News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Hawken for Android (Project Shield)

Started by Garoth Moulinoski, January 07, 2013, 05:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargeSmash

Too much.  $400, although it has definite benefits over the Nexus 7.  Probably a little cheaper now, though.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

Ah. Yeah, I paid about as much for mine. It really has just become a comic book reader. Granted, it's friggin' nice to read on it (except for spreads, but then I zoom in and all's well). I'd love one that's like it, cheaper, and without the funky screen flickering problems.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

MisterJones

How stable is the hardware race in the android field anyway? Reading about Tegra4 and a load of shit, I wonder if it is worth investing into a tablet right now, or it would be smarter to wait until it stabilizes.
_-|-_

SargeSmash

Well, I thought I was pretty future proof, as far as these things go, as Tegra 3 hasn't exactly been around long, but that obviously didn't last.

That being said, I'm not sure how much impact this will really have.  Tablet gaming still isn't that great, in my opinion.  I did pick up N.O.V.A. 3 the other day, since it was on sale, but I haven't put in much time, and the lack of tactile feedback kills me.  And really, most of the pretty Android games are just knockoffs of more established franchises.  Maybe I'm just not giving it a fair shake, but I haven't been impressed overall, either with Droid gaming or iOS.

I'm not sure the Droid side of things will ever be that stable.  When you've got multiple manufacturers involved, they're always going to be trying to push the envelope, whereas Apple has the advantage of being their only internal competitor.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

KaioShin

Tegra 4 is supposedly pretty horribly outdated already. Typical nvidia design, not too efficient and now they ramp up power consumption and shit on efficiency to try and stay competitive. Don't believe the Tegra chips are somehow good just because nvidia is involved. They do have some exclusive games, true, but that's only because of nvidia giving developers lot's of money for it, not because the games couldn't technically run on other hardware too.

That whole segment is evolving pretty rapidly right now, I don't think any chip is top of the line for more than 6 months at a time. I doubt you can buy anything future proof. But yeah, tablet gaming isn't so great anyway - at least until those bluetooth controllers for Android devices get more easily available and widely supported. Then at least they'll be nice for emulation. But then you'll have to place the tablet in front of you and play with the controller - why not just turn on the TV and play on a real console? Tablets are for websurfing on the couch IMO, nothing more.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SargeSmash

Quote from: KaioShin on January 10, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
Tablets are for websurfing on the couch IMO, nothing more.
There is actually a lot of truth to this.  It's my primary use, along with some magazine reading, and the occasional MP3.  It's also pretty decent for emulation if you're using a Classic Controller Pro or something.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: KaioShin on January 10, 2013, 03:50:14 PMwhy not just turn on the TV and play on a real console? Tablets are for websurfing on the couch IMO, nothing more.

This is how I've felt about gaming and tablets. I don't know what could be done to reserve this (aside, maybe, from doing some sort of Smart Glass thing...)
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

Don't get me wrong, though.  It does exactly what I was expecting.  Much more so than the plans that I had for my M11x.  I love my M11x, and it's rather portable, but it's not that portable.

MisterJones

Yeah, I wasn't specifically reffering to gaming, but overall as a mobile thingamabob (yeah, I kinda derailed here). Yeah, I have noticed that pretty much many tablets get outdated rather soon, what with android os also shitting updates rather frequently. Anyone knows if iOS is a bit more "stable" in that regard?
_-|-_

Garoth Moulinoski

It isn't... You will have an "outdated" device by the following year. I bought my iPod Touch 4* last year February only to find out that even that was nerfed. Basically, if you want to play iOS games you needed either an iPad or an iPhone 4, since the iPod had at least half the ram the iPhone did. Not to mention that around October, the new iPod Touch 5 came out, so I was stuck with an old device that was already quite literally getting old.

And then my parents got me an iPod Touch 5, so I now have an iPod Touch that's as powerful as the previous iPhone. Yay. :/ There's already rumors of a new i-whatever line coming out sometime this year.

You figure that with all the money Apple makes of its fanbase, it would lower prices...

*An unlocked iPhone 4 (and 5 now) costs more than a 64 GB iPad. Seriously. You could probably buy one iPad and an iPod Nano with that much money and still have some left over. And you still wouldn't have an SD slot. Apple! Does it better than everyone! Better at laughing at everyone's faces.

(I do like my iPod Touch's. I'm just miffed by the hardware. They bill it as a gaming device and they fail on it)
Who will quote me next?

StranglingManiac

Come on, games like this are awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrnpvw3rIOA

They take me back to the retro gaming era, where simple, fun and addicting arcade games ruled and 2d platformers with simple gameplay were the norm. Think amiga or atari with stuff like spy vs spy, etc. and these games are only $.99 and i have much more fun with them than most nintendo 3ds stuff or ports of n64 games ive played. Plus, all the square enix stuff on the app store i think works better on the iPads bigger screen than the ds and controls well. Touch controls means you can select menu items easier and battle dommands anyway for rpgs.

January 10, 2013, 10:20:52 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I guess here is another ipad exclusive (thus far) that just came out:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173877

Also, Shadow Warrior just hit the ios streets and this game has some serious attitude foing for it. The sprites seemed tohave been totally enhanced and it feels like a new game.  The control is also freelook now (dont think it was for the original release):
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=171131