flawless games are very rare, and for a typical game it may be more about the question of tolerating boredom or the pointlessness in gaming. No pain, no gain, huh?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 07:30:46 pm »
Many, MANY games have the whole 'You can't get past this area because locked, rubble, broken, etc..' when literally, all the player would have to do is side-step a rock and they're past it.  But instead you have to do a convoluted maze of sorts that leads into a bunch of other crap.

I play the games regardless but when they do that, it urks me so much.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 09:21:10 pm »
FE12 and 13 have "casual" mode where if a unit dies they just come back next scenario. Doesn't really matter to me because I don't care for FE11/12 and I don't have a 3DS for 13.
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits