News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Outlanders NES translation  (Read 10391 times)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Outlanders NES translation
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:39 pm »
I am putting my ninja gaiden project on hold for something I got into romhacking to do in the first place, and that's make japanese to english translations. I am working with Vaccy on translating this game. I had tried before but I got a little frustrated when I couldn't get DTE to work in the game. But we took a new approach and now the project is going full speed ahead!

Here are a few pics to show our progress:

Japanese intro

Translated intro

Japanese menu

Translated Menu

first line of game

translated

I'll keep you updated on our progress!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:59:13 pm by Pikachumanson »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Outlanders NES translation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:58 pm »
The intro is a bit off:

The Earth was attacked by the Galactic Empire. Tetsuya and the Galactic Princess Karm decided to get married for the sake of peace on both of their planets. They set off for the Empire in order to the Emperor's permission. However, Tetsuya was captured, and Karm was taken away. You now play the role of Tatsuya, who must save Karm and get the Empire's permission to marry her.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »
Karm is spelled Kahm in the Manga and in the anime. That's where I got that from. It's just sounds better, I think. And as for my abridged translation... there simply wasn't enough space with their portraits being there for me to put the correct version. But your translation made me think maybe I should omit that line about them fleeing the emperor and adding that Kahm is a princess, I'll go back and fix what I can.

Thanks for looking it over DarknessSavior!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have retranslated the intro as DarknessSavior put it. I will also give him credit for helping us translate when this project is done. The only thing I couldn't fit was the last part so I improvised since it really is about saving the earth which if you read the manga is the planet where both races originate from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I corrected my little mistake there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:22:42 am by Pikachumanson »

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:19:58 am »
playing on real hardware would result in the sides being unreadable due to overscan. you're better off keeping the text single-spaced the whole way through and using double-spacing to separate paragraphs; even if you don't adjust the margins back, the two rows at the bottom are a bit jarring.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:23 am »
Thanx, i want it to look as professional as possible. I'll try to do that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:29:41 pm by Pikachumanson »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:19 pm »
I also thought it looked strange that only the last line was single-spaced, and I would also suggest single-spaced lines with double-spacing between paragraphs if you can do that.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:33:20 pm »
Yeah I plan on making the corrections just so it can look right on the actual hardware. Maybe sometime tonight. I don't know how the rest of you all feel when it comes to your work but I think it would be badass if someone did decide that me and Vaccy's work was good enough to put on a repro cart in the future but, that really isn't my goal. Right now I'm just concentrating on getting this project done and have it working right on the emulator as we both still have a lot of work to do!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 01:19:55 am »
The first area of the game is done. On to the second area!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:16 am »
Sigh... It stinks when you start a project with someone and they drop off the face of the earth leaving you to do the thing yourself. Oh well, I got almost 1/3 of the game is done and progress is still coming along smoothly.  I work on the game daily and I try to do at least three lines of text even on my busiest days.

This project, along with Ninja Gaiden, has greatly increased my knowledge of nes pointers and I also learned about different ways text is stored in the game. Meaning I found the special bytes of certian words and phrases in the game and I can now move them to various places in the sentence they belong to instead of just leaving them in their original place and trying to make a sensible thought out of it.

I'm having fun with this project and can't wait til it's finished so I put my knowledge to use on the next project!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:15:16 am by Pikachumanson »

Jazz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:00:32 am »
It looks really good so far. I would change the screen menu if you know how to. Try putting each item on a seperate line so i takes the entire height of the screen and allow you to have full text instead of abbreviating menus.
Discord: Jazz#9202

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:43 am »
I know how... and it would increase the quality of my hack。At the time I was thinking about how original nes and genesis rpgs abbreviated their stuff and I didn't think the player would mind too much. But I will save that for when all the games text is finished so I can have a good idea of how I am going to move the pointers around and expand the text box as well.

Thank you for your input!

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »
I would recommend moving the menu box to the left by 4 tiles and extending the length by 4 tiles, which would give you enough room to expand those options to 6 characters a piece. Chances are the menu data is hard-coded and would only require a few byte changes to make work. But if the data is stored raw, you'd need to relocate it to place with a bit more room.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:41:39 am »
I hope i can relocate it because that area of the rom is chock full of data. I'll work on it tomorrow.

Jazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 01:27:36 am »
Do X & Y co-ordinates sit around the pointer for the menu text like they do in a few GBA/GBC games? Happy to take a look into it if so.
Discord: Jazz#9202

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:58 am »
Haven't checked but i am more than happy to let you look. I have been concentrating on npc text all this time. The menu text is in a spot in the away from the main text blocks and the submenu text is right below it. It is there with the dialog box data.

Pm me your email and i'll send what i got along with the offset where the menu text is.

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 04:14:17 pm »
what the status of this? Still being worked on?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »
Considering the project is old enough that its screenshots were posted on ImageShack (and, because that site has since gone to shit, are now lost forever), the last post was 3 years ago, and Pikachumanson hasn't been active in months, yeah, I'd say it's dead.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 05:21:16 am »
what the status of this? Still being worked on?

This project is most likely dead, unless somebody else is working on it (which is unlikely, since it's not really a stellar game by any means).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:43:15 pm by cccmar »

Vaccy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »
Yep, dead. Like a jerk I disappeared, and then it looks like it fizzled out for Pikachumanson.

He progressed a lot farther than I did, but if I come across any notes I had I'd be sure to share them. But there really wasn't much to share, pretty sure the font wasn't compressed at all.

But yeah, the game is pretty lame, not special at all. FYI there was also a version for... PC-88 I think.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 03:07:57 pm »
Yep, dead. Like a jerk I disappeared, and then it looks like it fizzled out for Pikachumanson.

He progressed a lot farther than I did, but if I come across any notes I had I'd be sure to share them. But there really wasn't much to share, pretty sure the font wasn't compressed at all.

But yeah, the game is pretty lame, not special at all. FYI there was also a version for... PC-88 I think.

I've seen that PC-88 version some time ago. It's kinda different, but not really that much better (although it came out a bit later than the Famicom version). Ah well, still plenty of good potential projects left. :D