News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Albert Odyssey - snes

Started by denim, February 18, 2013, 11:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denim

Hello guys.

I would like to know if i could find some help here to translate Albert Odyssey. The good romhackers already know that AO text is storaged in a weird way. There are pointers for each line of each dialogue. So, there is not line breaker or page breakers marks. That would be the reason many people forgot about the game translation, since insert the text again would be a pain.

My idea is rewrite the text parse and print functions so we could use convencional script translations, for example, using line break marks, etc.

Ofc, since i was suposed to change print text routines, why not add vwf to the game?

So, I'm showing the first result of my work and I ask everyone here if someone could help with the text translation.

There are some minor bugs i need to fix, like the arrow of the baloon that vanished after my modifications and the auto-size of baloons that are evaluating its size as the text were fixed-sized, like the original release.

And if some of you guys who have already tried translate the game, please tell me the problems that my solution could bring to the hack if u identify some of them.

KingMike

I don't know if you want to ask if you can help out Dynamic Designs. I've heard they've already got a translator waiting for both games whenever someone can get a script dump.
I know their main hacker Bongo` is a smart guy, but he's a busy guy too. So maybe he can use help?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

denim

Quote from: KingMike on February 18, 2013, 12:32:53 PM
I don't know if you want to ask if you can help out Dynamic Designs. I've heard they've already got a translator waiting for both games whenever someone can get a script dump.
I know their main hacker Bongo` is a smart guy, but he's a busy guy too. So maybe he can use help?

Thanks KingMike. I will contact Bongo´ and Wildbill. They really have a translator but they are waiting for a good script dump and Bongo' could not finish that since he is too busy with another projects and real life too.

I hope this contact could be the start of a new game translation  :)

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: denim on February 18, 2013, 01:20:22 PM
Thanks KingMike. I will contact Bongo´ and Wildbill. They really have a translator but they are waiting for a good script dump and Bongo' could not finish that since he is too busy with another projects and real life too.

I hope this contact could be the start of a new game translation  :)

I'd just caution you against giving Bill complete creative control over the end result. He's not bad as a writer/editor, but his stuff tends to veer way further over the localization line than most of us would really want or expect.

gadesx

Pennywise

If it's possible it'd be nice to see the font from the Saturn game in this game. Nice work so far.

denim

Quote from: gadesx on February 18, 2013, 06:49:30 PM
amazing work  :beer:
Quote from: Pennywise on February 18, 2013, 09:40:36 PM
...Nice work so far...
Thanks

Quote from: Pennywise on February 18, 2013, 09:40:36 PM
If it's possible it'd be nice to see the font from the Saturn game in this game. Nice work so far.
Well, every font 8x16 is possible to be used. I just got a random one of 'fonts' page of RHDN website for testing purposes  :-[
I dont know if it is possible extract the saturn font from some emulator or debugger. If yes, the conversion could be done easily with tile molester, I guess. If not, the solution is someone draw the font pixel by pixel and send to me  ;D

The game has ocidental alphabet for capital letters only, so small caps really must be created. I was thinking in use the capital letters of the original font (almost fixed size) and create only the small caps letters. The result:

Weird?

kingofcrusher

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on February 18, 2013, 03:38:05 PM
I'd just caution you against giving Bill complete creative control over the end result. He's not bad as a writer/editor, but his stuff tends to veer way further over the localization line than most of us would really want or expect.

Seconded, their FEDA script was really bizarre. I wouldn't say bad since the grammar and everything was excellent, but the actual writing (it was very easy to tell where new stuff was added or liberties were taken with the original) was very jarring, I got the impression that the writer had a vastly over-inflated sense of his ability. The hacking and programming were beautiful though!

ChronoMoogle

I thought the same about the Lennus II translation... (the first city full with believers of the hero was a little bit too pun- and joke-filled for example, act like this in front of your lord... well)
I hope he does only add stuff like this to Chaos Seed when it really fits the situation.

Eien Ni Hen

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on February 18, 2013, 03:38:05 PM

I really liked their work on Silva Saga 2. Although the "What in the Wide World of Sports?" line from Mystic Ark always stuck with me, too, for better or worse.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: Eien Ni Hen on February 19, 2013, 07:51:06 PM
I really liked their work on Silva Saga 2. Although the "What in the Wide World of Sports?" line from Mystic Ark always stuck with me, too, for better or worse.

At least with Mystic Ark you have options ;)

ChronoMoogle

I also enjoyed the writing in Silva Saga II and and Burning Heroes (I didn't play them to the end though since the games itself were lacking quality at some point to maintain a long-time interest).
I can't really decide if I should play DDs or Aeons version of Mystic Ark though, it's still on my "to play"-list.

KingMike

So you guys are saying he's like the Working Designs of fanslations? :)
Well, then I guess he'll bring consistency to this.

yugisokubodai

Sorry for necromancing.
But I can't hold my feeling seeing this topic  :thumbsup:
Maybe I can help with the script.

KingMike

I would ask on the Dynamic Designs forum but I think the issue was technical problems more than lack of translation support.

denim

Quote from: KingMike on January 01, 2016, 12:45:12 PM
I would ask on the Dynamic Designs forum but I think the issue was technical problems more than lack of translation support.

Yeah, you are right. They have or had one translator but there are technical problems in this game. It is very difficulty change text printer routines. The game parses individually each line of one dialog. So, different dialogs might have shared lines. Thus, one needs to rewrite the code in order to remove this 'feature' and do a tradicional text parser. I have done something to fix that and it worked good, as far I tested. But, the lack of translators discourages us to continue in one project... But now, with the help of yugisokubodai, I can go back to this project. I hope it can be finished.

Bongo`

Quote from: denim on January 01, 2016, 02:10:28 PM
there are technical problems in this game. It is very difficulty change text printer routines. The game parses individually each line of one dialog. So, different dialogs might have shared lines. Thus, one needs to rewrite the code in order to remove this 'feature' and do a tradicional text parser.
Yes. I recall locating the block of data that contained string pointers. Each 16-bit value pointed
to a string in the text list. After figuring out what I was gonna do, I just lost interest for a while.
Then I recall hearing someone stating that they have figured out the game and they had posted
screen shots for the game. I assume that was you, denim?
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

denim

Quote from: Bongo` on January 05, 2016, 06:41:25 PM
  Yes. I recall locating the block of data that contained string pointers. Each 16-bit value pointed
to a string in the text list. After figuring out what I was gonna do, I just lost interest for a while.
Then I recall hearing someone stating that they have figured out the game and they had posted
screen shots for the game. I assume that was you, denim?

Yeah, that was me Bongo`

I really have interest in translate this game...

Kallisto

Glad to see this revived in some fashion. Albert series has been one of those forgotten trilogies, and most people just know the saturn game (which I think is the third game)? There was a BS Albert game too, but I have no clue what that is.

Panzer88

Has anyone done any work on the SNES Magic Knight Rayearth by Pandora, the same studio that did Arabian Nights?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client