Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement

Started by Bisqwit, December 19, 2012, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: Ok Impala! on June 20, 2022, 03:39:58 PM
Some other thing I don't understand. The clock in the inventory screen seems to go way too fast. I played for about an hour, but now it says I played for four hours.  :huh:

this is tracking the in-game time, not your play time. what you're interpreting as hours is actually the number of in-game days which have passed - which ending you get is determined by how many in-game days it takes to finish the game.

• in-game time is shown in DD:HH:MM format (where DD is in-game days, HH is in-game hours, MM is in-game minutes)
  • in-game time starts at 00:12:00 (noon on the first day)
  • day is from 06:00 to 17:59, and night from 18:00 to 05:59
  • in-game time does not pass while in a building/mansion or in the menu
  • in-game time passes at a rate of 4 minutes for every 1 second of real time while outside and not in a menu (at least in the NTSC version, not sure if different on PAL)

BlackPaladin

I'm curious about something.  (This might sound strange coming from me.)  Would you consider using any material from the FDS version of the game?  (Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin)  Stuff like uncensored graphics, music from the FDS ROM, etc.  (Or even considering working with the FDS ROM itself?)

Thank you for your time and keep up the good work!

Ok Impala!

Quote from: odditude on June 21, 2022, 03:54:05 PM
this is tracking the in-game time, not your play time. what you're interpreting as hours is actually the number of in-game days which have passed - which ending you get is determined by how many in-game days it takes to finish the game.

• in-game time is shown in DD:HH:MM format (where DD is in-game days, HH is in-game hours, MM is in-game minutes)
  • in-game time starts at 00:12:00 (noon on the first day)
  • day is from 06:00 to 17:59, and night from 18:00 to 05:59
  • in-game time does not pass while in a building/mansion or in the menu
  • in-game time passes at a rate of 4 minutes for every 1 second of real time while outside and not in a menu (at least in the NTSC version, not sure if different on PAL)

Thanks! This explains it very clearly!  :)

Bisqwit

Quote from: BlackPaladin on June 21, 2022, 05:31:14 PMI'm curious about something.  (This might sound strange coming from me.)  Would you consider using any material from the FDS version of the game?  (Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin)  Stuff like uncensored graphics, music from the FDS ROM, etc.  (Or even considering working with the FDS ROM itself?)

Thank you for your time and keep up the good work!

Yes, I am open to the idea. However, the only differences I am aware of between the NES and FDS versions are:
— The title screen
— The save/load screen
— Disk access pause screens
— Music
— Toast ending (and 69 days easter egg)

I already do the toast ending. I don't do the 69 days easter egg.

Music is a problem, because the two games operate on (slightly) different hardware. The NES simply does not have the extra sound channel that FDS provides. Other than that, the music on the FDS is more minimal likely for space-saving reasons. I don't know if the music engine is different or not.

The title screen is a good candidate, although I am not sure how much work it would involve.

Are there other changes? You mentioned uncensored graphics.

Quote from: Ok Impala! on June 20, 2022, 03:39:58 PMI encountered a bug in version 2.12.1 . When saving on the inventory screen using select the game will crash in Mesen. It will give an error message saying the game has crashed and throw you back to the title screen. After that the intro story scene is completely messed up. Also, when you start the game without a savefile and chose "load game" the game will reset and when you start the game after that, the graphics in the first town are messed up.

Thank you for the report. I will investigate this problem.

CyberTaco

Hello! I love this project; thank you for all of your hard work! I have two questions, if you'd be so kind:

1: I'm using an original MMC1 rom. If I pick a different mapper on the patch "vending machine", does it actually change the rom to use that mapper, or does the original rom have to use that mapper in the first place?

2: When I start a new game, press Start to bring up the subscreen, then press Select, the game either locks up or jumps to the title screen. Is this a known issue? (Starting a new game might not be necessary, I just haven't gotten any farther yet.)

If it helps any, I'm using the following -
Rom: Castlevania II - Simon's Quest (U) [!].nes , CRC is A9C2C503
Emulator: FCEUX 2.6.4 Win32 version
IPS Patcher: Floating IPS v1.31
Patch options: I've tried both MMC1 and MMC4, with all other options left at defaults. ( cv2eng-2_12_2-ntsc-stm10mwfmFruSp0-ips & cv2eng-2_12_2-ntsc-stm1mwfmFruSp0-ips )

InAnotherCastle

Amazing that this project is still receiving attention and updates going on 10 years. Coincidentally I just found a SKROM board in a drawer that could use some trace repairs and a new pair of ROMs ;-)

InAnotherCastle

Quote from: Bisqwit on June 24, 2022, 03:46:56 PMYes, I am open to the idea. However, the only differences I am aware of between the NES and FDS versions are:
— The title screen
— The save/load screen
— Disk access pause screens
— Music
— Toast ending (and 69 days easter egg)

I already do the toast ending. I don't do the 69 days easter egg.

Music is a problem, because the two games operate on (slightly) different hardware. The NES simply does not have the extra sound channel that FDS provides. Other than that, the music on the FDS is more minimal likely for space-saving reasons. I don't know if the music engine is different or not.

The title screen is a good candidate, although I am not sure how much work it would involve.

Are there other changes? You mentioned uncensored graphics.

Thank you for the report. I will investigate this problem.

I can confirm this on the latest release. Emulator or EverDrive and real NES. Using MMC1 version. Crash when loading without save and also when trying to save.