News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

New to PS3; looking for some games to try

Started by granz, December 26, 2012, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granz

A (very generous) friend of mine bought me a PS3 for Christmas. I'm a little surprised that anyone would spend that much on me, but I'm not complaining. :)

Anyway, this is a pretty new console to me. I've been searching online for genres of games that I might want to hunt down and play, but it looks like the PS3's library is mostly sports, shooters and action-adventure games in the mind of Assassin's Creed and Uncharted. The PS3 came with Uncharted, and I actually do enjoy it so far. From what I've seen of Assassin's Creed, though, I don't think it would be down my alley.

I'm hoping to find some titles more along the lines of a create-your-own-adventure sandbox, like Little Big Planet. It would be nice if there were something similar to the RPG Maker series as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I suppose PSN games are also fine. I may get around to setting up an account on there.

I've already created a list of titles that might interest me, based on what info I could find on GameFAQs. They are as follows: Sonic 4, (which I think is on PSN?) Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy XIII, Dark Souls / Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, (I'm a sucker for classic compilations) Tomb Raider Trilogy, Fallout, The Orange Box (just for Portal)

Dark Souls is a maybe. I don't like anything Atlus-localized, and I've probably already been over that enough times in numerous other discussions. If I do get around to playing it, I'll likely import the Japanese version as it has no association with Atlus.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Bonesy

Skip any Bethesda title on PS3, they tend to be buggy as heck. Same with Fallout. Skip FF13. Maybe get No More Heroes 1 if you haven't already played it on wii?

DarknessSavior

Depends on what you're looking for. 3D Dot Game Heroes is great for an old throwback to Zelda. Skyrim is amazing no matter where you get it. Dead Rising 2 is a great game. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions is the best SM game I've played in a long time. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is fun if you're into FotNS or Dynasty Warriors. There's two Way of the Samurai games on the PS3 if you were into that series. There's also a Monster Hunter game on there as well (but only in Japanese).

What's your beef with Atlus? I ask because that's one of the companies I may apply to work for in the near future.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

KaioShin

Metal Gear Solid 4. If you played the other 3 games. The story doesn't have the right impact unless as the conclusion to the big saga.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

granz

Quote from: KaioShin on December 26, 2012, 06:33:04 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4. If you played the other 3 games. The story doesn't have the right impact unless as the conclusion to the big saga.

I haven't played any MGS games yet. I've been meaning to look into doing so. I may want to hold off on the later games until I get the backstory first.

Quote from: DarknessSavior on December 26, 2012, 05:53:42 PM
What's your beef with Atlus? I ask because that's one of the companies I may apply to work for in the near future.

It's just their English localization department that bugs me. I have no issues with Atlus Japan, or should I say, Atlus as a general developer.

I didn't want the thread to fork off into another discussion about this, but bear in mind that no amount of debating the subject will affect my views anyway.

The problem is that they tend to change too many things when localizing a game for English-speaking audiences. Compare different versions of Magna Carta for PS2. It's a gutted shell of what it originally was. Secondly, (and most importantly) their translation accuracy and grammar are extremely questionable. Every game script I've examined by hand is a complete mess, and yes, this includes their flagship series like Persona. Dark Souls is no exception from what I've seen so far. I can't even get through the intro without several glaring problems. From Software never should have outsourced the translation to Atlus. I wouldn't mind playing the Japanese version, on the other hand. Assuming the price comes down, I'll just import it.

Now, this is just my subjective preference on the matter, and I tend to be more OCD about this stuff than most people. No one need not concern themselves with it since it doesn't affect them.

DarknessSavior

Actually, I somewhat agree with you. But in my case, it's based on their translation choices in the Persona stuff. I was really looking forward to playing the remake of the original Persona game on the PSP in English when it came out. But after a while, I noticed stuff like the Japanese word for whip (muchi) being left as-is for some of the equipment. Stuff like that is rampant in most of their newer translations, and I don't know why.

I hope if I wind up working there that I won't be forced to do the same. It would bug the hell out of me.

~DS

Gideon Zhi

You may want to look into Folklore; it's basically an actiony SMT with a super-heavy Celtic bent. The Atelier games are Atelier games, if you're into that, and I personally really enjoyed Trinity Souls of Zill O'll. I'm also enjoying Knytt Underground immensely. Those are all exclusives. The PS3 also has an exclusive import shmup: Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!.

For non-exclusives? Nier, Deus Ex, El Shaddai, Singularity, Just Cause 2, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Red Faction Guerrilla, and Saints Row 3 are the ones I can recommend highest.

granz

Does PS3 support imports without modding? I was reading somewhere that it does, but then I noticed an eBay import auction that claimed the game is compatible only with NTSC-J consoles.

Quote from: DarknessSavior on December 26, 2012, 07:17:32 PM
Actually, I somewhat agree with you. But in my case, it's based on their translation choices in the Persona stuff. I was really looking forward to playing the remake of the original Persona game on the PSP in English when it came out. But after a while, I noticed stuff like the Japanese word for whip (muchi) being left as-is for some of the equipment. Stuff like that is rampant in most of their newer translations, and I don't know why.

I don't really mind little inaccuracies here and there, (and I probably can't produce the most accurate translations, neither) but their grammatical choices get me the most. For instance, sometimes a script will read like a Wikipedia article that was written by multiple authors each bearing their own dialect - one paragraph is in U.S. English, then suddenly the next is riddled with terminology and orthography you'd see only in U.K. English or Europe abroad. In this case, a character will speak in entirely different dialects on the whim of whoever is translating or editing the script, as if it were a Wiki effort. ::)

geishaboy

Quote from: DarknessSavior on December 26, 2012, 05:53:42 PMWhat's your beef with Atlus? I ask because that's one of the companies I may apply to work for in the near future.

I thought you wanted to live in Japan? I'm pretty sure Atlus' localization branch is in California.

SargeSmash

Ack, you beat me to it, Gid.  I was going to recommend Folklore just now.

Also, it's multiplatform, but Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is good stuff.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

BRPXQZME

Quote from: geishaboy on December 27, 2012, 01:00:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Atlus' localization branch is in California.
Yes, and they don't even hire outside the local area.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: granz on December 27, 2012, 12:58:17 AM
Does PS3 support imports without modding? I was reading somewhere that it does, but then I noticed an eBay import auction that claimed the game is compatible only with NTSC-J consoles.

As far as I know, the only exception is Persona 4 Arena; the rest of the PS3 library is region free. I can personally attest to having run 2nd SRW OG, Gundam Extreme Vs, Another Century's Episode R, and the Asia-region version of Aquanaut's Holiday with the mangled English script on my US-region PS3.

And I suppose I should mention that Mamoru-kun isn't technically an exclusive, but the PS3 got the upgraded hidef widescreen version and I can't verify that the 360 version is region free. It's inspired by Pocky & Rocky/Kikikaikai, so the widescreen is helpful.

DarknessSavior

Quote from: geishaboy on December 27, 2012, 01:00:54 AM
I thought you wanted to live in Japan? I'm pretty sure Atlus' localization branch is in California.
I plan on doing JET for a while, and maybe seeing if I can find a translation job in Japan after that. But right now the overall plan is move to California and find a translation job there. Square Enix, Atlus, Capcom, and other companies have their US branches there.

~DS

granz

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on December 27, 2012, 02:03:52 AM
As far as I know

Goodie! Now if only I could find some imports at reasonable prices...

This might be a strange question, but do you know if NTSC-U PS3s have support for Japanese encoding? Actually, it may not even be relevant. I was just thinking about an issue in which NTSC-U GameCubes didn't display information on Japanese game saves correctly because the system had only a Latin character set. Some GC games actually used the system's internal fonts / encoding as well, which in this case produces garbage data in the actual game instead of Japanese text. Nintendo Puzzle Collection comes to mind.

geishaboy

Quote from: DarknessSavior on December 27, 2012, 02:05:09 AM
I plan on doing JET for a while, and maybe seeing if I can find a translation job in Japan after that. But right now the overall plan is move to California and find a translation job there. Square Enix, Atlus, Capcom, and other companies have their US branches there.

~DS

Oh, well best of luck I guess. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

BRPXQZME

Gideon Zhi

Quote from: granz on December 27, 2012, 02:27:29 AM
This might be a strange question, but do you know if NTSC-U PS3s have support for Japanese encoding?

They display it fine. In fact, when a Japanese game calls up system functions (for title updates, for instance) it frequently calls up the Japanese version of the functions. And frequently, the accept/cancel button configuration is mapped to the Japanese standard in these instead of the American, which makes for an interesting experiment. Which ones are YOU going to press automatically assuming they'll do what you want them to, hmmmm?

LostTemplar

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on December 27, 2012, 03:15:26 AM
They display it fine. In fact, when a Japanese game calls up system functions (for title updates, for instance) it frequently calls up the Japanese version of the functions. And frequently, the accept/cancel button configuration is mapped to the Japanese standard in these instead of the American, which makes for an interesting experiment. Which ones are YOU going to press automatically assuming they'll do what you want them to, hmmmm?

Yeah, I have it just the other way around (Japanese PS3 with mostly Japanese games - for the record, all US/EUR games I have just work fine). Why have they been swapping the buttons since back in the day anyway?

BRPXQZME

In Asia, X very strongly means "no" in a lot of situations (except when it's a 〆, I guess?). According to the guy who designed it, he had to be insistent on the colors (X is blue, O is red). In America, the red O seems a bit more conspicuous as a negative connotation, probably from school where wrong answers are often marked in red ink and a circle would mean a zero (in Asia, of course, doing certain things in red ink is going to give someone the heebie jeebies...). Never heard an official explanation for it, though.

And then everyone else probably just got stuck with the American choice.

Bonesy

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on December 27, 2012, 03:15:26 AM

the japanese ones because I play too gosh darned many super robot wars games? fun fact: metal gear acid 1 and probably 2 use the inherent japanese mapping in the us version.

back on-topic, did Nier come out on tripple? Get Nier.