Spoiler
[close]
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: BRPXQZME on December 30, 2012, 11:28:32 PM
You sure it wouldn't be aloe? ;P
Spoiler
[close]

Well, if it only does everything, then it should do good on that promise, eh?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

granz

Quote from: DankPanties on December 30, 2012, 11:14:48 PM
Anyway Granz if I had a PS3 fall in my lap the first thing I'd buy would be Demon's Souls and stat.

I'm thinking about it. I normally don't go for Atlus games, but it's looking inevitable on this platform.

If I do grab Dark Souls, it will be only to kick ass on multiplayer. I borrowed a friend's copy and already started a character. He looks like a reincarnated anorectic with a severe vitamin D deficiency. I made him specialize in buffs and high dexterity.

By the way, the PS3 model I have is the new "Super Slim." I don't know much about it, but I think it retails for $200. The only thing that bugs me is the disc loading tray. I mean, it's an actual tray as opposed to one of those slot loaders. It doesn't look very durable...
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

DankPanties

Quote from: granz on December 31, 2012, 06:32:41 PMhe only thing that bugs me is the disc loading tray. I mean, it's an actual tray as opposed to one of those slot loaders. It doesn't look very durable...

I'm sure when I buy a PS3 it will be the Slim version.  Honestly there's only about a dozen exclusives I care to play on the platform; as long as the console lasts long enough to finish those I'd be okay.

granz

If you have an extra $200 to shell out for a new console, maybe you should consider getting a Super Slim. It looks like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have come down a lot. My friend got his copy of Dark Souls for just $10.

The Super Slim I have was bundled with Uncharted 1 and 2 and inFAMOUS 1 and 2. (plus all the bonus / downloadable content that has been released for the games) The hard drive is 250 GB. Seems like it was a pretty good deal overall.

If you do end up getting one, I can think of a few games off the top of my head that might also be down your alley: (and I'm not sure if you've played any of these already on your PC)

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition
Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
Little Big Planet - Game of the Year Edition

The GotY editions have all the expansion packs bundled with them, and occasionally other bonus content. (like DLC stuff) Considering that even the GotY editions are super cheap, it's a pretty good value. I found most of these for under or around $10.

Some of the games on PSN / PlayStation Store are pretty good too. I've been playing a lot of Crystal Defenders, which is a tower defense game based on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

BRPXQZME

One should avoid the console versions of Bethesda sandbox games, if at all possible. The few mods worth seeing are very worth seeing, plus you tend to get better performance and the benefits of unofficial bug fixes.

granz

I remember a friend telling me a while back that her copy of Fallout 3 (on PS3) was crashing every 30 - 40 minutes, and often before she could save all of her progress. This was possibly a year or more ago. Surely Bethesda has patched game-breaking bugs like that by now.

Next Gen Cowboy

Fallout 3 was bad, it's been mostly fixed over the years, but sometimes you just get unlucky with a particular save file. It hasn't been patched on the PS3 since Broken Steel DLC was released if memory serves.

New Vegas on the other hand had major issues, some still persist. As said above, be very wary of the games, I bought New Vegas the night it came out, and it was probably 2 days before I could actually play it without it crashing on a regular basis. Even after the last update, there's still some game breaking bugs to be found. one of them I mentioned in another thread around here a long time ago was being locked out of the actual city of New Vegas itself, which kind of kills the enjoyment of the game.

I'd do some heavy research on Dragon Age II before buying, because odds are, you're not going to enjoy it. Do try Mass Effect though, first one 15 bucks on the playstation network, not a bad deal at all.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

DankPanties

I'll say the PC version of Fallout 3 was great, quite stable for me, I enjoyed that one.  Although that was in 2008, so it's been a while.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: granz on January 02, 2013, 03:10:20 PMIt looks like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have come down a lot. My friend got his copy of Dark Souls for just $10.

._. Where.

On that note. I had planned to play Demon's Souls this past week off, but ended up just playing a whole lot of Guild Wars 2 with my sister and reading Fist of the North Star/ Hajime no Ippo. :S
Who will quote me next?

granz

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on January 02, 2013, 04:21:41 PM
._. Where.

On that note. I had planned to play Demon's Souls this past week off, but ended up just playing a whole lot of Guild Wars 2 with my sister and reading Fist of the North Star/ Hajime no Ippo. :S

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls

This reflects their prices at this very moment, but it's not too uncommon to see them for around $10 on eBay (sorted by Buy-it-Now) or Half.com

I'm not sure what GameStop would charge.

Garoth Moulinoski

I'd normally go to a Gamestop (I have one close by, so I don't have the problem some people here have with them... at least as far as distance is concerned; ethics, however) but I may just grab it off Amazon. So much for a gaming New Year's Resolution.

(BTW, Thank you, granz)
Who will quote me next?

BRPXQZME

Everything I've heard about DAII is that it's likely going to be hit or miss for you, and for most people it was a miss.

Quote from: granz on January 02, 2013, 03:22:56 PM
Surely Bethesda has patched game-breaking bugs like that by now.
That one's right up there with "what could possibly go wrong" and "it can't get any worse" :laugh:

granz

I'm slowly building a collection, mostly via bargain bins and whatever steals I might find on eBay. I haven't paid retail for a game in over a decade at least. I'm patient enough to wait for those price drops. That, and I usually prefer Greatest Hits / re-release versions for any extra content they might have.

My finds so far:

- Lair complete for $3. It looks like it was panned by critics for its awkward controls, but it turns out it was later patched to include (an optional) new control scheme that makes it ten times more playable. I like it so far. (that is, with the patch) I wish the game world were more open though. It's strictly a chapter-by-chapter playthrough of various missions.

- Oblivion: GotY GH complete for $15.

- Fallout 3: GotY GH complete for $15. I noticed this and Oblivion for slightly less in the past, but I'm sure those were for incomplete and / or non-GotY copies. Considering the condition of the copies I found, $15 each seems like a good deal.

- Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection complete for $10. (already Platinum'd this one!)

- Final Fantasy XIII GH complete for $13. I'm holding off on FFXIII-2 in hopes it might be re-released later with all the DLC stuff packed in. (or with redemption codes)

Next Gen Cowboy

I personally think it's highly unlikely that XIII-2 is going to get re-release with the DLC packed in. It is worth waiting to see if you enjoy XIII though, chances are if you like XIII, you'll find the sequel a way better, and more fun game (which it is).

If you can find God of War cheap it's worth taking a look at, they're not high art, but they're fun games, with some stunning graphics, if a bit juvenile. If you enjoy survival Horror Dead Space 1 and 2 can be found for $25 for both, and if you get the second game's redemption code you get the rail shooter DS: Extraction, which is a very cool game.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Gideon Zhi

Pretty much all of 13-2's DLC is skippable, fwiw. The vast majority of it consists of arena battles and alternate costumes. There's only a few bits with actual story to them, and even those aren't really necessary.

granz

I think Square later commented that Lightning Returns wouldn't feature any DLC at all, perhaps because the idea of adding DLC to a Final Fantasy game didn't go so well the first time.

I don't mind paying for DLC content, assuming it's super cheap or something. It's more of a need to have that "complete" feeling.

Quote from: Next gen CowboyGod of War

Is this somewhat similar to Devil May Cry? I tried to play DMC but couldn't get into it.

MegaManJuno

Quote from: granz on January 04, 2013, 12:17:16 PM
Is this somewhat similar to Devil May Cry? I tried to play DMC but couldn't get into it.

The PS2 Rygar would probably be a better comparison, from what I recall of my short play of DMC.

SargeSmash

They're both decent comparisons, although the chains in God of War feel more like Rygar.  Structurally, it's very much like DMC.  And I love me some DMC, excepting the second entry.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Mew seeker

If you want to learn Japanese, consider Okami HD (Japanese).
From what I have seen, the Japanese version apparently have furigana (subtitles for kanjis).
You could hardly get any better.