News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: sony just announced the playstation 4  (Read 15454 times)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: sony just announced the playstation 4
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »
I want to want a Vita, but I keep not having any reasons to.

There was a time when I was massively excited for the Vita.  But... let's say I bebopped down to Walmart to buy one today.  The cheapest I could get just a wi-fi model is $250: http://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-Vita-w-Wi-Fi/19720912

And that doesn't even come with a memory card.  And even a simple 8gb memory card is almost $30:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-Vita-8GB-Memory-Card-PS-Vita-PlayStation-Vita/19715031

So with taxes included, I'm looking at almost $300 for a Vita that is barebones with a tiny memory card.  OKAY...

And then... where are the games?  Where are the salivation inducing exclusives?  Oh... there... aren't... any...  yet.

Earth to Sony.  Your hardware is not made of platinum and gold and you are still snooty from successes you had generations ago.   Cut your prices and eat some humble pie.  Otherwise be prepared to continuously have your gaming division in the red.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »
In Japan the price of the Vita was just slashed by a third (even more for the 3G or whatever it uses version).

(I think the Vita is currently a better paper weight, just mentioning this cause it seems relevant).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
This isn't surprising.  They're trying to minimize losses, and the additional sales from a price drop may actually hurt their bottom line more.  They're going to have to get more compelling software on there to get the sales up.  It's just not there right now.  I've said it before, but if the 3DS lineup is "weak", then Vita ranks as "awful".  The sad thing is, I want one.  But Sony has to give me a compelling reason to buy one.  And right now, as it stands, if I were going to buy a new system, I see more from the Wii U than the Vita, anyway.  Harsh, but true.

C'mon, Sony!  Pull it together!
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 03:13:15 pm »
They're going to have to get more compelling software on there to get the sales up.  It's just not there right now.

Yeah that's my kicker too.  The number one thing I want from handhelds is JRPGs/SRPGs... and thus far, at least the 3DS has a few good ones.  But the Vita has... a Persona 4 port and uh... Ragnarok Odyssey?  Uh... what else?  In the same time frame that the Vita's been out, the PSP had quite a few stateside JRPGs in comparison---time frame wise.

Not that it matters.  I sit here and whine about not having enough time to play all the games I already have, and then I go and whine because there aren't new games yet for a platform I don't even need to buy!  Excuse me while I go punch myself in the nuts.  :-[

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »
Not that it matters.  I sit here and whine about not having enough time to play all the games I already have, and then I go and whine because there aren't new games yet for a platform I don't even need to buy!  Excuse me while I go punch myself in the nuts.  :-[

I keep thinking that myself... (about myself). I've hardly used my PS3 (or Xbox360)... and lately, even my Wii hasn't been getting much use. ... I mean, I've literally been playing on my iPod more than on my 3DS... That's... That's probably very sad, isn't it?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »
Yes, there's that, too.  I think we may be addicted to new experiences.  I know it's probably the reason I flit from game to game, and once the sheen wears off, what's there usually isn't compelling enough to keep me drawn in.  And we keep looking for the next great thing.  So, really, the games I finish are ones that are either good, or I've forced myself to FINISH IT FOR GOODNESS SAKE.

More of those first-world problems, I suppose.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:19 pm »
As long as we remember our gaming resolutions for this year, we'll be fine.   :thumbsup:

Although I should add, I am seriously trying to alter my mind to where I only buy the best of the best in genres I know for a fact I get the most mileage from.  Luckily though, on the 3DS and PS3 there's just a handful of stuff I want.  But the 360 is a whole different story.  There's a very good reason I haven't bought one yet.  That reason is called my poor weakling wallet.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:20 pm »
As long as we remember our gaming resolutions for this year, we'll be fine.   :thumbsup:
Resolution?  I don't remember a resolution.  No sir.  Not at all.  Someone clearly hacked my account.  ;)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »
Oh huh... I already broke my resolution... Gotta keep it more in mind!
Who will quote me next?

Drag0nwind

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »
I think the cooler news is that Blizzard has announced a new partnership with Sony to start releasing their games on PS3 and PS4. First game to be released is Diablo III. Boo yeah!!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011152/blizzard-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership

Not really into consoles, but, whenever my brother comes home on leave, we have trouble finding a decent co-op game to play, especially dungeon hunter types. This will make a welcome addition!!

:crazy:

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 04:36:04 pm »
edit:

nevermind it was a dumb and old link --- carry on

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 04:43:42 pm »
Now I want to know what that dumb and old link was. :/
Who will quote me next?

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:04 pm »
This?

Nice to hear they aren't screwing over resales, despite patenting a way to do so. 

Still, the lynchpin of this generation is a game worth playing.  So far, the 3DS has me hooked with the newest Fire Emblem.  As for the other platforms, who knows when something awesome will really be released.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
That's actually a pretty cute Link.

Approved.

...Oh, right, the PlayStation 4. Yeah, woo, more Sony. Yeah, woohoo. So happy and stuff. Yeah, woo, super enthused.

But seriously, that Link is super cute.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:57 pm »
This?

Nice to hear they aren't screwing over resales, despite patenting a way to do so. 

Still, the lynchpin of this generation is a game worth playing.  So far, the 3DS has me hooked with the newest Fire Emblem.  As for the other platforms, who knows when something awesome will really be released.
Omg, X-Play. I miss that show.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »
Realistically I'm rather disappointed by it.  In some ways, I'd honestly be more appreciative of a system that was about being efficient, rather than just more everything.  I feel like a big part of the reason videogames were so good in the 90s wasn't just because of the designers, but because the designers had real constraints.  As budgets soar disproportionately and the continued rhetoric of more is better, regardless of substance, there is a real problem both with the developers who make this stuff, and the people who continuously buy into it.  I've basically stopped buying all games that weren't made twenty years ago... which either says a lot about me, or a lot about the industry today, depending on how you look at it (or both).

In some ways it is more efficient. The CPU is far smaller and faster in terms of performance than the old Cell monstrosity. There will be some cases where the Cell is faster, but those will be rare enough. Cell had a tremendously lower IPC than the eight core Jaguar will, plus it only had access to seven threads in actual usage. We are not use how many of the total eight threads will be usable by games on the PS4... If Sony continues its pattern, one thread will be reserved, like on the PS3 where one SPE was reserved.

Cell in total had nine cores; the single PPE, which was a much more generalized core, and the eight SPEs/SPUs. The SPUs were specialized as hell, and that in most ways was the PS3's downfall. A lot of standard workloads that ran faster on the PPE ran slower on the SPE/SPUs. If it'd had nine PPEs somehow it would have made the X360 look like a little bitch CPU wise.

The Jaguar cores(Which seem to have pretty decent IPC, if pre-release information is accurate plus support for all sorts of neato vector instruction sets that Sony loves), run at a much lower 1.6 GHZ clockspeed if rumors are correct. This will lower power draw significantly compared to, say, eight mildly or heavily enhanced PPEs, and even compared to the PS3's current set up. Jaguar is a CPU arch that can run in tablets for fuck's sakes.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:39 pm »
I suppose I should say that I'm disappointed by the PS4 because of what it promotes, not necessarily because of what it is.

SidGallup

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
just gonna leave this here

youtube.com/watch?v=EIEN4u2nH5E&feature=player_embedded

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »
Based on Sony's track record with the PS3, PSP and Vita having in total 6 games I actually enjoyed (guess which one had 0!), I'm definitely sitting this one out until there's more than just generic FPS shit. No amount of social integration or touch pads are going to make a console worth it if there's no good games. The vita proves that.