News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Would this be a worthwhile project?  (Read 1275 times)

Husky

• View Profile
Would this be a worthwhile project?
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:46:51 pm »
I've been in contact with a guy that made his own Street Fighter 2 hack (Drakon, he has an account here), and he gave me a list of addresses for speed, code hooks, sounds, palettes, etc. I can post the list if you guys want to see what's in it.

What I was wondering is, would people would be interested in seeing a tool (probably in Java for linux compatibility) to make some basic hackery, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbxoR14cfc

And as soon as basic functionality was complete I was planning on adding a sprite editor to it, but then I'd need some help from anyone with experience hacking CPS1/2 graphics.

The reason I'm asking is that the two guys I know with experience in hacking ROMs are trying to dissuade me from this project, claiming that such an editor only encourages noobs to stay noobs and never learn about real hacking.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Would this be a worthwhile project?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:21 pm »
I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes an editor is a shortcut for noobs and you don't really learn anything but at the same time such an editor saves valuable time for someone who actually knows what they are doing.