News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Hawken for Android (Project Shield)

Started by Garoth Moulinoski, January 07, 2013, 05:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garoth Moulinoski

QuoteThe Android version of Hawken will definitely be exclusive to the Tegra 4 chip, and likely exclusive to Project Shield, partly answering the question of platform exclusives I put forth in my analysis of the upcoming device.
Link [Kotaku]

So, Nvidia only just unveiled its "new" portable and it's already got a game promised for it. It's not exclusive, but as far as portable Hawken goes, it's near exclusive if the above ends up being true.

This is a good thing for it (and consumers), though. Exclusives are probably the main reason certain consoles move at all. Supposedly, the video game crash of the 80's happened due to a lack of exclusives on each console (basically, every console was the same deal). I know I would have never considered an iPod Touch if it had all the games I wanted to play available already for Android. Same about Wii, Xbox360, and PS3 (and well, older generations).

Thoughts on either topic? (just don't go on an Apple vs. Google tangent, it's done to death and I know that most of us probably prefer Google more than Apple- me included)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DarknessSavior

I love me some Hawken. And I'm all for Nvidia giving handhelds a shot. So this sounds like a plus.

Also, if none of you have heard of Hawken? It's a first person mech game, sorta like Mechwarrior but not so damned slow. It's free to play, and it's pretty amazing. You should all give it a shot.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Garoth Moulinoski

It's a good thing I thought to check RHDN while I'm home. I kept forgetting to get it and this reminded me. Although curiously and ironically, I'm having trouble logging into my account (I "sign in" but it just refreshes the page without having logged me in). Oh well.
Who will quote me next?

KaioShin

Mechwarrior is slow because it's a simulation and not a mecha cockpit grafted onto Unreal Tournament. :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DankPanties

I was going to type the exact same thing Kaio did.  That's kind of scary.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: KaioShin on January 08, 2013, 03:47:49 AM
Mechwarrior is slow because it's a simulation and not a mecha cockpit grafted onto Unreal Tournament. :P

Oh ho! I've got some fond memories of Unreal Tournament... Like, back in ~2004-6, playing in Computer Class (when I wasn't busy literally being the only person in the class doing any work).

But I have even fonder memories of Rise of Nations. Aww yeah. High School wasn't shabby at all...

(I have horrible memories of Mechwarrior, though... I was a kid when I was introduced to it, and even though I really liked it, I had trouble playing it. I remember blaming it on the computer!)

Oh, and hmm, I couldn't log in to the Hawken website at all. *shrug* Anyway, Hawken for portable! Likes? Also, exclusives being able to keep the industry from caving in on itself- thoughts?!
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

My brother played the crap out of Mechwarrior.  All of them.  I'm pretty sure I've got the MW2 soundtrack ingrained in my memory.  Thankfully, it's pretty good.  :D

Also, anyone remember Heavy Gear?  Those were pretty good, too.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

Man are you making me dig into the long forgotten dusty recesses of my memory banks.  I do remember Heavy Gear.  I never played the first game, but I gave its sequel a shot, along with Earthsiege, Terranova, and Shattered Steel.  They were all relatively interesting games, but none were as entertaining as Mechwarrior 3.  It's too bad Mechwarrior 3 is basically incompatible with every version of Windows past 98.

KaioShin

Did I ever mention I'm playing Mechwarrior Online? It's pretty good. It's still in (open) beta, but it's already pretty solid. Two game modes and about a dozen different mechs with 3 to 4 configurations for each. The gameplay is exactly as I remember it from MW4. It's looking really nice (CryEngine 3) and they managed to capture the feeling of the massive weight of the mechs quite splendidly.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DankPanties

Sounds great and honestly if I were into online gaming I would give it a shot.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: KaioShin on January 08, 2013, 01:41:00 PM
Did I ever mention I'm playing Mechwarrior Online? It's pretty good. It's still in (open) beta, but it's already pretty solid. Two game modes and about a dozen different mechs with 3 to 4 configurations for each. The gameplay is exactly as I remember it from MW4. It's looking really nice (CryEngine 3) and they managed to capture the feeling of the massive weight of the mechs quite splendidly.

Sounds great and I would like to try Mechwarrior again and see if I understand it any better now that I'm an adult. But I normally only get into online games when a friend or my sister is playing it... :S
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

I remember my brother playing MW3 on our old Pentium 166 MHz, which we had no business being able to run.  He used to snipe all the mechs from across the stages.  :)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

I played it on a Pentium 2 450Mhz with an ATI Rage 128 and maybe 256 megs of RAM.   :laugh:  It's funny now my phone is more powerful than that computer was.  (Also makes me feel old as shit.)  And yes I distinctly remember using long range lasers to cripple the enemy before closing in with shoulder mounted missiles.  It was the best real time mech game I've ever played.  I really would love to play the original Steel Battalion and its expansion pack but I just can't justify so much money for two games.

SargeSmash

Quote from: DankPanties on January 08, 2013, 03:11:49 PM
It's funny now my phone is more powerful than that computer was.  (Also makes me feel old as shit.)
Amen to that.  I was just commenting on that to someone the other day.  My old iPhone 3G is more powerful than my original PC, and I carry it on my belt.  Insanity.

Garoth Moulinoski

Well, it did use to be that a single computer could take up an entire room. Now it fits in your hand and does a heck of a lot more! XD

The world of computing, interesting and mind-blowing, it is.
Who will quote me next?

kingofcrusher

Heavy Gear ruled; all the sim aspects of Mech Warrior (or nearly all of them at least) but with cool looking mechs instead of those stupid looking chicken things. Great game, I always wished they would have ported it to something as my PC back then could barely run it:(

StranglingManiac

You raise a good point about exclusives. Thats why i am kind of sad that there are so few ipad exclusives. Developers on the app store feel they have to shoehorn every ipad game to the iphone nd make it compatible or change it thus making the potential worse. Its sad.

Garoth Moulinoski

Hmm... That's interesting to me. I'm a person who isn't all that giddy about Apple's stuff, yet still got an iPod just to play the exclusives that are on it. I never felt compelled the iPad at all. Ever. Even though I want to try out Oceanhorn which is stated to be an iPad exclusive, it's not enough for me to justify buying an iPad.

I did get an Android tablet (an Asus Transformer 101, which has been great barring some hardware problems that have recently surfaced for more people than just me) and I've enjoyed it- but not for any of the games. I generally use it for Perfect Viewer and Comixology. Sometimes for a quick search on Google or e-mails. Its screen dimensions also seemed more compatible to comic book reading than an iPad's, but the same could be said for a variety of other 10.1" Android tablets. Its open nature has also allowed me to use backup files in it, versus the alternative (which would have been conforming to whatever Comixology has regardless of whether I already own a back copy or not). As for games, there is barely anything I'd want to play on an Android tablet that I couldn't play on an Android phone; but since a lot of what I want to play is also out for iOS and I already own an iPod Touch, you can see where that'll go. (I have an Android phone through my job, but I have next to no apps on there except for anything I've had to do testing on)

I don't understand tablet gaming, though. Holding my tablet around to read is barely comfortable and I'm actually far more paranoid about the durability of my tablet than of any of my smaller mobile devices. On top of that, it lacks the extra portability that the small ones have, which means I couldn't play in certain places. So, to me, it's like a console that has lost its identity and doesn't know where it wants to be. It doesn't help that both Android and iOS tablets contain just about the same content as their small counterparts do (no exclusivity). I might understand 7" tablets being a little more portable, but that's still a giant device to be taking with you.

I may have held a different opinion, however, if I was still a jobless student who could take his stuff to school. (When I got my tablet, I wasn't jobless but I was also on my last semester)

And HOLEE McDickensons! I didn't expect myself to write such a giant wall of text. If anything sounds weird, strange, mildly missing words every step of the way, I apologize. I wrote this in that time period where my brain is going "Hey, it's almost lunchtime!" and "C'mon, why isn't it lunchtime yet?!" (it means instead of working, I did this)
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

Didn't the Prime have some small issues as well?  I'm not actually familiar with the TF101, honestly.  I just got a tablet fairly recently myself, it's a TF300.  It's nice, although I'm a little annoyed that they're already talking Tegra 4 now.  I'm also jealous of the screens on my parents' Nook HD+, it's 1920x1280, which is crazy impressive for a device of that size and price.

Garoth Moulinoski

Yeah, the Prime had some sort of metal casing that affected the GPS and WiFi capabilities, iirc. I haven't heard any problems about the TF300, though.

How much did it cost you, btw? I might look into buying a replacement for my tablet... But I am in penny pinching mode for the whole year. :/
Who will quote me next?