News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon - Ultra Violet Version  (Read 94072 times)

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
Pokemon - Ultra Violet Version
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
After releasing Pokemon Red and Gold (Emu Edition)s I received alot of very helpful feedback. And after playing much of the way through red, and coaching my wife most of the way through gold AND everyone feedback... I have decided to make a Fire Red hack.

I intend to impliment ALL of the first 2 generations pokemon in it aswell as do alot of script editing to give it a more complete feel than my first releases. I have thought of MANY great ideas aswell as had several that were given in response to the lacking of my first releases...

I have been working for about a week on my new version and have done ALOT. It is quite near completion.

Some things I have done:
All pokemon from Fire Red and Leaf Green, that are catchable, will be residing in the area that they were obtainable in the regular version of the game.
Kabuto/Omanyte: After defeating the Super Nerd in Mt Moon he allows you to take both fossils. (http://youtu.be/JhsytWE0NOU)
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan: After defeating the Karate Master in Saffron he allows you to take both pokemon.
All pokemon that require trading to evolve now evolve in some other manner. Either level or stone. To include Eevee into Umbreon and Espeon.
Celedon Game corner has been edited.
You can purchase the Mystic and Aurora Tickets from the PokeMart on Island Seven, allowing you to get to the last 2 islands.
MoonStones and SunStones can be purchased in Celedon to account for the edited trade evolutions and increased pokemon count.
Any #1-150 pokemon that were not obtainable in FireRed or LeafGreen have been added to kanto.
ALL gen 2 pokemon that were not obtainable in FireRed or LeafGreen are now obtainable in the added Islands
Altering Cave contains; Aipom, Hoothoot, Houndour, Mareep, Miltank, Pineco, Sentret, Snubbull, Shuckle, Smeargle, Stantler, Teddiursa.

you can see many of the changes in this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-WirG2SDs&list=HL1359765537)
NOTE: If you dont want to die of boredom, go ahead and skip from about 6:15 to about 22:45 or just use the jumps in the description. I kinda got lucky on the pokemon battles while traveling to the cave... it shows version exclusive pokemon... that was not my goal but whatever ;)

Things left to do:
Add Mew
Fix Raikou/Entei/Suicune issue.
Trainer Cards: Blue-start, Bronze-Elite4, Silver-151, Gold-251.
Title Screen!!!

My Mew code is not working properly... firstly he keeps reappearing... I think I have that solved, I just need to try it out... but the important issue is when I implement the code, the game alters a portion of it... it alters a jump address... the same jump address is used twice... it only alters it the second time so some garbled number that the game then complains about...

I have not even started on the 3 mystical dogs yet... wont that be fun... In the game, after you beat the elite 4, one dog is released into kanto depending on your starter pokemon... I want to release all 3 into kanto...

the trainer cards is also a simple (hopefully) problem I have just not started to work on yet. it might not happen

now onto my big issue... I apearently SUCK at graphics editing...
I took the title screeen Charizard, made a Mew ;) and put him in charizards place... well it worked... except mew is this disgustingly bright pink and his palette is all jacked up...
then I took the Fireballs in the background... and made nice bubbles that should float about... but it tells me the origional image is bigger than the new... and its not...
if I force mews palette or the fireballs to become bubbles... it turns the screen white and freezes

and lastly I have not even got a chance to mess with the "FireRed Version" yet, I cant even find the right palette to save it under so I can start editing it... its a 256 color image instead of a 16 color...

so far the only graphical success ive had is getting a mew to show up on the screen... he wasnt even garbled ;) but i still cant get his colors right...

there is very little left to do... but im afraid i wont be able to do it without help... mostly for the graphics editing part...

If anyone has any great ideas just let me know... ;) either tips on what Im working on or just things I should add...
Also if you know any weird evolution that would be impossible id also like that info... ive got all the trade evolutions (including the trade w/ items) and Eevees day/night evolution... I feel like ive forgotten something tho
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:09:10 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon - Ultra Violet Version
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:02 pm »
This project sounds quite interesting. One question, will you include a clock patch? If memory serves, roms that use clocks (such as the GBA Pokemon games) have issues revolving around that, being that the game uses an internal battery; this causes problems with certain emulators and real hardware.

now onto my big issue... I apearently SUCK at graphics editing...
I took the title screeen Charizard, made a Mew ;) and put him in charizards place... well it worked... except mew is this disgustingly bright pink and his palette is all jacked up...
then I took the Fireballs in the background... and made nice bubbles that should float about... but it tells me the origional image is bigger than the new... and its not...
I've had this issue before when graphically editing Mother 2. Apparently when inserting new graphics into a GBA rom, the new data is slightly bigger than the old when inserted. I believe it's one byte, but even one tiny byte change could screw a ton of things. I believe one solution would be to find the byte right after where you're inserting the data, copy it down, insert the new data, and replace the byte where it was. I'm not 100% sure this will work, though, but it's work a shot.

The way I got around this in Mother 2 was when I moved graphical data, I separated them by one byte, so just in case I needed to edit them, I could do so very easily.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
This project sounds quite interesting. One question, will you include a clock patch? If memory serves, roms that use clocks (such as the GBA Pokemon games) have issues revolving around that, being that the game uses an internal battery; this causes problems with certain emulators and real hardware.
I've had this issue before when graphically editing Mother 2. Apparently when inserting new graphics into a GBA rom, the new data is slightly bigger than the old when inserted. I believe it's one byte, but even one tiny byte change could screw a ton of things. I believe one solution would be to find the byte right after where you're inserting the data, copy it down, insert the new data, and replace the byte where it was. I'm not 100% sure this will work, though, but it's work a shot.

The way I got around this in Mother 2 was when I moved graphical data, I separated them by one byte, so just in case I needed to edit them, I could do so very easily.

yeah my wife had issues with her clock in my gold hack lol... she gets phone calls every 5 minutes, every second is like several minutes...

but fire red has no clock... so I have no need to implement one

I read your posts on Mother 2... I did not put it together until you mentioned that... perhaps they do have the same problem... but its telling me the Old data is bigger...

i wonder if tagging on an extra byte would work? 

UPDATE:
I been messing with my mew code... I got it to stop changing it on me (my fault actually, i was sending it to an address I had not defined) but now instead of fighting mew lol it resets the game when i walk into the map... cant even take 1 step onto the map...
and its not in the map header either... cause if I remove the event it fixes the problem.

making events from scratch is hard...
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »
fire red has no clock... so I have no need to implement one
Oh, that's good. I know the Hoenn games (R/S/E) all had clocks (at least, I'm 99% sure), but I had forgotten that FR/LG didn't.

making events from scratch is hard...
Yep, I completely understand. If I wasn't busy with Mother 2, I'd would probably help you out, but I haven't hacked a Pokemon game before, so I probably wouldn't know where to start. :-\
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 06:13:45 am »
Here is a fun little update with a world of possibilities...

Ever wonder what its like inside a pokeball?
or how exactly Bill got turned into a pokemon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a17AtI4MYPg

~Current Project:

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:25 pm »
when somebody going to mix various regions in a same game?

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »
when somebody going to mix various regions in a same game?
im afraid I dont understand what your asking lol... dont most games have 2 regions in them...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have spent nearly 2 days doing nothing but working on the title screen...

after doing alot of research I learned about TileMaps, so i can actually change the way tiles layout instead of being forced to augment my art to the way the tiles origionally layed out... after learning that, it was simply a matter of altering the palettes till they were correct...

wanna see what ive got so far ;)

Spoiler:
I did not want to change the background too much, the idea is to keep the same theme as FR and LG, so the background colors stayed the same, the moving element changed, the top and bottom palette changed adn ofcourse the pokemon did. I was also able to alter the bottom text (GameFreak was credited at the start of the opening scene... they dont need to be here aswell) without messing up the fact that "PRESS START" blinks... that was fun fun
Spoiler:
The 1st slot in the palette is the transparent color, the 2nd-6th slots are colors that blink and im fairly sure the rest of the colors dont blink (the 7th slot may be special aswell, not sure yet) of course blinking has to be set up in the tile map...

I still need to change the FIRERED logo... but I have some issues... firstly... ULTRAVIOLET is really long...
plus Fire is something that is red... Leaf is something that is green... ULTRA... really has nothing to do with violet... and if we take pokemon type into consideration... Fire-firetype Leaf-grass type... whats violet... psychic... ok what item has to do with psychic... i dont thingk BRAINVIOLET will go over well either lol.

any suggestions for a final name for this hack? it needs to be 3-4 characters to fit in with VIOLET and it needs to be... violet and have something to do with psychic powers...
I could just go with PSIVIOLET... with works with Firered aswell as the Waterblue idea... but Leafgreen is then out of the norm... shouldnt it be GrassGreen (again too long)

enjoy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:17:16 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »
Honestly, I like Ultra Violet. Sure, it doesn't quite fit with the Pokemon naming system of FireRed and LeafGreen, but it sounds cool.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »
Will I cant argue that its a cool name ;)

but the length issue is still... bad

FireRed is barely bigger than VERSION... and LeafGreen is closer to PsiViolet
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:45:17 pm »
How about compressing Ultra and Violet vertically and putting them on top of each other? That might save a bit of space.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »
OK, I have 3 choices... they all fit in the space alowed ;)

Im partial to the top or bottom ones...

the more I look at it, the bottom one seems best... the word VIOLET should be the biggest, not VERSION

February 03, 2013, 08:23:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d56ne7IjnW0
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:23:21 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:42:08 pm »
Bottom one is definitely the best. Title looks awesome, keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »
you know the deciding factor....

player names ;)

I bet most renamed pokehacks forget that the players names are dependant on which game they are playing...

and I dare say that not many men will like VIOLET as a name... EVERY man will enjoy ULTRA as a name lol.
and women wont complain about VIOLET.
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
I agree, although in Pokemon games I generally prefer to name the character myself, instead of naming it the "official" name (Red for FireRed, for example). Even so, I don't play the Pokemon games much anymore; heck, I didn't think I even get a badge in White before I stopped playing it.

I used to be so into the games, though. I have at least one game of every generation except 1 and 2, unless you count FR/LG and SS. I had a copy of Gold for years, but the battery eventually died on it and I sold it to a used game store.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »
Agreed, I name them myself... but its the attention to detail that im after... I dont want anyone to know it was a red hack... except of course they will have the readme where it clearly says its a red hack... multiple times... and if they dowenloaded it and patched it they probably know a bit about hacks... but if it somehow wound up on its own cart i wouldnt want anyone to know ;)

I played the first and second gens... when the 3rd came out i got pissed and stopped (i couldnt trade my charizard over :( ) I have played a few past that on my cellphone emulator... but never got far, I did play black and black 2.. they are good... thats y my focus has been on gens 1 and 2...

heck I have edited a bit in the Sevii islandsbut have no idea how to even get ther to check em out... never played firered lol.
ive got a gamesave thats completed so I can fly about from town to town and test stuff... and when its early (like the mt moon vid) i just started a new game and rushed to mt moon (which is y that charmelion was lv 22 lol, he was the only pokemon i used) but since I have never played the game... i dont know where to go to get to the islands...

if i had to guess id go to one of the port towns and try to catch... a boat... but i have not bothered to try yet. i have not altered much ther

I do need to see if i can buy those tickets and use them tho
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:15 pm »
heck I have edited a bit in the Sevii islandsbut have no idea how to even get ther to check em out... never played firered lol.
To get to the Sevii Islands, you have to beat Blaine, and then Bill comes and asks you to come to the islands. Then after you finish your business there, you can go there anytime via the boat in Vermillion City, if memory serves me. That or use Fly.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »
the sav im using to test says its completed everything... ill assume thats beating blaine lol...

i coulnt fly there, i tried... i guess im heading to the boat... sometime...

when im done with the hack im going to play thru it and keep every SAV instead of overwriting em... then ill offer it on the web for hackers... its something very important for testing...
I have not been able to test the karate masters script yet, other than being able to pick up the 2nd pokeball that was left from whoever played thru the game im using.

February 04, 2013, 01:29:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Mew is officially inserted with his own one time event... Im not a million percent sure its 100% correct... but for now he works fine ;)

i guess ill find out when I play thru the entire game... if he messes with other events.

now to find the mystical dog code and get all 3 of them released into the game.

February 05, 2013, 01:21:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
ok...
basically everything in the game is finished except the mystical dogs... you can still catch one... just not all 3...

what I need from the community is any gen 1 or gen 2 pokemon that would be impossible to get normally in fire red... I have already handled lugia, hooh and dioxis... ive got the mystical ticket and aurora ticket and made them work (just having them is not enough, gamesharkers hack them into their packs all the time without them workind ;) )
ive got mew and celebi... taken care of aswell...
all trade evolvers,
umbrion and espion are handled...
who evolves in such an odd way that it would be impossible to get them or who is just not getable for whatever reason... keep in mind, I have never actually played through fire red and have no idea how the game sequence goes on the sevii islands, so if there is some event pokemon out ther I am missing please let me know. (took me a second to realize the boat guy actually has to check for tickets... which he wont do unless you got them in a nintendo event... I just removed the check for the event, he now only checks for the ticket...)
thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:21:56 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:35 pm »
I have one question. How did you set up the Espeon/Umbreon evolutions? FireRed and LeafGreen don't have a day/night cycle. I'm assuming you use some kind of stone?

For the Pokemon, you could probably just look up a list of Pokemon in each version. Bulbapedia would probably be a good place to look.

Speaking of which, you said you have Deoxys programmed in. Does that include both forms? FireRed has Attack form and LeafGreen has Defense form.

Also, if you need a tester, let me know. I'd be willing to test; I have a GBA flash cart I have some games on (mostly patched games like Mother 3, Mother 1+2, the Final Fantasy Advances, etc.).
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »
yeah i gave umbreon the moon stone and espeon the sun stone...  then had to make them for sale... as i think there are no sun stones in fire red...

i shall check the google for odd evolutions then ;)

no deoxys is deoxys... if you trade the attack form over to leaf green it becomes the defense form... i see no way to have both forms in one game without ALOT of work... adding a new poke with deoxys stats... wait... that dont seem hard...

the sprite is in the game... i should be able to put it in there... after you fight deoxys and beat the elite four itll come back as the other form...

no promesis... it may not work lol

cool ive never put a hack on a gba flash cart before... (ive used ds ones tho) your welcome to play it... ;) do you want the current version or wait till im dont... im so near done... just those darn dogs... still cant find the code that releases em.
~Current Project:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »
If it's a bunch of unnecessary work, don't worry about it. I'm not a big enough Pokenerd to catch all the Pokemon in the game anyways; I've tried but never succeeded. :P

It doesn't matter about testing, I'll just wait until you get everything done, unless you want me to test what you have now. It's your call, really.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR