News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

New to PS3; looking for some games to try

Started by granz, December 26, 2012, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MegaManJuno

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on December 26, 2012, 11:23:35 PM
I'm also enjoying Knytt Underground immensely.

Heh, guess that's what I get for not checking PSN in a while... I'll have to try that out since I enjoyed the PC Knytt titles.

tc

Quote from: granz on December 27, 2012, 02:27:29 AM
Goodie! Now if only I could find some imports at reasonable prices...

This might be a strange question, but do you know if NTSC-U PS3s have support for Japanese encoding? Actually, it may not even be relevant. I was just thinking about an issue in which NTSC-U GameCubes didn't display information on Japanese game saves correctly because the system had only a Latin character set. Some GC games actually used the system's internal fonts / encoding as well, which in this case produces garbage data in the actual game instead of Japanese text. Nintendo Puzzle Collection comes to mind.

That's pretty normal. Modchips and boot discs for most consoles do not change the system region. They force games to run under conditions their developers may or may not have intended.
Only NTSC Gamecube has a region switch mod comparable to consoles like Sega Genesis. NTSC-U / NTSC-J select was an intentional feature of development GCs they merely disconnected in retail units.
(PAL GC removed Japanese mode and the region jumpers, in favor of a user-accessible language menu. You can't AFAIK get affected Japanese games to display text correctly on any PAL system.)

As for memory cards... GC is weird. It sets format based on the console's region. When save files are created by Japanese games on a non-Japanese system, they're in the console's own format and may only be read by non-Japanese systems. The reverse effect would happen for Japan.

NTSC-U Star Fox Adventures loads Japanese text on a Japanese system (I believe the other way for NTSC-J discs)
http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=15330

NTSC-J F-Zero FX loads an glitched incomplete prototype of its English localization on non-Japanese systems.
http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=15328

granz

Well that's interesting. I thought maybe the GC just didn't include Japanese encoding outside of Japan. I use a swap disc to load imports and boot files from an SD loader. I didn't notice anything in the boot configuration about regional options though. Maybe I overlooked a setting that can switch it to the proper encoding.

--------

On the subject of PS3 again, I'm confused about this gamer tag stuff, trophies, online play, etc. This is the first time I've owned a newer console like this. I earned a few trophies in Uncharted, but I'm not sure what they do exactly. Does this stuff just display on my PlayStation Network account for bragging rights? Do I unlock anything by earning them?

Maybe someone can break it all down for me.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

MegaManJuno

Quote from: granz on December 27, 2012, 04:04:23 PM
Does this stuff just display on my PlayStation Network account for bragging rights?

This.

KaioShin

Yeah achievements/trophies are just for bragging rights and completionists. Since you mentioned in another thread that you have a hard time not 100%ing a game you'll probably hate them. Few developers put a lot of care into them so a ton of game have utter bullshit achievements of the "Kill 1000 X" or "Collect 500 useless badges" variety.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

tc

Quote from: granz on December 27, 2012, 04:04:23 PM
Well that's interesting. I thought maybe the GC just didn't include Japanese encoding outside of Japan. I use a swap disc to load imports and boot files from an SD loader. I didn't notice anything in the boot configuration about regional options though. Maybe I overlooked a setting that can switch it to the proper encoding.

I think we would've heard about it, if software access to that setting was found.
Presumably the BIOS checks hardware jumper states. Saving costs for Nintendo over having to print different menu OS chips for each NTSC region.

BRPXQZME

All the easy achievements/trophies are a pat on the head for people new to the game/genre/games in general. Nobody in real life will look at "survived level 1" and go "wow you're amazing at this" but the game will, and that can be all it takes to get a new player to stick around for more than 30 seconds. And that's why Microsoft and Sony have them in there. Psychology.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

syuviel

MisterJones

Bragging rights and progress tracking. Like, you want to know if the other fucker did really beat X game? check their trophies. Otherwise he surely watched a Let's Play.  :crazy:
_-|-_

MegaManJuno

Quote from: geishaboy on December 28, 2012, 08:19:47 AM
Oh wow, really? What's the fucking point?

Why have an ending on a game? Isn't beating it enough? What's the fucking point?

... or for that matter...

Why play games at all? It's a waste of time, isn't it? What's the fucking point?

:P

----

Seriously though, I like being able to go back and see what progress I made. With around 30 years of gaming under my belt, there are definitely times I have trouble remembering if I did certain things on certain games. With the advent of achievements, it makes it easier to figure out in a lot of cases.  ;)

Sure, for the completionists out there, it gives them something else to collect. Unless the game really hooks me well enough, at some point I stop caring about getting the optional ones, but it leaves something for me to come back and try for, if I ever want to revisit the game.

Gideon Zhi

It should be stated that there *are* a few games that have in-game rewards tied to achievements, but the only ones I can think of offhand are Mass Effect and Bayonetta.

MisterJones

There is also Starcraft 2 in the form of portraits, but honestly, it is acytually hard to see them unless you are specifically looking at their profiles (or during a melee match loading screen - but if you are mostly an arcade player, well...).
_-|-_

Next Gen Cowboy

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on December 28, 2012, 10:52:49 AM
It should be stated that there *are* a few games that have in-game rewards tied to achievements, but the only ones I can think of offhand are Mass Effect and Bayonetta.

Final Fantasy XIII, and XIII-2 give you themes for your system.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Gideon Zhi

I meant actual in-game rewards. In ME2, for instance, the Long Service Medal achievement (beat it twice, or once with an ME1 import) grants 25% bonus EXP.

MegaManJuno

WoW does this, to some extent. While the points gained through achievements have no value outside of "bragging rights"... Some do reward in-game titles, mounts, and pets.

geishaboy

Quote from: MegaManJuno on December 28, 2012, 09:29:10 AM
Seriously though, I like being able to go back and see what progress I made. With around 30 years of gaming under my belt, there are definitely times I have trouble remembering if I did certain things on certain games. With the advent of achievements, it makes it easier to figure out in a lot of cases.  ;)

Oh, OK. That makes a whole lot more sense.

granz

I've unlocked 50% of the trophies in one game so far. It's kind of interesting to see them on my profile... thing. I feel like I've accomplished something as opposed to merely wasting time. Maybe I'll strive for lots of platinum trophies and show all my friends what a lifeless loser winner I am. :happy:
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

thr

welcome to the world of meta-gaming. ^^ in a way, achievements are like quests in RPGs, only quests are for your in-game characters, while achievements are for the player to complete.

DankPanties

I'm all for beating a game for the feeling of victory, but trying to collect every arbitrary yippee reward along the way takes it too far.  I can't help but equate the more achievements a gamer collects as being a measuring stick of how much of an actual life they don't have.  I'll leave it at that because damned if I'm arguing with you guys about this stupid shit.

Anyway Granz if I had a PS3 fall in my lap the first thing I'd buy would be Demon's Souls and stat.