News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.  (Read 76979 times)

Solseal

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:38 pm »
I'm trying to change the dialogue in that chr file and I'm out of ideas. I tried to use YY-CHR but as you can see from the first post they are too close together. I heard that some people do this at the hexadecimal level but at an uncompress state.
Gemini... I have another question if you allow me. If a certain text is compressed within the game files... how can I find/read/change it?

After I change the chr file... there's the question of the timing between the characters. I think the ptn file has something to to do with it. I hope  :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:32:23 pm by Solseal »

Solseal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
Well... it has almost passed a month since I started this project. In fact... way before I posted this topic I tried to find a way to translate the game. For what a I could determine... all the text within the game, except the in-game menu, are images. With this in mind I tried to find tools that could read this files(like YY-CHR) but without success. But I found a very interresting claim in the internet. It seems that sega saturn programmers used, in some games, the Genesis format. With that in mind I used "Tiled2002" to read the "S011.CHR" file with the Genesis format and... bingo... I was able to see the japanese characters but they were "cutted" in the bottom. In fact... the were located at a diferent place in the file.  So... it's not 100% Genesis format. I messed a little in the hexadecimal and I determine that I could, with  considerably afford and time, change the text in the dialogues. I could even create a software that could instantly write a whole sentence in that file but... I'm not sure if this is worth the time. If I'm unable to change the text within the game(weapons, items, library list, etc.)... this is simply pointless. There is soo little information about how Sega Saturn works. If I could someway find and edit the text within this files...
But don't worry... I'm not giving up. I'm just gonna work on this a little less.

Till next time,
Solseal     

CyberWarriorX

• View Profile
    • CyberWarriorX.com

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15979

Maybe you can get help from these guys? They are working on a Saturn translation of another game.

Solseal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »
Thanks. I'll take a look.

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »
Hi Guys, my name is Bruno AKA SaturnAR.

I'm currently working in SS SoTN translation from JAP to ENG (despite the fact I speak Spanish).

I know this is an old thread but hopefully I'll be able to discuss with you some things about SS SoTN. Most of things are drawn in VDP2 making thins quite harder to extract/analyze/patch.

For example, all menu screens are Tilemaps. All dialogs are tilemaps too. KANJI.FON (12x16px fixed width) is only used AFAIK, for some text during game's main menu. Font is compressed. 1 nibble defines the color of 3 pixels. ASCII.FON seems to use the same compression method but char size seems different (and interlaced?). I made a custom tool to extract both: KANJI.FON and ASCII.FON.

Dialogs are stored in several files. Associated .CHR stores tiles ("characters" in SS VDP2 manual) data. Each tile is in this case 8x8px and 4bpp (palette). Only 2 colors of the possible16 are used: black/transparent and 0xE738 (ABGR1555 = 0xE738 RGB888 0xC0C8C8). Several tile sets can be stored in a single .CHR file.

.PTN (Pattern?) stores tilemaps. Each .PTN can store several tilemaps. Each XXX.CHR contains tile data for the associated XXX.PTN file. Data stored is optimized, using sometimes one tilemap line for more than one game dialog line.

I've also made a tool for extracting all the dialogs with success.

.PRG seems to be program files (SH2 code mostly with, maybe, some strings).

Dracula X main title logo is also Tiled. In this case palette is 8bit (256 color palette). Tiles are loaded starting from absolute address 0x05E18000 and image is stored (If I remember right) around 0x05E40000. Similar case for Data Select Screens, etc.

I have not researched items descriptions / inventory. I do saw that all static info is stored in VDP2 too. If I have to guess, as a tilemap, again.

If you, Gemini, could give me the graphics you used for the PSX translation, you would save me lots of time.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:32:50 pm by BrunoF »
Anyone can romhack a PSX game. Now go serious and try with a Sega Saturn one...

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 07:32:03 pm »
Most of things are drawn in VDP2 making thins quite harder to extract/analyze/patch.
Entities are even treated like polygonal models with just one face.

If you, Gemini, could give me the graphics you used for the PSX translation, you would save me lots of time.  :thumbsup:
I should search for them, I have them locked up in some old hard disk. Not that they are exactly useful, you can more than likely redo them with the Cloister font and adapt them to the higher resolution, instead of stretching the bitmaps like KCEN did.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 08:20:43 pm »
Entities are even treated like polygonal models with just one face.

I knew that's what they did in PSX version. Didn't know they made it for the Saturn too.

I should search for them, I have them locked up in some old hard disk. Not that they are exactly useful, you can more than likely redo them with the Cloister font and adapt them to the higher resolution, instead of stretching the bitmaps like KCEN did.

I know that PSX uses 256px width and Saturn 320px, but I'm not good with graphics so I thought that maybe I could some PSX graphics. Like the title logo. Even if it's smaller.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:21 am »
Hi Guys, my name is Bruno AKA SaturnAR.

I'm currently working in SS SoTN translation from JAP to ENG (despite the fact I speak Spanish).
What a coincidence. I also began to hack this game. But everything is done on the ass so much through that very difficult to understand.
Here are some successes.
Spoiler:

PS: I did not understand where the graphics of menu (apparently packed), and where are the inscriptions of names of characters that appear in the dialogues.

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 11:34:49 am »
What a coincidence. I also began to hack this game. But everything is done on the ass so much through that very difficult to understand.
Here are some successes.
Spoiler:

PS: I did not understand where the graphics of menu (apparently packed), and where are the inscriptions of names of characters that appear in the dialogues.

Well, glad to know you.

If you like to, send me a PM and we can team up.  :beer:

kal

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 10:22:29 am »
Hello guys how you doing with this project :)

I'm a fan of this and many other IGA Castlevania games, recently I was able to get an universal v3 chip and a saturn model 2 console, honestly I finish SOTN few times in psx and also PSP.

Sincerely I would like to see your goal accomplished, but I know this is a complicated task and I would like to help.

I dont know how much help I can provide, but Im a programmer with 5 years of experience in Visual Basic and WPF, in the past I also work with php, SQL, action script 3.0 and crystal reports. I speak spanish natively and also english, the company I work for is canadian company actually.

And well, my very own saturn with chip, if you guys teaming up and you think I can be of any help and is whitin my possibilities, I would love to help.

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »
Hi kal,

project is up and running.  ;D I sent you a personal message.

Cheers

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 07:56:33 am »
You should try changing the sprites of Dracula's first and second forms in the first boss battle of the game to make them look more like their appearances from Rondo of Blood: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Rondo_of_Blood_Dracula.png

You should also try and the fix the game up where it actually does take the advantage of the power of the Sega Saturn, give it the correct screen resolution, less loading times and slowdown, better 3D effects and polygons and maybe try and add a 4MB ram cart option as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:06:58 am by SCD »

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 02:34:15 pm »
You should try changing the sprites of Dracula's first and second forms in the first boss battle of the game to make them look more like their appearances from Rondo of Blood: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Rondo_of_Blood_Dracula.png

You should also try and the fix the game up where it actually does take the advantage of the power of the Sega Saturn, give it the correct screen resolution, less loading times and slowdown, better 3D effects and polygons and maybe try and add a 4MB ram cart option as well.

This is ONLY a complete game translation. We may change some sprites, but we won't be touching game's engine. We don't own the source code to be even remotely near of changing game behaviour, core or physics. Of course we would love to see all the original game problems fixed, but we only have one life to live.

I'll assume your comment is 99% percent of pure trolling; or 100% ignorance.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »
This is ONLY a complete game translation. We may change some sprites, but we won't be touching game's engine. We don't own the source code to be even remotely near of changing game behavior, core or physics. Of course we would love to see all the original game problems fixed, but we only have one life to live.

I'll assume your comment is 99% percent of pure trolling; or 100% ignorance.

I was just suggesting ideas, I wasn't trolling or being ignorant. I was just trying to help, I apologize if you think I said something wrong in my previous comment. You didn't had to get rude at me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:41:32 pm by SCD »

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 06:11:11 pm »
I was just suggesting ideas, I wasn't trolling or being ignorant. I was just trying to help, I apologize if you think I said something wrong in my previous comment. You didn't had to get rude at me.

Please excuse me if I sounded rude. My native tongue is spanish so I might misunderstood your words. For me, they just looked like if you were making an AutoMac order.

Cheers

almmiron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »
Congrats BrunoF for the project. I know many gamers around the world will be glad to finnaly have a SOtN saturn translation. I would help if I had any japanese knowledge, but is not the case. There isn't many saturn translations around, i'm glad to see people doing that  :) .I hope you suceed in your mission!
mygameroom:
29'' Flat SDCRT: {Y'CbCr [480i(PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX)] + [240p(Wii & XBOX HB emulators)] + S-video(PSX, N64/Everdrive 64, Saturn)}
39'' Led HDTV: {Y'CbCr [480p(Wii + NGC via nintendont)] + [720p(XBOX)] + VGA [480p(Dreamcast) + HDMI [720p/1080p(PS3 + XBOX360 + Wii U + XBOX ONE + PS4 + PC)]

BrunoF

• Sega Saturn shiro!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 11:36:39 am »
Congrats BrunoF for the project. I know many gamers around the world will be glad to finnaly have a SOtN saturn translation. I would help if I had any japanese knowledge, but is not the case.

Thanks for your comment! Romhack is currently up and run! Paul is a great teammate  :crazy:

There isn't many saturn translations around, i'm glad to see people doing that  :) .I hope you suceed in your mission!

I'm currently working in Policenauts and SoTN, both for the SEGA Saturn.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 09:22:51 pm »
I'm really curious to know if this project is d.o.a.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 02:50:09 am »
Yeah, the first attempt at a translation didn't last long. Glad to see someone else started a translation.