News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior I & II (GBC) - text table issue  (Read 3485 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Bang Bang
    • View Profile
Dragon Warrior I & II (GBC) - text table issue
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »
Hello everyone! So I thought I'd make a simple text patch that changes the spell names of Dragon Warrior I & II for the GBC to their shiny new counterparts that started at Dragon Quest VIII.

However, I'm at a loss as to how to go about finding the text. A simple Internet search yielded that these versions are not oft hacked games. I decided to try my own hand by doing a relative search in Windhex32... nothing, multiple times. Failing that, I decided to see if I could decipher the table myself by opening up the font block in YY-Chr and inputting the equivalent values as a new table file. All that did was end up in an array of gibberish being displayed throughout the ROM.

I'm completely perplexed. Does anyone know what's going on here? I tried looking up some documents, but they either only provided specific help for a specific platform or basically said to do a relative search, the latter of which I've tried.

Thank you all and have a nice day! :)
Check out and discuss my projects

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Dragon Warrior I & II (GBC) - text table issue
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:18:58 pm »
If it loads the entire font to VRAM, you can view it in BGB's VRAM viewer and build your table.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:47 pm »
DW1+2 is one of those games that prints the message window out in VRAM, so viewing the VRAM isn't going to help.
Still, open the ROM in a tile editor. Font is at address $30000.
A relative search for "adiant" (Radiant, search without mixing upper and lowercase) has a match at around $38A00. (a=24)

Unless you're saying that match is a false positive?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Bang Bang
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
That looks to be right. Thank you KingMike, I hadn't thought of just searching one particular case.
Check out and discuss my projects