News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.  (Read 90801 times)

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2020, 02:27:06 pm »
I doubt the 4MB patch is even needed.

I have already addressed the skipping of movies and text scenes.  Basically you just need to trick the game into thinking you beat the game.  Now personally, I like the idea of extra features when you beat a game, so instead of flagging the game is beat,  I went through all the scenes and just replaced the instruction that gets the game beaten flag with a simple mov #0x1, r#.

The map,  there is plenty of space in VDP2 to have a map like SOTN, not sure why KCEN chose to do it the way they did.

File rearrangement should help with some of the slow loads.

I am also going to switch to a low res screen when entering the menu,  not sure why they chose to pick high res.

Ziggy587

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2020, 07:22:24 pm »
Hey knight0fdragon, I didn't realize you also posted here. Thanks so much for giving this game an English translation! Hopefully I didn't come across as unappreciative in my post, because I think it's really awesome that you're doing this and I very much appreciate it. And I didn't realize you were working on anything outside the scope of the translation.

To me, the ability to skip cut scenes makes sense because if you're playing the Saturn version you very likely already beat another version of the game. But I don't mind watching them (and I would WANT to watch them if they were in English). I know the YZB hack did a few things, but for me there are 2 improvements that I think are huge.

The map, I guess KCEN did it the way they did because they wanted that "third hand" option and ran out of buttons. But one tends to call up the map WAY more often than one would use an item, so to me it just makes more sense to have a dedicated map button than the third hand. But the button combo that YZB did is perfectly fine. Having a way to go directly in and out of the map (and not into the menu first) is my most favorite part of the YZB hack. What were you planning regarding the map?

The slightly longer load times I don't actually mind. I use to joke that they added the ability to run because of the slow down and longer load times. But it's the delay when entering and exiting the menu that really bothers me. Loading a new area is usually only every once in a while, but going into the menu could be often. Having the slight delay going into the map, over the course of a playthrough, starts to get tiring. If you made the menu the same resolution as the game, that would be HUGE for anyone using a scaler (or anything with long sync times). Does that resolution change have anything to do with the delay going in and out of the menu? I assumed the 4MB hack helped with the menu delay because some thing(s) were loaded into RAM that normally weren't. But I have no idea.

IIRC, with the 4MB hack there was no loading going into transport rooms, where as the vanilla game had to load that room first (then load again when you transport). I assumed this was also due to the extra RAM, which wouldn't be possible otherwise (or I'm wrong). But either way, better file arrangement would help with loads game-wide so it might be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2020, 09:18:55 pm »
There are many things causing the delay, but the large Kanji file (now gone), the high res loading, and the terrible placement of files on the disc causing long seek times are all key components.

Ziggy587

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2020, 09:30:58 pm »
Well that's awesome! If your translation were to have a map button solution, less or no delay to pull up the menu, and better file order than it would certainly be my go-to way to play the game. In my opinion this would be even better than the 4MB hack because not everyone has a 4MB RAM cart and those that do know that the trade off is having to use the Saturn's internal save RAM.

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2020, 02:18:34 am »
Hey k0d. Would be possible to reencode the PS1 FMVs into the saturn truemotion?
It always pisses me how the Konami logo is a fullscreen video but the in game videos are cropped from the 4:3 PS ones.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:26 pm »
Hey k0d. Would be possible to reencode the PS1 FMVs into the saturn truemotion?
It always pisses me how the Konami logo is a fullscreen video but the in game videos are cropped from the 4:3 PS ones.
LOL, didn't knew about this. What were they thinking?  :laugh:

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
LOL, didn't knew about this. What were they thinking?  :laugh:

It's infurating LOL
SAT - PS1

The resolution is also shit. The Konami logo? Fullscreen with great image quality. :banghead:

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2020, 05:00:12 pm »
If somebody can create this, I will include it. FMV is the least of my worries right now.

Aterbust

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2020, 07:48:09 am »
Hello, I provide an unfinished version of the trad. There is still a lot to do.

Use xdeltaUI for the patch.

http://dl.free.fr/sj2uw1bsG

Info for the original CD : http://redump.org/disc/3849/

ps:
I just found another secret: on the title screen (push start button) do not touch any button on the controller, at some point (10 min) a female voice will speak
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:00:52 am by Aterbust »

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2020, 07:20:48 pm »
Yeah, that speaking voice gets annoying when you leave your Saturn on while you are developing lol.

I am not sure what is in your patch, but I am finished with the translation.  I am currently adding the voices in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSkCSUqqDA&lc=UgwBETg3UcIbeHIJ-1N4AaABAg

December 03, 2020, 12:18:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's infurating LOL
SAT - PS1

The resolution is also shit. The Konami logo? Fullscreen with great image quality. :banghead:

TrekkiesUnite118 was kind enough to provide better videos, so it will be added.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:18:29 am by knight0fdragon »

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2020, 07:18:30 am »
Amazing. I was planning to encode myself those videos. Glad he did. Trekkies does everything. :laugh:

Hitokiri

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2020, 07:30:49 pm »
Hello people. Great job yours. I have only one suggestion:

Have you considered the possibility of changing Richter's clothes?

There is a secret outfit that he wears when you face him on Saturn, but it’s not the same official outfit as the game’s artwork.

My proposal would be to modify this outfit for the official artwork of the game that can be seen in the mugen game of Castlevania Fighter.

link Download game:
https://castlevania-fighter.uptodown.com/windows/descargar

Thanks for listening.

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2020, 11:28:14 am »
Not sure I understand,  you have the option of the Rondo of Blood look or the trench coat look.

I do not know what is needed to play this mugen fighter, the download included is missing files.

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2020, 03:00:08 pm »
I think it's exactly the same outfit as the artwork. The odd thing is the short hair only.

Hitokiri

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2020, 05:36:12 pm »
Yes. In the Saturn version there is an extra Richter outfit that is a long coat, but it is not the same official outfit as the game art. You can use it by doing a trick that is:

Press Up and C simultaneously to play the game with the long-sleeved costume that Richter wears during the Alucard game.

NOTE: It is not the same outfit as the official art of the game, it is one invented for Saturn.

My suggestion would be to add this outfit from the official art to make the game complete as they did in the PS1 version with a mod.

See the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5XQ22vYnSI&t=309s

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2020, 12:06:12 pm »
I am not seeing a difference.  The Evil Richter version has the collar up hiding his hair. 

For that video you sent,  that Richter seems to not  belong in the game.  No idea what it is, but he stands out too much.

December 08, 2020, 12:13:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK, I see what you are getting at.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/114426/

You want the trench coat to be open, showing his white shirt.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:13:20 pm by knight0fdragon »

Hitokiri

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2020, 01:33:41 pm »
Well ... The Richter I'm talking about is his original version of the game's art, which only appears part of his image in dialogues. That video that I showed was a Patch created by fan for the PS1 version to make the game's art more original since the Konami version they only reused the same sprites from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine). So many fans complained at the time because Konami did not put on Richter's real clothes from the game's official arts.
Take a look:

Note that this is quite different from the blue coat outfit that the Saturn version brought to the game.

The art of the game is much more faithful than the one that the Sega Saturn version presented.

You can even see all of Richter's outfit on the coliseum scene.
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywssCBvhNo

Werewolf & Minotaurus Boss Fight: (32:50). Richter Belmont summons the two demons to attack Alucard in the Colosseum
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:09:40 pm by Hitokiri »

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2020, 10:50:21 am »
It isn't different, it just isn't buttoned in the art.  I guess that would be considered the lapel. The border color being bright makes it hard to see.  Here is a quick edit showing it is pretty much the same.

https://imgur.com/wP7VLMh

How do you attach images into the post?  The image tag doesn't work (unless animated gifs aren't supported)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:53:01 am by knight0fdragon »

Hitokiri

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2020, 08:46:50 pm »
It isn't different, it just isn't buttoned in the art.  I guess that would be considered the lapel. The border color being bright makes it hard to see.  Here is a quick edit showing it is pretty much the same.

https://imgur.com/wP7VLMh

How do you attach images into the post?  The image tag doesn't work (unless animated gifs aren't supported)

Well ... in my eyes I still find the mod of Richter's clothes created by the fans more similar to the official art of the game.

Attached image. For me it works normally without any error. Or you can just use the HTML code which is:
[img*]http://Here you place the image link [/img*]

NOTE: Just remove the little star * from the end of the code to work.

There, the image comes with the sample attached.

I hope I can help.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:06:51 pm by Hitokiri »

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2020, 10:11:38 pm »
All of this talk made me realize something.  I should try to see if I can add the younger portrait when confronting Dracula.