Sony has confirmed the PS2 is no longer being manufactured after 2012.

Started by DankPanties, January 07, 2013, 10:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DankPanties

It might come as a surprise to know that the PS2 was being manufactured all the way into 2012.  But as of January 2013, the PS2 is no longer being manufactured.  That means somewhere out there on a retail shelf, lies the final PS2 to roll off an assembly line. 

The company has confirmed to the Guardian that after 12 years and 150m units sold worldwide, making it the most successful home games machine of all time, all PS2 production has ended worldwide.

Here's the full scoop:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/04/playstation-2-manufacture-ends-years

It's kind of a bittersweet feeling for me.

Garoth Moulinoski

"All good things must come to an end."

But yeah, this has been floating around now for a week or so, I think.

I haven't used my PS2 in a long time... :/ I still have Super Robot Wars Z to finish. Final Fantasy X and XII are also in the back burner for it. I might eventually also play through the Dragon Quest V translation. But ugh, no time and lately, all I've been has been reading comics and playing Guild Wars 2 with my sister (and well, going to work).
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

QuoteBut yeah, this has been floating around now for a week or so, I think.

Every article I've seen about this sources back to the Guardian article which is only three days old.  If you saw it somewhere else before hand, let me know, because it must be a good place for news.

Garoth Moulinoski

...Man, time is going by pretty slowly*... :P Maybe I exaggerated, I really don't remember when or where I read the news. I usually check engadget, slashdot, and kotaku (for comic relief). Occasionally I vist arsTechnica. Truth be told, though, I don't think I go the most reliable places for gaming news (but it's not like I actually care too much aside from noting trends and reactions).

*Because 3 days has felt like a week to me </explaining joke>
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

LostTemplar

[...], making it the most successful home games machine of all time, [...][/i]

And deservedly so. It's still my favorite console. Just a few days ago I installed Free McBoot and Open PS2 Player onto one of my memory cards so I could play via network and no longer strain my slim PS2's optical drive. Although it's sad that the compatibility of this approach is not up to par with say, the Wii stuff that lets you play from USB.

SargeSmash

Quote from: LostTemplar on January 07, 2013, 11:12:23 AM
And deservedly so. It's still my favorite console. Just a few days ago I installed Free McBoot and Open PS2 Player onto one of my memory cards so I could play via network and no longer strain my slim PS2's optical drive. Although it's sad that the compatibility of this approach is not up to par with say, the Wii stuff that lets you play from USB.
I had been doing the old Independence exploit until this was mentioned here, and it's nice not having to have a trigger disc.  And yeah, compatibility isn't 100%, but it's really, really good if you can run a Phat with a HDD.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Starscream

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on January 07, 2013, 10:47:07 AM
...Man, time is going by pretty slowly*... :P Maybe I exaggerated, I really don't remember when or where I read the news. I usually check engadget, slashdot, and kotaku (for comic relief).[/size]

I've read it via: hg101 board -> joystiq->kotaku > sourcing it to Famitsu (which I can't read). Dated December, 28.

LostTemplar

Quote from: SargeSmash on January 07, 2013, 11:20:50 AM
I had been doing the old Independence exploit until this was mentioned here, and it's nice not having to have a trigger disc.  And yeah, compatibility isn't 100%, but it's really, really good if you can run a Phat with a HDD.

Yeah, I'm considering doing that instead - it's just that my fat PS2 is noisy as hell. But it's only been a few days; I'll take some more time to evaluate just how many games work or don't work via network loading.

DankPanties

Kotaku does have some decent news at times... but the noise to signal ratio is just too high for me to put up with.

And the PS2 is definitely one of my all time favorite home consoles, hell... aside form the SNES it might just be my favorite home console ever.

Bregalad

I agree it is one of the best consoles, but I still think the PS1 was even better in this regard. Pehaps it's just because I'm so much a FF7-8-9 fanboy though.

The fat PS2 is noisy but I actually like this noise... brings back great memories of playing great games. I could say the same for the noise the PS1 makes when it seeks on the disk... priceless. It sucks emus can't simulate those noises.

SargeSmash

I've got to hand the crown to the PS2 over the PSX, but they've both got some great stuff.  But you can tell that the PS2 generation was the one in which devs had gotten better at adjusting to the new 3D paradigm, and had the horsepower to make things happen.  Even a lot of the generic platformers on the system were perfectly playable.  Not that you'd necessarily want to, when you've got stuff like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and the like.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

I think we can all agree the Dreamcast was the noisiest console ever.

Quote from: SargeSmash on January 07, 2013, 12:50:25 PMBut you can tell that the PS2 generation was the one in which devs had gotten better at adjusting to the new 3D paradigm, and had the horsepower to make things happen.

Exactly.  Many great ideas were seeded on the PS1 but perfected on the PS2.  So IMO the PS2 just barely nudges the PS1 out of place because of its refinement qualities.

SargeSmash

Quote from: DankPanties on January 07, 2013, 01:03:09 PM
I think we can all agree the Dreamcast was the noisiest console ever.
Just wait until you get a 360.  It makes the Dreamcast seem whisper-quiet.  The drives in the original models were more like jet engines, and it's not great now, either.

DankPanties

Well I'll just build a special acoustic foam cabinet to put it in.

Oh, wait, RROD.

Um... noise cancelling headphones it is then.   :-\

SargeSmash

Just get one with a big hard drive in it, and install the games.  The disc will spin down, and it's pretty quiet loading from the hard drive.  More recent games like Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 will keep spinning for a bit until they get everything loaded in RAM, then will stop and access everything from the HDD.  Most games, however, will load everything from the installed image.  Definitely the best addition Microsoft could have made, not to mention the only thing that makes The Last Remnant into something playable.

Speaking of TLR, I tried to get back into it, but ran into a brick wall at Koenigsdorf.  For everything the game does right, there's something it does wrong, and honestly, the only real appeal to me is the battle system, and it's hard to keep going just on that.  (I'm apparently also a bit farther from the end than I was in Vesperia, unbeknownst to me at the time.)

DankPanties

Note to self:  When I get a 360, get a gargantuous HDD for it, check.

MathUser2929

About a week back it was reported that PS2 would cease production in Japan. But just recently it was confirmed that would be worlwide. The Famitsu article was probably about the ceasing of production in Japan.

SargeSmash

KingMike

Quote from: MathUser2929 on January 07, 2013, 02:48:34 PM
But just recently it was confirmed that would be worlwide.
Good luck trying to find a new one in a store in a North America the past year or so.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DankPanties

I bought a brand new PS2 Slim off Amazon last month.  As long as you make sure what you're buying says "Fulfilled By Amazon" you won't get ripped off, as it comes from Amazon's own warehouses:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000TLU67W/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Granted, you will have to bleed for a legitimately brand new PS2 from a reputable seller.  Money well spent IMO though.  And at least if you buy from Amazon themselves you get free shipping.