News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Spotting a Text File  (Read 2990 times)

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Spotting a Text File
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »
I'll start out. I have minor experience in gathering text, but it really comes down to compression. I'm just interested in dumping scripts and translating those, I guess.

I'm curious to know about any general options I have when I cannot find text for games I have made a relatively solid table file for. Say the table works in one file perfectly, but not in the next. Does that happen often? I'm going to write down my issues with a couple of games I'm peeking into in case anyone has specific information about such game, whether from peeking into it to or whatnot.

1. Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari (PSP)

So there's a folder called "Script," however, it's only file is CMN.TPK. 
I'm aware that it's commonly an extension of .DAT files of sorts, but also, when I'm digging around in Windhex, it says Script/Quest/yadda yadda, amongst other subfolders. Thing is, I have no idea how to dig around in there and grab text, if it is in there. I'm really more driven to the idea that it is all in a separate text folder with 50 billion .BIN files, but for the life of me, I cannot find actual text in there-- it's just a solid party of wingdings, so I'm assuming it's just compression, but what should I look into if that's the case?

2. Little Princess (PSX)
I've found the menu options (Item, status, etc) and the general status screen interface, so my table is correct. However, I cannot find script data. I'm assuming the song lyrics are part of the movie files, but I would really love to get the conversations and names of spells and battle menus as well.

3. Napple Tale (DC)
It looks like I'm on the same boat as with Little Princess. I can go in and dig out a lot from this game, so I'm fine with getting images, movies and music from the game, and I even have the saving text and items, but no dialogue.

4. Abarenbou Princess (PS2)
Same issue, except the opposite. It looks like I've got all of the prologue and individual Act chapters with me, but I can't really find NPC/casual dialogue text nor can I locate the main menue or the battle interface. Any ideas why that could be?

5. Reveal Fantasia (PS2)
This is an entirely unrelated question, but I've got a file called Reveal.PS2 here, and I've seen some slight conversation about it on the boards here, but Apache isn't even touching it. I've also got this issue with general .DAT files. to my understanding it's more or less guesswork into finding a format to convert it to, but it's not working for me. Any way to actually extract that mischief?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Spotting a Text File
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:04:10 pm »
Most games with virtual file systems (CD based stuff) compress a bunch of the files into one giant file. That's pretty much what you've got there.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »
Most games with virtual file systems (CD based stuff) compress a bunch of the files into one giant file. That's pretty much what you've got there.

~DS

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I had suspected.
Any idea how to properly extract something like that? I don't mind digging around more, it's just a matter of digging when my computer is busy telling me it's not an archive.

I'm pretty stumped by SYM (the first game) and those hidden files.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:29:38 am »
Little Princess stores most of its text data packed in the scripting sequences. The format of those maps isn't exactly the most complicated, but you need a proper program just for parsing the structures.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Romsstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:57 am »
I'll start out. I have minor experience in gathering text, but it really comes down to compression. I'm just interested in dumping scripts and translating those, I guess.

I'm curious to know about any general options I have when I cannot find text for games I have made a relatively solid table file for. Say the table works in one file perfectly, but not in the next. Does that happen often? I'm going to write down my issues with a couple of games I'm peeking into in case anyone has specific information about such game, whether from peeking into it to or whatnot.

1. Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari (PSP)

So there's a folder called "Script," however, it's only file is CMN.TPK. 
I'm aware that it's commonly an extension of .DAT files of sorts, but also, when I'm digging around in Windhex, it says Script/Quest/yadda yadda, amongst other subfolders. Thing is, I have no idea how to dig around in there and grab text, if it is in there. I'm really more driven to the idea that it is all in a separate text folder with 50 billion .BIN files, but for the life of me, I cannot find actual text in there-- it's just a solid party of wingdings, so I'm assuming it's just compression, but what should I look into if that's the case?

2. Little Princess (PSX)
I've found the menu options (Item, status, etc) and the general status screen interface, so my table is correct. However, I cannot find script data. I'm assuming the song lyrics are part of the movie files, but I would really love to get the conversations and names of spells and battle menus as well.

3. Napple Tale (DC)
It looks like I'm on the same boat as with Little Princess. I can go in and dig out a lot from this game, so I'm fine with getting images, movies and music from the game, and I even have the saving text and items, but no dialogue.

4. Abarenbou Princess (PS2)
Same issue, except the opposite. It looks like I've got all of the prologue and individual Act chapters with me, but I can't really find NPC/casual dialogue text nor can I locate the main menue or the battle interface. Any ideas why that could be?

5. Reveal Fantasia (PS2)
This is an entirely unrelated question, but I've got a file called Reveal.PS2 here, and I've seen some slight conversation about it on the boards here, but Apache isn't even touching it. I've also got this issue with general .DAT files. to my understanding it's more or less guesswork into finding a format to convert it to, but it's not working for me. Any way to actually extract that mischief?

Can you upload a sample of Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari? Might look into it. Fairly only a few PSP games I've seen used compression. Could be the case but I would like to take a look.
I have written some extractors for PSP by now, so I could take a go.

About Little Princess: Could take a look, after all I got experience in PSX stuff, but in any case you would have to upload me somewhere the files to look into.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:19 pm »
Can you upload a sample of Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari? Might look into it. Fairly only a few PSP games I've seen used compression. Could be the case but I would like to take a look.
I have written some extractors for PSP by now, so I could take a go.

About Little Princess: Could take a look, after all I got experience in PSX stuff, but in any case you would have to upload me somewhere the files to look into.

Sorry for the late reply! I'll send you a message asking about it then. Maybe you could explain your extractors to me?

Sounds like a good deal of my problems lie in the multiple fonts factor, as far as the PS2 games are concerned. It hasn't really been an issue with GBA roms that I've dug into, so I wasn't suspecting it until I reread a few things. I'll have to dig around more in Abarenbou Princess and Reveal Fantasia, because I'm almost certain that I've got my toes dipped into them.