News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pointer problem  (Read 2250 times)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Pointer problem
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »
I've run into a weird(for me) problem. I am translating Outlanders for the nes. The problem is that there are certian words in the game that appear in multiple phrases but are tied to a single pointer. Take the word badge for intstance. It is a keyword and it has it's own pointer. But there are multiple where it appears as the first word in a japanese sentence when i would really like it in the end of a english sentence. But if I change the pointer around then i end messing up the instances where the word that's tied to that pointer in the game.

For example.

Badge   Go collect 5

I would to make:

Go collect five badges.

Has anyone ran into a problem like that? If so, what did you do to fix it?
Is there anyway to erase the badge pointer for that sentence?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Pointer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
Is this text part of the main script? Or is it some misc text? Usually certain items/words are called in a script with a special byte that loads an item etc. However, whenever you're dealing with misc text that's broken up into parts, the it usually loads the whole thing into RAM until it is finally pieced together then written to the screen. With the later, this stuff is usually hard-coded and the code needs to be rearranged until it displays the way you want it to.

That's the general gist of it, but it's hard to say more without knowing the exact nature.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »
There are two big blocks of text in the game and it is part of the first one. So basically i'll have to search for the special yes? But the text with the special can transfer between the two blocks.
What do i just change the value or something?

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:55:19 pm »
If i understood your problem right, you are confronted with what is called usually a dictionary.
Whole words that are called with some bytes between the text itself.
If i am right, you just need to translate the word in the dictionary and then move around the byte that call it where you need it in the text.
If the byte that calls it is different everytime, then it's maybe some kind of "go back x pointers and insert y words".
Can you post a screenshot with at least 2 instances of the same word is called can be seen??

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:45:11 am »
here you go. I would love to find the dictionary if that's the case!

Note: It's not always in the beginning of the sentence sometime it's in the middle too.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »
You have found the location of the word. Now you need to find how the game knows to use that specific location. Find the location of the main text and look for some sort of control code at the spot where the word appears.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
 :-[ My bad, I mean screenshots in hex form (rom open in an hex editor) not ingame :p