News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Mario World (NES) gfx hack  (Read 41886 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Super Mario World (NES) gfx hack
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
Very nice. I'm not up on the NES hardware, but is there any way to make the colors a bit brighter? The whole game generally appears to be washed out or muted as opposed to the SNES original. I would image though that the small fixed color palette of the NES makes that an impossibility?
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:49 pm »
The NES is limited to four four-color background palettes, out of which one color each must be transparent/a "background" color, and four four-color sprite palettes which have the same limitations, so no, I think this is as good as it's gonna get. One of the perils of porting an SNES game to a console it wasn't designed to be on.

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
In a perfect world I would have knowledge to replace these songs with the brilliant NSF created by Acmlm: http://acmlm.cjb.net:2/emu/asm/nsf/SMW.nsf

How about posting a Help Wanted ad? I've seen a few hacks with custom soundtracks. There might be a few people out there with sufficient knowledge about replacing the soundbanks and such.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 06:32:20 pm »
You can't just replace music data, you also have to do much more stuff, like inserting new music engine(I'm pretty sure the original one is limited with some effects) and changing a lot of functions that use sound engine(like calling starting new song, sound effects, stopping them etc). Also, new songs will be different size. I GUESS songs from nfs are bigger, so you also need to expand the game and write code to switch PRG banks when needed. A lot of work...

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 05:16:39 pm »
Just gotta say, I'm rooting for ya and this project :p I really like hacks like this!

Very nice. I'm not up on the NES hardware, but is there any way to make the colors a bit brighter? The whole game generally appears to be washed out or muted as opposed to the SNES original. I would image though that the small fixed color palette of the NES makes that an impossibility?
However, there is the option for a custom palette, but purists wouldn't quite like the idea of making up color schemes that aren't accurate to  hardware.

That being said, I don't think anyone's ever decided on what an "accurate" palette for the NES really is. From what I remember, it usually amounted to depending on what your TV settings were, moreso than actual palette color data.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 11:52:42 pm »
Unsure about PAL, but on NTSC at least colors on the NES can noticeably vary between TVs.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 12:42:20 pm »
workin on a new hack myself. I'd never thought about making the transparent color of the background the same color as the outlines. I'm trying it out now. It's working really well.

macbee

• View Profile
    • MCBRemakes
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:06 pm »
Thanks for all comments friends! :D

workin on a new hack myself. I'd never thought about making the transparent color of the background the same color as the outlines. I'm trying it out now. It's working really well.

Nice!
I won't use black as my background color every time. I'll analyze every stage - and the most common background color on this stage will be 'the chosen one'.  :)
On Yoshi's House for instance the first slot was occupied by color $37:

By the way you can watch a video of this WIP Yoshi's House on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXkhL5ppjuQ&feature=share&list=PLpFwbh8GRArp41VyYb_hlh0lKyMooWApZ

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 01:53:38 pm »
Looks solid. How much of SMW is actually represented in that pirate?

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »
Impressive.

There are NES mappers that allow the screen to scroll up/down as well as left/right. Does the image you're basing this on have that capability? Flying could be problematic otherwise.

Also, how does the control scheme work out? There are four buttons on the SNES, but only three different functions (Jump, Spin Jump/Dismount, and Accelerate/Fireball/Cape Spin.). Still, that leaves you with an odd man out.
Yamero~~!

macbee

• View Profile
    • MCBRemakes
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »
Looks solid. How much of SMW is actually represented in that pirate?

Thanks!
SMW for the NES is a very incomplete / inaccurate conversion.
However this is good to me: I would never change this game if it was big and complex like the original SMW. But since it has just a few stages it's a fun project.  :thumbsup:

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:30 am »
There are NES mappers that allow the screen to scroll up/down as well as left/right. Does the image you're basing this on have that capability? Flying could be problematic otherwise.
What the...?
Any NES mapper can do that.
Also, how does the control scheme work out? There are four buttons on the SNES, but only three different functions (Jump, Spin Jump/Dismount, and Accelerate/Fireball/Cape Spin.).
Hold B to run, press UP+A to Spin Jump/Dismount.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 01:21:36 am »
Also, new songs will be different size. I GUESS songs from nfs are bigger, so you also need to expand the game and write code to switch PRG banks when needed. A lot of work...

It's been done.

SORASUNYU

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 10:13:59 am »
Wonderful!It's so beautiful!

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:17 am »
This is a REALLY nice looking conversion. While I've been working on my own project, I found that the NES is capable of making graphics that are nearly SNES quality if the right methods are applied (I don't know how to better explain that without a lengthy discussion). I must agree that the music in the first video was pretty bad and I hope that you will be able to alter that. It can be done, and if I'm able to insert a custom soundtrack into my project like I want, I will be happy to help with other projects, or at least to give advice.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:40 am »
Thanks!
SMW for the NES is a very incomplete / inaccurate conversion.
However this is good to me: I would never change this game if it was big and complex like the original SMW. But since it has just a few stages it's a fun project.  :thumbsup:
I recall there's two different versions of the ROM. The "few stages" version was more common, but a more complete version was found on a multicart.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:42 pm »
Rip some sprites from Mario is Missing and Mario's Time Machine for NES. They use the Super Mario World sprites.

Also I wish there was a way to find and track down someone from Hummer Team. I find those 90's Taiwanese software pirates to being the forebears/pioneers of ROM-hacking. Of course if they were found, they probably wouldn't give an interview.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 04:24:52 am »
What mapper does this thing use?

Converting the original SMW tracks to decent-sounding NES versions sounds like a fun challenge!

Dogeritos

• Dogeritos r kewl
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel (Don't Go There... Pretty Bad)
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:20 am »
Hello!
I'd like to introduce my new project: a graphics hack of Super Mario World (NES). All I have to show right now is a video comparing old and new title screens.
Video link: http://youtu.be/Su1Z-Shzrlc

More updates soon! Hope you like it!  :)

This game is amazing! I'm glad someone's finally hacking it. Mario looks a lot more like he did in the SNES version. Keep it up!
So nacho
Much cheese
Wow
Dogeritos

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 12:04:21 am »
Agreed with above. I'd really like to see some updated info on this project. I hadn't ever thought about doing a SMW NES, but this certainly has potential, especially with the conversions I've seen for SMB1 and some of the SMB3 projects that have been done. Keep up the good work.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/