News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Edge reports 720 will be anti-used games like the PS4 supposedly is.  (Read 25983 times)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform.

Yes this is all rumor and speculation, but it's so stupid and evil it could very well be true.  And I tell you guys what, if this is true, and the shit about the PS4 is true, I absolutely will not ever buy either one of these consoles.  Obviously Microsoft and Sony have no idea how important trade-ins are for people who buy new games.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Edge reports 720 will be anti-used games like the PS4 supposedly is.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
Why don't they give up the farce and just go download only... I still wouldn't like it, but it's less blatant. :/
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:02 am »
(sorry, quote won't copy properly)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-next-xbox-always-online-no-second-hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Yes this is all rumor and speculation, but it's so stupid and evil it could very well be true.  And I tell you guys what, if this is true, and the shit about the PS4 is true, I absolutely will not ever buy either one of these consoles.  Obviously Microsoft and Sony have no idea how important trade-ins are for people who buy new games.
I think I have to agree here. I don't think I'd buy one either if I have to absolutely buy new games at $60 a pop, or wait a year for them to drop to $40 or less.

I'll just play my giant backlog of games for all of the other consoles I already own.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Niahak

• View Profile
    • Nia's page
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
This is pretty concerning news, especially if both Sony and MS do this.

If it's along the lines of Steam - where there are sales, price reductions, etc fairly often, it will be more palatable than if games keep their $60 price point for several months on end the way console games are now.  Still sucks, of course.  I'm hoping Steam lets you "repackage" a game and trade it away eventually, but I don't expect the XBox720 and PS4 to ever do that if they're going to a fully license-based model.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:22 am »
What about giving away games you've already beat to friends or relatives?  That doesn't seem possible under this model.

What about GameFly?  How can it rent games that can't be replayed?

What if your console dies?  How do you re-allocate games that were previously tied to it, to a replacement console?

So many questions, not many answers.

I think Sony and Microsoft are going to go for this though, because of GREED.  But I believe the backlash will make them repent, and used games will remain an aftermarket come next generation.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:53 am »
Why don't they give up the farce and just go download only... I still wouldn't like it, but it's less blatant. :/

They would save on bandwidth costs surely.

What about giving away games you've already beat to friends or relatives?  That doesn't seem possible under this model.

What about GameFly?  How can it rent games that can't be replayed?

What if your console dies?  How do you re-allocate games that were previously tied to it, to a replacement console?

My sane guess about the last two would be that the games are hopefully tied to an XBL or GFWL account, along with your console, so if one dies, all you have to do is register your new console with your account and your games become available. And as for the second, I wouldn't be surprised if they handle a rental license model thingy, where you input a license for a game that last for 3 days or so.

It doesn't makes this any less of a load of bullshit, I agree. I kinda dig the steam model (it offers me much more than a store and a drm model), but I can see it only working on PC because the way pc gaming works, I wouldn't want to bring that idea to consoles.
_-|-_

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:53:44 am »
Fun fact: German customer protection organizations just sued Steam over games there not being re-tradable. That is against EU law. So those practices in home consoles should also be against the law. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Unfortunately it won't benefit you guys, since by US law anything goes as long as it's scribbled into the TOS. "If you accept you acknowledge the great Reptarrr as your lord and saviour!" :crazy:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:28 pm »
Fun fact: German customer protection organizations just sued Steam over games there not being re-tradable. That is against EU law. So those practices in home consoles should also be against the law. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Except for when I passed by the language aisle and saw the hot German lady advertising a "speak German" software, I've never wanted to be German more than I did when I read that.

:S

Maybe the games will suck so hard that no one will want them anyway?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:10:52 pm »
I have heard this rumor before, and I wonder if game producers would be force to implement this or if they would have a choice. If only first party games have this and their sales fall flat then maybe they would change there minds, just wishful thinking I guess.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »
Screw that.  If Sony or Microsoft does that, then I'm not buying their system.  Pretty simple.

(As I say that, I might buy one at a bargain-basement price, especially if it's hackable.  But the idea of never owning anything physically really irks me.  A lot.  And we've had this discussion before.  In their race to generate more profit, they're actually slitting their own throats.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »
There are a pot of conclusions being jumped to here. Microsoft is the company that lets you save your Xbox gamertag to a USB drive, plug it into any 360, verify password, and download and play any of your digital games.

Same with steam. If that isn't user friendly vs. Lockdown, I dont know what is.

If this is true though, maybe game developers will have to step up their game, make their content higher quality with more replay value.

If you want to loan a friend a game, just give them your gamertag password, while they are playing, you won't be able to login, but its an easy way to game the system.

I for one only buy new games anyways, so, whatever. I believe strongly in ownerships, but I care nothing for gamestop, disposable games, or beat up/missing packaging.

Good rule of thumb, if you have a bunch of unbeat games, and you dont want to pay full price for a game, you probably shouldn't buy it.

Again, if you dont want to pay full price for a game, if it isnt THAT good, it's probably not worth buying at all

Sony and Microsoft won't do anything that will scare away money, but if it meant a lot of no gamers being scared off, and fewer true gamers carried the price weight, so be it, it'd be for the better to have a majority audience that gives a damn about quality.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 01:57:09 pm »
I'm not worried at all, I really don't see any company doing this, and if they do, then it'll fail quickly, and we'll be right back to where we are now. I honestly can't see the majority of people standing for this, and if companies start losing money, then they'll change their tune.

Also Kaio pretty much made my day!
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »
I for one only buy new games anyways, so, whatever. I believe strongly in ownerships, but I care nothing for gamestop, disposable games, or beat up/missing packaging.
I believe strongly in ownership, too.  Which would mean that I have the right to sell what I own.  I don't, typically, but a lot of other people do.  As it is, a system like this is more like having a license to play a game.  Nothing more.  It's a glorified rental.  This is one of those cases where the EU actually has it right.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:01 pm »
if it meant a lot of no gamers being scared off, and fewer true gamers carried the price weight

NEWSFLASH @ 11: ELITIST FORUM POSTER DECLARES IF YOU'RE FRUGAL YOU'RE NOT A REAL GAMER

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:51 am »
ok, maybe I didn't quite phrase that right. Look, I'm by no means rich, but you, me, and many other on this board all have TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY. I'm not saying that games shouldn't be sellable, or that you shouldn't be able to get a deal, I LOVE steam deals, if any game store put new games on sales I'd be all over that, but they never do.

I love retro game shops like game crazy, but I LOATHE the used game market in Gamestop and Best Buy, they're everything that is wrong with games in retail, they rob you going both ways and I refuse to be a part of that, they have no love or respect for games, if they did, they'd print high quality replacement labels and get new cases for the really torn up used games.

I also hate game companies using piracy as an excuse for lackluster performance. My thought is, the truly good games are the ones that you WOULD pay $60 for if you had to, I know I have games like that.

I'm not saying I agree with what the topic is about. As far as I'm concerned it's completely hearsay and very unlikely to actually happen. I mean technically it already has happened with steam games and XBLA games, but I like Steam and XBLA games, so meh.

As it is, a system like this is more like having a license to play a game.  Nothing more.  It's a glorified rental. 

I don't sell games, so if I can play it anytime, anywhere, as much as I want, I own it, which is true for a lot of my steam games. If you really want to get technical about "it's just a license" all games are just licensed to you, technically speaking. of course there always has been and always will be plenty of ways to circumvent that, so it's a moot point IMO.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 01:25:00 am »

Unfortunately it won't benefit you guys, since by US law anything goes as long as it's scribbled into the TOS. "If you accept you acknowledge the great Reptarrr as your lord and saviour!" :crazy:

Well that's made me at ease. Time to lawyer up! :thumbsup:

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 01:53:15 am »
I swear to god that the next video game crash is right around the corner.

I can just feel it.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:46 am »
I don't have any plans to buy a PS4 or 720 anytime soon.  So, meh.  Yeah, I probably won't buy them if this is true, but again, Dark Souls II is coming to PC, so I really see no reason to buy these new consoles.  The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are also coming to PC.  While people may hate Steam, the biggest advantage of it is the fact that prices drop off drastically and you can get good deals.

Steam's also a preservation platform (which already puts it above the insanity that is all other online store platforms, other than GOG.com).  It keeps its back catalog, rather than deleting it, and they have a progressive stance towards videogame publishing.

It kills me that people are still buying things that intentionally and rigorously limit their choices.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:31 am »
but you, me, and many other on this board all have TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY

Totally true, but I still buy more every week.  I already know it's some sort of psychological over compensation for when I was a kid and had unfulfilled game lust every month thanks to EGM.  (Man EGM in the early/mid-90s was glorious, how I miss you Sushi-X.)  That said, it's cheaper than buying beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets every week which is the standard for where I live!

I LOATHE the used game market in Gamestop and Best Buy

I've never bought a used game from Best Buy, but I think by now my feelings for GameStop are known around here.  I was greatly pleased when I found out that Edge article caused their stock to drop 6% in one day.

My thought is, the truly good games are the ones that you WOULD pay $60 for if you had to, I know I have games like that.

Sure, I'd say some games are worth $60.  But how do you know until you play one?  Just because you read the game is great in reviews, and bros on the internet say the game is awesome, your own personal experience might turn up $40 short on the actual play.  Not only that, but there are plenty of games that I've enjoyed quite a bit, that were not 9/10 kinda games, more like 7/10 kinda games, so they're not worth $60... more like $15.  Which is what I likely bought them for.  Honestly I'm only okay with paying $60 for RPGs where I know I will put in 30+ hours to make that investment worth it.  All other genres are worth $20-40 IMO.

I don't sell games, so if I can play it anytime, anywhere, as much as I want, I own it

Well that's OK for a guy like you.  But for a guy like me who has younger relatives whom I often do hand-me-downs of games I've already beat, it's not so OK with me.  Also once in a while I will filter my collection and put together lot bundles of games I don't plan to ever play again and sell them on eBay as one large auction.  I use the money from that to buy a new game or two.  With this new model I cannot do that, and that sucks the butt.

I swear to god that the next video game crash is right around the corner.

Steam's also a preservation platform

As long as that ol' internet is up and access is open.