News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS (Earth Liberation ZAS)... in color!  (Read 5681 times)

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS (Earth Liberation ZAS)... in color!
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:45:39 am »

For those who haven't heard of the game, ZAS (Youtube) is probably the best shmup released on Gameboy. Since I've been working on colorization hacks lately (see Super Mario Land Color and Metriod II Color), I decided I might as well try my hand at something a little more in depth.

Features coded so far:
* GBC only "double speed mode" is enabled, and a fix applied to make the music run at the right speed. This will prevent any slowdown from the added coloring code.
* Game loads palettes dynamically based on the colors it would have used in the original game. This fixes problems I was initially having with fade effects in the game and the ending cutscene having the wrong order of colors.
* Sprites have their own unique palette. Original game used the second palette for lighter colored sprites, and that is working.
* Fixed a bunch of bugs that changing graphic stuff messed up.
* Modified the credits to include myself.

As of now, I've played through the game and can say it is totally bug free. Right now it kind of just looks like a Gameboy game with a special palette, but I hope to eventually make each level and each sprite have their own colors, which should add a lot. Currently all the hard parts involved in making the game in color are done. I just need to extend a few functions to get sprites and bgs of different palettes, and then decide how everything should be colored.

If anyone has advice on palette design I'd really appreciate it, because that's something I'm having trouble with. The palette you see took me over an hour to get right. :D
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Re: Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS (Earth Liberation ZAS)... in color!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:50 am »
Yeah, the level of colorization reminds me of Metroid II on Super Game Boy, but it's still too "brown" for a real GBC game.
Still, the hack seems pretty neat already, keep up the good work ;)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:15:17 am »
Are you restricted to two palettes? One for background and one for sprites?

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:41:41 am »
No, I can use up to 8 palettes each for sprites and background, and they could potentially even be swapped out. Right now there's only one palette for each in use, mostly because I don't know how everything should be colored. :D
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

engageridleymfkr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:08:18 am »
Massive bump, I know, but did anything ever come of this hack? I'm curious to see it in action, particularly with the GBC speed boost.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:03 am »
Wasn't ZAS one of those games that purposely used the ghosting effect on the original Game Boy LCD for some graphical effects?
I'd like to check it out on a real system but sadly it's one of those insanely overpriced games. :(

I wonder how that would've carried over in the patch.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

engageridleymfkr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:01:53 am »
Wasn't ZAS one of those games that purposely used the ghosting effect on the original Game Boy LCD for some graphical effects?
I'd like to check it out on a real system but sadly it's one of those insanely overpriced games. :(

I wonder how that would've carried over in the patch.

Yup! The game simulates multiple background layers by displaying individual layers on alternating frames, which would then bleed into each other on the OG screen and appear to be displaying simultaneously. If you play the game on a modern screen and/or an emulator that's not properly configured for ghosting it'll flicker like crazy.

owlnonymous

• BEWARE, OWL LIVES!
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:22:22 pm »
Very interested in this