News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 406787 times)

indecks

• View Profile
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #1180 on: March 12, 2019, 01:22:14 am »
Salutations everyone.

My name is indecks (index :P)

Im 41, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm getting myself into, but I want to attempt to translate a game several people have started, and eventually abandoned for one reason or another.  I have no programming skill, and the closest I've ever come to translating a game was applying an IPS patch for a translation of Star Ocean on the SNES.  I dont even know if that type of tool exists anymore.

The game I am after is Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, most commonly known as Samurai Shodown RPG for the NeoGeoCD.  It seems there have been several projects to get this translated to English, most notably a guy named MoriaMug or "Deuce." The last Ive seen is a guy named Apocalypse trying it, and he apparently got about 30% of the way through (I think) and abandoned it.

There is apparently a French translation, and someone was trying to translate from French to Spanish at one point, but even *they* gave up.  From what I gather, the biggest problem with the NeoGeoCD Japanese version of the game is due to spacing and timing, but seeing as there is indeed a successful French translation floating around out there, I can only imagine that the spacing/timing issues were solved for Japanese to French. So maybe French to English is going to be quote-unquote 'easier.'

I have no idea what I'm in for, and truth be told, I don't even know if I'll be able to even begin this monumental task. I clearly have a lot of reading to do.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »
Salutations everyone.

My name is indecks (index :P)

Im 41, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm getting myself into, but I want to attempt to translate a game several people have started, and eventually abandoned for one reason or another.  I have no programming skill, and the closest I've ever come to translating a game was applying an IPS patch for a translation of Star Ocean on the SNES.  I dont even know if that type of tool exists anymore.

The game I am after is Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, most commonly known as Samurai Shodown RPG for the NeoGeoCD.  It seems there have been several projects to get this translated to English, most notably a guy named MoriaMug or "Deuce." The last Ive seen is a guy named Apocalypse trying it, and he apparently got about 30% of the way through (I think) and abandoned it.

There is apparently a French translation, and someone was trying to translate from French to Spanish at one point, but even *they* gave up.  From what I gather, the biggest problem with the NeoGeoCD Japanese version of the game is due to spacing and timing, but seeing as there is indeed a successful French translation floating around out there, I can only imagine that the spacing/timing issues were solved for Japanese to French. So maybe French to English is going to be quote-unquote 'easier.'

I have no idea what I'm in for, and truth be told, I don't even know if I'll be able to even begin this monumental task. I clearly have a lot of reading to do.
Welcome and good luck! Are you planning on using one of the partial NGCD translations or even a complete translation from one of the other versions(if those exist) or will you start from scratch?

indecks

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 12, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »
Welcome and good luck! Are you planning on using one of the partial NGCD translations or even a complete translation from one of the other versions(if those exist) or will you start from scratch?

Honestly I have no idea. Ideally, I'd like to see if I can even find an English translated script. But if not, I'd like to see if I can get my hands on a French or Spanish translation, so I can just google translate it at the very least. If so, I also need tools to do the hacking/translation itself. As far as I know there are 3 versions of the game. NeoCD, Saturn, and Playstation.  My aim would be to play the "original" content on NeoCD, but if there is a much easier version to translate, then I'll go for that one in order to just get it done.

Please please understand where I am in this - I dont know *anything* about ROM hacking, translating, tables, hexadecimal, or anything. I am literally an off-the-street beginner with no idea which way the starting line is. For all I know I will probably fail at this like so many others that know so much more than I do.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. I just want to play the game and be able to read the text. I even heard the game isn't all that great, but it's like a Holy Grail for me, and I'm much too far in life to start learning one of the most difficult languages on the planet to play it in it's original form.

Ligudink

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 16, 2019, 09:03:57 pm »
Yo peeps,ligudink here,I'm a visual novel enthusiast,my first game in that genre was Ace Attorney 1 on my iPod,freaking loved it,always  have,and I always will,i'm currently a medical student,1st year,not a pro in hacking or anything,but I do have a few goals I wanna accomplish in ROM hacking,my main one though is making a lebanese-arabic patch of ace attorney 1 on the gba,I will do my best to learn all what I can from here to get started,if the DS version is easier,so be it.

cargo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 21, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
Hello!

Long time fan of the site. I've always been amazed by the huge amount of content created every month. Almost seems like there's no shortage of energy or enthusiasm. No game is too small to be unseen or too niche to be overlooked. My favorite hacks are mostly famicom translations, controls and easy improvements. I only wish I had the time to check them all! Just happy to be here.

Thales_MA

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 22, 2019, 01:48:55 pm »
I'm Thales, and I really like videogames and things related to them.
I started playing games at age 6 and my first game was Need of Speed Underground 2 (PC version). Since then, I only played online games (like on the Click Games site and etc.) until I won my tablet and played games like Angry Birds, Raging Thunder 2 and etc.
I started liking old games when my brother downloaded My Boy! GBA Emulator, then only played in that emulator. After that, I got my computer and downloaded the GBA ROMs. Then I entered the world of emulation and romhacking, and I ended up getting to know the site of PO.B.R.E. (Brazilian Portal of Romhacking and Emulation). Then I started downloading ROMs from other systems. Then I started to want to translate and ended up here.

moneyspider_todd

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:15 am »
Hello! moneyspider_todd here. I'm a videogame/figure/vcr movies collector. My speciality are the fighting games, specially all related to SNES and/or Street Fighter.

Greetings!

SaveState

• I hack GBA, NES, and sometimes GBC
    • View Profile
    • SaveState's ROM Hacking Site
« Reply #1187 on: March 26, 2019, 05:40:49 pm »
Howdy! I'm SaveState!
I am a very well-balanced fellow, in terms of my achievements so far in life.
I became an Eagle Scout just before turning 14, I am a former gymnast (can do flips), I go to an IB high school, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints (aka a Mormon), and I'm a video game enthusiast!

My ROM Hacking "career" started about 4 years ago, not long after someone introduced me to emulation. Back then, I just did simple little hacks of Pokemon Fire Red, and tried making some large-scale ones, all of which died eventually :'(.
Then, about 2 years ago, I got into the Super Mario Bros. hacking scene, starting my big (currently live) project, Super Rex Dash.
Recently, I started my Pokemon Diamond NES translation, and also got into NES assembly, the latter of which I am not the best at :P.

I absolutely love this site! It is so friendly, and I feel right at home here!

ddw_1978

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 30, 2019, 01:48:54 am »
Greetings, everyone!

I'm a creative-minded individual (mostly with pencil & paper) and an old-school gamer so I love to see new twists on my favorite games. I know nothing about hacking, but I've been certainly been playing hacks long enough and I appreciate the time, effort and love that go into them.

Huber

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 06, 2019, 03:12:10 am »
Hi.

Name's Huber. I'm just a typical "RPGs, Platformers, Shooters, Beat em Ups..."-gamer. Especially into NES at the moment. No romhacking skills at all so far. Very grateful for this page. Thank you to all the creators, contributors and supporters.

Super excited to explore all the good stuff here! Greetings

Dasha-Supa

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »
Hello,

Not much to say about myself. I am casual NES & SNES fan. I really appreciate all the translation and improvement hacks made by this community. All the hard work put into these hacks has made revising the classics a fun time.

Thanks!

Sakura Sumisu

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 11, 2019, 12:40:33 pm »
Hey everybody, my name here is Sakura Sumisu. Nice to meet you all  :)

What made me want to join here is that I want to translate most of it into english, Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd# for my PSP. I really just want it in english like the first 2nd is that you can get here http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2641/. I don't need it near 100% like the 1st & extend Project Diva is. I just want the menus, lists (songs, modules, items, titles, etc.), descriptions, messages, and lyrics in english. Wish me luck, and if anyone can please help  ;)

DanielFA

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 22, 2019, 08:34:16 am »
Hi!

My name is Daniel and I'm glad to meet you all. I started doing simple SMB1/2J/3 cheats and hacks last year and now I'm trying to make my way into 6502 assembly. My main projects are the restyling of SMB2J and SMB3 into SMB1 1985 look (only a matter of personal -weird- taste) and my own platformer. Just discovered a month ago the famous disassemblies from doppelganger and southbird so decided to learn programming for the NES to understand them following some tutorials and documents from this and other sites. A week ago I made my first walking sprite (a cat) with animated feet and it makes me feel really happy! However, I'll need some help from you...

:)