Edit 2018.05.02: New thread! Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4 Undub
I've had for the longest time the idea of "undubbing" Megaman X4 and 8 (I'm thinking of the PS1 versions right now, but I'm interested on the Saturn versions too, specially for Megaman 8 ), and by that I mean...
- Put the in-game voice clips from the japanese version into the english version.
- Taking the animated videos from the japanese version, edit them to add subtitles, and encoding them back into .STR format to put them in the english version.
I don't have any real experience hacking a game, but I figured this project would be fairly simple, a matter of finding the right files to replace, finding the right tools to correctly extract all game files from the CD images and re-building the edit CD image, and the right tools to encode an edited video back into .STR format.
Tools collected so far:
- CDmage (to replace files in a PSX .BIN without breaking it)
- PSmplay (to play and recognize the content of .XA files)
- TOC_Changer_v1.2_by_Phoenix (to try and replace files bigger than the original)
- STR Converter by ikskoks, and VirtualDub (to add subtitles to STR videos. Not actually used yet)
Today, I started toying around with Megaman X4 (PSX).
What I could do (the easy part):
- Replaced the opening movie, just to see if replacing an .STR for another was as straight forwad as I thought. At least for this one it was, since the filesizes matched.
- Replaced most voice clips stored in .XA format (Maverick in-game voices). Didn't replace the title screen voice (the one saying "Megaman X4") nor the boss introduction voice clips (to keep their english names)
What I haven't done (the hard part):
- I haven't touched the rest of the .STR videos yet (the ones I want to add subtitles to). I'm not sure how easy or hard this would be once I have the editing done, I guess it all depends of how similar I can get the file sizes of the edited videos to be.
- Couldn't replace the .XA containing the ending song because the filesize was almost 5 MB bigger than the american one. I tried using the tool that changes the max file sized allowed on the Table of Contents of the CD ("TOC Changer"), but 5 MB is more than it allowed to change. Gonna see if I can find a workaround for this...
- I still can't find the in-game voices for X and Zero (which really worries me, since it's the most important part of this whole thing). It's not contained in any .XA file, so my guess it's in one or more .ARC files, which I don't know how to handle. Googling around, it seems that the .ARC format is a custom compression format, used only by a handful of game. So yeah, it's a lot harder than I thought. Now I don't know if it can be done without actual knowledge in the matter. (Maybe the only way for me to do this would be blindly replacing any .ARC file that "looks" like it could be a voice clip, and do a bunch of tests... *sigh*)
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience trying this, or something similar? Any pointer or advices anyone here could give me would be very appreciated