News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Someone needs to make this Castlevania game.  (Read 6219 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Someone needs to make this Castlevania game.
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »
Am I the only one that would like another 8-bit style Castlevania?

With two official 8-bit styled Megaman games and one soon-to-be-official indie game, I'm left wondering how come Konami hasn't tried the same with Castlevania. My first instinct would be to want a new Castlevania 3 style game, but then I thought... since both games are direct sequels, why not combine Castlevania 1 and 2 into one game with even more content?

Bear with me here.

Imagine you boot the game and you start Castlevania 1 normally. You can ideally go through the game as usual, beat it and not be any wiser (such as initially not knowing about the inverted castle in SotN). But in the first stage is where the secret lies.

Remember how Dracula's castle in Castlevania 2 matched the castle entrance in Castlevania 1? Now imagine that you are able to uncover that altar room the same way you do in Castlevania 2 (holy water) and through there is where you trigger more stages or maybe an alternative route that uses  the level design from the MSX Castlevania.

Full image here

But wait, there's more!

Now that you know about the altar room from CV2 is there, how about the rest of Transylvania? Remember Castlevania's intro? Why not turn left at the entrance outside the castle, head towards that gate and walk to the  still active town of Ghulash...

Full image here

..and buy something for the item screen you didn't know you had by secretly pressing Start and then Select?

Now, at this point you'll have to beat Castlevania 1 to trigger the curse and be able to enjoy the rest of Transylvania. With a fixed Castlevania 2, having proper hints, a more logical-connected  map design and new areas.

But alas, it will only be a dream. Unless TOM steals this idea. Which in this case, he has all my support.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:51:41 pm by reyvgm »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Someone needs to make this Castlevania game.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »
This mix between CV1 and CV2 would be pretty amazing.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »
Having only played the first two Castlevanias, this seems like a badass idea to me. :thumbsup:

By the way, off-topic here, but whoever wrote that article here:

Remember how Dracula's castle in Castlevania 2 matched the castle entrance in Castlevania 1?

made two mistakes:

1. Haunted Castle did not hit arcades before Castlevania reached the NES
2. Vampire Killer does not play on Haunted Castle
And I'll leave it at that!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34:56 pm »
The Castlevania: Harmony of Despair DLC with the Castlevania 1 map is probably as close as Konami will get.

As for fanmade stuff, I hear Dracula's Shadow (a freeware remake of CV2) is quite nice.

And of course there's Simon's Quest Redacted.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:47 am »

made two mistakes:

1. Haunted Castle did not hit arcades before Castlevania reached the NES
2. Vampire Killer does not play on Haunted Castle

He probably meant Castlevania 2 and Bloody Tears.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
I'd like to see Castlevania 1 and 2 both get the Metroidvania treatment.  In fact, I like the idea of having them both be in the same game.  The game could start with Simon already being cursed, and having to go through Simon's Quest.  When he reaches the castle though, instead of merely ressurecting Dracula, the entire castle comes alive and Simon must then get though and beat Dracula.  Actually no wait, they made that.  It's called Order of Ecclesia.  Then again, it would be cool to have it revolve around Simon, and perhaps have a new item gimmick that's more simplistic yet versatile.  I was thinking crystals combined with sub weapons.  Most of the crystals would be needed to advance, but they would combine with different sub weapons in the same way the Spellbooks worked in Harmony of Dissonance.

Then again we are getting into indie game territory, and without Konami's backing, the person might as well just write the C&D letter themselves.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
The idea of this sort of a remake of CV2 has been tossed around many times on many boards, my own design for a remake of CV2 that I wrote up years ago included an expanded Castle. There have been some really good ideas throughout this thread. Let's hope some of them get used in some kick-ass fan games. I think with the release of Street Fighter X Capcom it's been proved that the fan communities can make quality games at least as good as the copyright owners.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:07:06 am »
Is there a way to combine two roms together that way you have the core programming of both? Man I wish I had the hacking/programmming skills to pull this one off!

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 05:03:09 am »
I think with the release of Street Fighter X Capcom it's been proved that the fan communities can make quality games at least as good as the copyright owners.
That's certainly been proven, but not by that particular game. I've yet to play it, but I've heard there's lots of un-Mega-Man-ish stuff about it. (BTW, you mean Street Fighter X Mega Man.)

Is there a way to combine two roms together that way you have the core programming of both? Man I wish I had the hacking/programmming skills to pull this one off!
Umm... no... not really. I mean, technically it could be done (because technically virtually anything can be done so long as your game stays within the machine's capabilities) but it would involve so much reverse engineering that it would be much simpler to just code your own game from scratch. The only exception would be if other people have already completely disassembled one or preferably both games for you. Then it becomes a lot more feasible, but you still can't mix and match random bits of code. You would need a lot of tweaking and glue to make it work together, and you might still be better off using the original codebase for one of the games and just making up your own code that imitates the other game.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:04 am »
(BTW, you mean Street Fighter X Mega Man.)
lol, nope. They use the Japanese style title graphic so no space between.

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:22 am »
This is true, but you had written "Street Fighter X Capcom" earlier. ;)
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:41 pm »
I did? lol. Guess I'm a bit passive aggressive. Hoping the World Warriors would beat up Capcom on behalf of their little brother.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:52 pm »
Then again we are getting into indie game territory, and without Konami's backing, the person might as well just write the C&D letter themselves.
I gesture again towards the aforementioned Dracula's Shadow.
http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f2994.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyNXwCVVA0
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!