News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Trying to submit a hack  (Read 2806 times)

mojoe128

• View Profile
Trying to submit a hack
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:48:04 am »
I tried to submit a hack to the site but had some issues with my ips file.  They said my patch had most of the entire original rom in it.  I am not really experienced making ips patchs.  I made a new one with lunar ips and it is smaller.....but i cant tell if it is going to fall into the same most of old rom category.  If any one had any tips for making correct ips files i would love some help.  Also they said i didn't have header status for my rom.  Not sure what that is

I'm real excited to release this hack so any help would be appreciated

Thanks
mojoe128

January 28, 2013, 01:23:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I resubmitted with the new smaller .ips and other info they were asking for.  Hopefully it works this time.  Keep an eye out for an awesome Super Bomberman 2 hack!  Cross my fingers
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:23:16 pm by mojoe128 »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to submit a hack
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:27 pm »
SNES ROMs sometimes contain an unnecessary header at the beginning of the file. Creating a patch from a hacked ROM with no header and an original ROM with a header will result in a patch that contains almost the entire hacked ROM.

The second part is about telling the person playing the hack how to properly patch their ROM. If the patch was created with an unheadered ROM, it needs to be applied to an unheadered ROM. While this can be solved with a little trial and error, it's easier to avoid if the type is listed.
Mauron wuz here.

mojoe128

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33:01 pm »
Is this the same header that has the chksum/hirom/lowrom settings and the name of the game in normal writing in a hex editor?  If so the version i started with has a header.  Also the first one i expanded the rom but didn't change the chksum settings.  The second one i fixed it.  I don't know if that even matters.  Anyway we will see if what i submitted was correct

EDIT-  I looked into it and the one i have been using does not have a header
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:45:46 pm by mojoe128 »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:22 pm »
No, it's not the internal header. That is an important part of the game's data. Headered SNES ROMs have an extra 512 bytes at the beginning which were added by the tool used to create the dump.
Mauron wuz here.

mojoe128

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
Yea thanks for your help.  The one i use does not have a header

edit- and i think the original i used to make the patch the first time had a header.  That is why it copied most of the original rom into the .ips
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:08:23 pm by mojoe128 »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:28:59 am »
Or you could just pick a better patch format that can properly deal with a minor difference like this. Of course, it is still bad practice for a patch to switch between headered and unheadered. Both input and output should be the same (preferably unheadered)

mojoe128

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
Ya!  My Super Bomberman 2 hack submission got approved!!  Thanks again for your help.  Check it out please!  I would love some feedback   :woot!:

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »

mojoe128

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
Awesome!  Yea it would be great to see what you come up with for a Zelda that fits the art style.  I'm gonna be away from my comp for a few weeks but when i get back I will definitely post the bomberman character tile layout.  Also with a Bit more work in understanding how the menu sprites work I think I can add new characters relatively easly.  It's really easy to make them show up in the match.  The hard part is having it show up in the menu. 

Also they share the same palettes..... It can be kind of limiting.  I was trying a Mario at one point but it didn't look that good because of the palette

Also if you don't feel like waiting for me,  the character art starts at c30000(if I remember correctly........  And if not It's pretty obvious looking)