Holy crap the psp may have a better upcoming library of games than the 3ds

Started by StranglingManiac, January 16, 2013, 04:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StranglingManiac

Isnt that sad how a dying system has more interesting games coming out than nintendo's handheld --the one nintendo obly released one noteworthy game for the last. Holiday season at all called paper mario.

Check out this list of confirmed for western release psp games coming out soon:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=507364

Particularly looks more impressive than any 3ds game coming out in the next few months (yes including fireemblem because that series is just dragging on way too long):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/998172-carnage-heart-exa

Where are the new ips, new zeldas, actually challenging 2d platformers (which new super mario bros 2 isnt), f zero, new starfox, localizations from third parties, etc.

DankPanties

Uh most of those have an "unknown release date".  That means they might not be released here.  Not that I don't want them to be, I do...

StranglingManiac

Well the robot one was confirmed for digital I believe (that link claims so) and it seems wuite interesting. See thats something I never see from the 3ds, interesting. Its all predictable and sequels or spinoffs to existing and old franchises like aninal crossing or pokemon. Nothing unpredictable, unique or surprising like in the ds days (remember when yoshis story was announced?). Yea there was kid icarus, but those controls...

If Nintendo announced f zero with online multiplayer I would be a fan again of this handheld. no other f zero had online play before so it would be the first in the series.

Garoth Moulinoski

It wouldn't surprise that, if any of these actually do see a release in the US, it would be digital only. That would be the only way for PS Vita users to also play these games.

Also, StranglingManiac... you really like making new threads... ._.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

No offense, but I feel like some of these topics are explicitly created to troll a few of us.  If this is not the case, I apologize, but it's not hard to draw that conclusion.

Also, I will say that most of those games hold little to no appeal to me.  There's just too much anime shtick there, and it's especially funny that you're complaining about the lack of new IPs on 3DS when these games fall into the "generic anime tropes" category as well.

Now, I'll freely admit that the 3DS lineup hasn't been overly strong.  I'd like to see a few more really good games come out for it.  Fire Emblem is a start.  The remake of Dragon Quest VII will hopefully cross the pond.  Plus, isn't the 3DS getting both Soul Hackers and SMT IV?  Plus, that little thing called Pokemon X/Y.  Even if I'm not a fan of Pokemon, that's an atom bomb that Nintendo's dropping in the handheld market.

Oh, yeah, and Etrian Odyssey IV.  And assuming we get it, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (oy vey, that name).  The new Luigi's Mansion.  And there are some folks here that love Monster Hunter, and there's one of those, too.

So...  no?  3DS, even in its less-than-prolific state, is doing much better than the PSP at this point.  As it should be.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

Yes, 3DS is getting a Soul Hackers remake/port that Atlus is interested in localizing iirc. And SMT IV (as long as the name doesn't change to something else).

And yeah, with Monster Hunter and Pokemon being released on the 3DS, it looks like it will be strong.
Who will quote me next?

StranglingManiac

I am not interested in monster collecting games like pokemon, monster hubter, or social style freemium games like animal crossing. Id much rather play an open world wrpg like the jeff vpgel avernun games, elder scrolls, or even witcher. Heck id rather play ff 7 or ff 9than any of those 3ds games.

January 16, 2013, 05:16:55 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

To tell the truth, I think iOS stuff like ravensword 2 excites me more than any of these upcoming 3ds games. Unless its final fantasy or a new ip that takes on a historical plot of sorts like. Jean of arc, i dont really even like jrpgs. I mean the plot has tobe surreal, like ff7 or the secret of mana surreal, for me to really finish them. For me, the shenmue series are the best games ever made. Thats the taste i got. Give me shenmue or elder scrolls or even ultima 7 then we can talk. Oh and i like futuristic racers like wipeout and f zero.

SargeSmash

Different strokes for different folks, then.  (I wouldn't hold my breath for much in the way of WRPGs on the 3DS.  And I've expressed my disdain for most of tablet gaming earlier, I probably don't need to go into that again.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

StranglingManiac

If nintendo turned out another mario 3d land but a hard version (think mario sunshine or mario galaxy 2 vs galaxy 1) id live with my purchase. If they actually rurned out a challenging 2d mario like new mario bros for wii, or ported newmario bros wii u, id also take it.

DarknessSavior

Quote from: StranglingManiac on January 16, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
I am not interested in monster collecting games like pokemon, monster hubter, or social style freemium games like animal crossing. Id much rather play an open world wrpg like the jeff vpgel avernun games, elder scrolls, or even witcher. Heck id rather play ff 7 or ff 9than any of those 3ds games.

January 16, 2013, 05:16:55 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

To tell the truth, I think iOS stuff like ravensword 2 excites me more than any of these upcoming 3ds games. Unless its final fantasy or a new ip that takes on a historical plot of sorts like. Jean of arc, i dont really even like jrpgs. I mean the plot has tobe surreal, like ff7 or the secret of mana surreal, for me to really finish them. For me, the shenmue series are the best games ever made. Thats the taste i got. Give me shenmue or elder scrolls or even ultima 7 then we can talk. Oh and i like futuristic racers like wipeout and f zero.
Monster Hunter is not a "monster collecting game". Monster Hunter involves you going out and hunting monsters a thousand times your size, and carving them up to make them into your new set of armor or weapon. Don't even put that on the same PAGE as Pokemon, kthxbye.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

StranglingManiac

But its tedious and not open world with multiple wuests, towns, places to visit, things to do, etc. like the elder scroll games.

Garoth Moulinoski

Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

You're just not going to find much open-world stuff for 3DS.  Or PSP, for that matter.  Which begs the question:  Is there anything that could even be considered similar to Elder Scrolls on any handheld?  Any era is fair game.  I'm going to hazard a guess that they're extremely rare or non-existent.

Garoth Moulinoski

Untold Legends for PSP was kinda open-ish. Kinda. But it was mediocre at best.
Who will quote me next?

Lilinda

There were some open world games for the PSP, but not RPG ones. Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories are a good example.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Zoinkity

Re-release of FF2 on handheld was technically open-world, insofar as you could putz around on the entirety of the main continent doing ...stuff and ...hitting shops or whatnot. 

Honestly, most rpgs aren't even open-world.  Virtually all have a guided main plot with occational sidequests, as they guide you from one unlocked region to the next giving you the opportunity to putz around on the way.  Even things like Assassin's Creed is only seemingly open-world, insofar as you can do things in your own time and complete objectives in whatever order you deem.  Maybe that isn't true of the later titles or the handheld ones; I've heard they're more guided.

So, how long a leash are we talking for an open-world handheld?

I always felt Secret of Mana was just generic fantasy.  Evermore would be more surreal.

DankPanties

Quote from: StranglingManiac on January 16, 2013, 04:56:04 PMIf Nintendo announced f zero with online multiplayer I would be a fan again of this handheld. no other f zero had online play before so it would be the first in the series.

I would love that too, for I am a huge F-Zero fan.

Unfortunately Miyamoto himself doesn't understand why people would want a new game in the franchise:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

QuoteI am also very curious and I would like to ask these people why F-Zero? What you lack that we have not yet done?

Howabout the ability to create and share your own tracks online?

Howabout the ability to have online races with leader boards?

Howabout the ability to design your own race car with upgradable parts and custom decals?

Howabout an F-Zero racing/JRPG hybrid not entirely unlike Racing Lagoon?

Howabout Nintendo stops shitting out New Super Mario games long enough to remember it has other franchises needing proper love; Star Fox, Mother, and F-Zero for example.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: DankPanties on January 17, 2013, 08:53:05 AM
I would love that too, for I am a huge F-Zero fan.

Unfortunately Miyamoto himself doesn't understand why people would want a new game in the franchise:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

Howabout the ability to create and share your own tracks online?

Howabout the ability to have online races with leader boards?

Howabout the ability to design your own race car with upgradable parts and custom decals?

Quick! Write this on Twitter!!

I would do it myself, but I don't have a Twitter account... :/
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

Quote from: SargeSmash on January 16, 2013, 05:52:30 PMIs there anything that could even be considered similar to Elder Scrolls on any handheld?

An Elder Scrolls game -almost- happened on PSP:

http://manatank.com/2011/11/forgotten-lore-portable-elder-scrolls/

I guess the closest thing I can think of right now is this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961150-fighting-fantasy-the-warlock-of-firetop-mountain/images?page=1

It's semi-open world, with optional quests, a first person combat engine, and such.  Is it a good game?  That I could not tell you.

MontyMole

Never played the DS version but I had the book of this when I was a  teenager and found it fun (as well as Deathtrap Dungeon too).

A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC