News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pathologic? Thoughts on it?  (Read 12175 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Pathologic? Thoughts on it?
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:12:32 pm »
I just found an article on HG101 on Pathologic, a PC Russian game. It sounds interesting in its use of the medium. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the subject matter well (heh), but I've taken an interest to it. Has anyone heard of this game? Any thoughts you'd like to chime in about the article and the game?

Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Pathologic? Thoughts on it?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:47 pm »
The only people around here I know of who've spoke about Ice-Pick Lodge games are myself and Mister Jones, so I doubt anybody else will have much to say.  I haven't personally played this game, but I have it on my shelf along with another interesting game by the same team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_%28video_game%29

Talbain needs to play The Void IMO.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »
Each Heart also corresponds to a glyph; more complex game actions are done by drawing Nerva-infused glyphs on screen using the mouse. When drawing a glyph, time slows down to allow the player to carefully draw it.

Sounds like this would have been great for the DS.

I'll try and remember this game when I get home (and get my computer back to normalcy). The subject matter in The Void seems lighter than the one in Pathologic.
Who will quote me next?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:32:44 pm »
The Void has been on sale on Steam a bunch of times so far, I think, and might have been in a bundle or two.

Pathologic, alas, is only on GamersGate and GameFly so far.  If I can get it for $2.50 sometime I'll definitely go for it; that article does a darn good job of selling it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »
It is acutally lso available via Desura.

Pathologic is no easy game. It's not hard balls Dark Souls sort of thing, more like you are forced all the time to make meaningful choices, I think the article explains it better than I could.

I got interested in the game due to Rock Paper Shotgun making a series of articles in regards to the game. I would try to elaborate on that, but it is a fruitless endeavour. Both RPGS and HG101 certainly hit the nail on the head talking about it.

I haven't been able to finish it to be honest, been a while since I did. I managed to die by the second day on my first Haruspicus run, i forgot why. Game is not fun in a traditional sense, you won't feel any sense of joy, but it remains incredibly compelling in spite of everything. It definitely is worth at least trying it out - game's old enough it will run in plenty of setups and cheap enough as well.

The only recommendation I can do to you in a technical sense I tweak the FoV, because indoors is horrid. That's my only complain.
_-|-_

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
I would get it from Desura, but it smells of DRM, like Steam. One service is already enough for me... If GoG had it, I'd grab it in a heartbeat...

It definitely does not look "fun" but it does seem interesting. Like, the aim of it wasn't to be fun but to drive a point. At least, that's what the HG101 article made it seem.
Who will quote me next?

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »
Desura is steam sans drm. Download and update service, but you don't need it to actually play the game.
_-|-_

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:29:42 pm »
Desura is steam sans drm. Download and update service, but you don't need it to actually play the game.
Yep.  Desura is a great service, and it has a lot more of an indie focus than Steam does.  Not that indie focus inherently makes it better or worse, but it does make it different.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37:43 pm »
So, if I decide to never use Desura again, I can always play Pathologic? No logins or anything? Standalone install executable?
Who will quote me next?

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »
IIRC, you only need to install it, as I don't think there is a stand alone installer. But you could always copy the game folder for backup purposes. But yes, once installed, its all yours.

EDIT: I just noticed that my halloween indie royale copy has a Download EXE installer version. If you decide to buy it via desura and it doesnt include a stand alone installer, I could always download mine and give it to you.
_-|-_

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »
Hrmrmrmmmm... I guess I may take the plunge later tonight when I'm home. Thanks for the info!
Who will quote me next?

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »
Also, I just began downloading the installer out of curiosity. I will let you know if there is any sort of frills involved. I would gladly give it to you even if you don't uy it, but I am not certain where you stand on such ground. PM me if you want.
_-|-_

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 05:49:07 pm »
For a small developer like Ice-Pick Lodge? I feel bad not giving them money... Thanks for the offer though. I might still take you up on it if I'm not happy with the installer.
Who will quote me next?

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
Just saw this (I purchsed it on desura (and also gamersgate:P)):

I'm still waiting for the installer to finish downloading. Will let you know what happens.
_-|-_

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 05:54:12 pm »
Ugh, the "mind-blowing" ending is interesting but hardly what people have made it out to be. I was expecting something a little more original and creative from all the praise this game has gotten.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 06:22:49 pm »
Just ran the installer. No checks at all.
_-|-_

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 08:43:35 pm »
Ah, alright! It wasn't too intuitive, but I found the standalone download. Muchas gracias, SeƱor MisterJones!
Who will quote me next?

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:26:02 am »
127$? Wut.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:04 am »
Somehow missed this at the time of OP.

I loved the Void and it was one of the things that saw me look back at Russian games though for reasons unknown I never checked out any of the other offerings from Ice-Pick Lodge. Looks like it was yet another oversight on my part.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:00 am »
Golly gosh, I never would have thought to look for it on Desura.  Desura has always struck me as the place for somewhat primitive 2D games on a minimal budget and not for big fancy Russian games.  And since I bought the Halloween Indie Royale, I already have it!  (I think I might have been getting it confused with Pathological at the time.)

By the way, GamersGate has no DRM either.  (To be precise: you initially download an installer stub that will download a game's installation files; if you choose not to install right away, the stub will just rename the game's setup.exe, but you can just change the name back and continue without ever having to deal with the GamersGate server again.  At least, that's been my experience so far.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!