It seems Valve is going to release a "Steam Box" after all...

Started by DankPanties, December 10, 2012, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargeSmash

The bundles aren't helping.  I usually buy them for one or two of the games, but get five or six.  I'm not complaining, though!  I just wish some of the games were smaller...  there's only so much room on the HDD.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Talbain

Quote from: Snatcher on December 12, 2012, 03:57:39 PM
I have several games a bought that I may never play. lol
Yeah, so do I.  Don't really care though, I consider them an effulgent distraction if I ever have time to get around to playing them.  I mean, I bought the THQ bundle for Saint's Row The Third, but will likely play Darksiders at some point (I might play the others at some point in history...).  Already getting way more than my money's worth, so no complaints.

BRPXQZME

Quote from: SargeSmash on December 12, 2012, 04:24:57 PM
The bundles aren't helping.  I usually buy them for one or two of the games, but get five or six.  I'm not complaining, though!  I just wish some of the games were smaller...  there's only so much room on the HDD.
For me, that's just motivation to get through them and shove them into a "done" category. Because I'll need that disk space eventually, right?
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

DankPanties

I don't remember what thread it was in, but I saw Sarge was interested in Gothic.  I just wanted to point out this:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/gothic

You can get it, and its sequels, on GOG for very low prices.  Offline portable installation executable, DRM free, no online patches needed, no sign-ins required, all as it should be.

Jorpho

I think IndieGala has Gothic II in some kind of bundle at the moment, but I can't seem to find it right now.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zoinkity

It is, in fact, a pain in the tookus to get Steam into offline mode.  Do it wrong and the bugger will crash or just simply not enter offline mode.

For instance, you'll find a lot of these threads around:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486912

Having a hardcopy is rather useful, mostly because:
a) it can't be physically taken from you (except by warrant)
b) can be buggered to work no matter what idiotic lockout might be embedded at some point
c) because poking said code is one of the things this forum is about ;*)

In a world where iOS likes being able to lock out perfectly compatible programs because they use an older version ID, where games are requiring periodic online CD checks just to continue running, where help files for when you run into an issue with your game are only accessible through the game itself, where programs are getting device-locked to the first device it's installed on with no option or a tedious method of transfering to another, sorry if I'm getting a little paranoid myself.

As a point of interest, one of the changes between TweakUI in the win9x days and XP days was 'paranoia settings' was relabeled 'security settings'.

DankPanties

This is why I like GOG, it's the best of both worlds.  You download your game as a standalone executable.  The game afterwards requires no sign in, no DRM, and no online anything at all to install and run.  You can then archive the installation executable to whatever medium you see fit for future use.  And should you lose the file, you simply download it once again from your online GOG library whenever you wish.  GOG is the superior distribution service IMO.

Jorpho

The great advantage to the Steam client is that your games are all downloaded, installed, and launched from the same interface.  While GOG does have a convenient Library page, once you've downloaded a game's installer you might never look at it again.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

DankPanties

Why do I need an interface to tell me what games I already have installed and "ready to play"?  I should remember on my own what games I've bought and downloaded, let alone installed on my machine.  IMO the Steam client is designed to entice the end user to fill its library with as many shiny baubles as possible.  It's a mind trick, and a damned lucrative one I must say.  I'm just too old school or self sufficient to see it as practical.

kingofcrusher

I too love GOG, those guys have the right idea. Give people a bit of trust and respect, charge a fair price, and the majority of people will respect you in turn and not pirate your software. The people who do pirate it are the people who would pirate it anyway, but it pushes guys like me who would normally just pirate all PC stuff (because I HATE drm and how obnoxious/intrusive it is) into feeling bad about it and wanting to purchase it legit. It's weird, if there's obnoxious DRM then it just pisses me off and I'll pirate as a "fuck you" to the publisher, but with GOG I'd feel like I was actually stealing something.

GOG is the only online service I buy anything from; I have quite a few games and I could have easily pirated them all, but instead I spend the $5-$10 a pop and got them legit. I imagine there are tons of people like me out there too who respond to a company not treating their user-base like 100% thieves and scoundrels, but instead having some respect and trust in them.

DankPanties

At last someone else on this forum gets it.  I commend you sir.   :police:

Jorpho

Quote from: DankPanties on December 14, 2012, 09:41:15 AMI should remember on my own what games I've bought and downloaded, let alone installed on my machine.
Yes, "should".

But I know I for one have several years' worth of really cool stuff tossing around on my hard drive (much of it even perfectly legitimate) that I can hardly be arsed to organize properly, much less sit back and enjoy properly.

I "should" hold off on buying or downloading anything new until I've dealt with the stuff I already have.  And that includes my unseemly stacks of console games.

Kyrael Seraphine

Steam works because it's a categorizer, a store, inbuilt networking, social and patching platform all in one. I'm not much of a social player, but there's something  to be said about logging in and seeing someone playing Torchlight 2, and thinking "Hey, that actually sounds fun right now." And being able to jump right into the game from there. (Ease of jumping depends on the game, of course.)

It's also the best of a bad world. Yes, there can be DRM. No, it's not mandatory. Steamworks is hardly even the worst offender. I like it for the integration, and the fact that to have access to all of my PC games, I have a single thing on my task bar to click. Rather than having to either a: dig through many terabytes of hdd space or b: spend hours setting up shortcuts to every game I have installed. And I have-- according to Steam alone and not anything not affiliated with it--  193 games installed.

It's the PC equivalent of a console, I suppose. I don't have to faff about with setting things up, watching for patches, either cracking the game or finding the disc, trying to organise multiplayer with friends. It's all kind of there. GOG is great, yeah, but Steam is hardly bad. Also, I like me some AA and AAA games, and GOG doesn't really get involved with those.

For someone that likes to game in a bubble, most of that is pointless, sure. I don't, though. Even if I'm playing a single player game, I enjoy having access to things like the steam overlay. I've got a massive case of gamer ADHD, I'll freely admit.

DankPanties

Quote from: Kyrael Seraphine on December 15, 2012, 01:22:20 AM193 games installed/ I've got a massive case of gamer ADHD

See I think having all those games simultaneously installed and in a big list with "ready to play" next to all of them... that encourages gamer ADHD.  Especially when you see via social links what other people are playing, which makes you feel like trying those games instead of finishing the one you're already playing.

Anyway, I'm not saying either approach is necessarily better or worse.  All I'm saying is that the way I approach gaming, the Steam experience isn't very compatible with my ideals.  If it works well for you guys, than enjoy it.  I'll just stay in my offline bubble and happily finish the fewer games I play.

kingofcrusher

Quote from: DankPanties on December 14, 2012, 08:51:55 PM
At last someone else on this forum gets it.  I commend you sir.   :police:

Yeah I'm really glad they've managed to survive, and even thrive. I also absolutely love them for trying to spread the DRM-free policy into full releases like they did with Witcher 2. They've proven that you can build a viable software distribution business without DRM, and I'd love to see that eventually spread out to other services and major releases. Probably won't ever happen, but I have massive respect for them for trying to pave the way.

Also, I think it was actually you who turned me on to GOG way back when they started out. I love that they're so awesome that people go around talking about them out of genuine love of the service, it's nice to see a company that actually cares about its customers inspire that sort of evangelizing, ha. Reminds me of how I felt about Sega back in 1988-2001 (back when they were actually Sega).

DankPanties

Indeed GOG is the shit, I've been an early supporter since their inception, and I still buy stuff from them today.  They are continuously adding new releases as well, and I mean brand new 2012 era games, not just re-releases of old stuff.  Here's a few I will pick up soon:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_dark_eye_chains_of_satinav

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_book_of_unwritten_tales

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/inquisitor

Everything you said about the service I agree with.   :thumbsup: :beer:

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: DankPanties on December 18, 2012, 02:49:55 PM
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_dark_eye_chains_of_satinav

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_book_of_unwritten_tales

Grr... These look good... I'm going to have to get a GoG account to get this and Splinter Cell, aren't I. ...*sigh* Maybe I'll end up gaming on my computer more... *shrug*
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

Garoth Moulinoski

I halfway wish I hadn't gotten another laptop and just precipitated my plan to build a gaming PC. Could've set it up on my TV and all that. Ugh. But then, I'd still need my computer proper to at least work on stuff.

Darn you to Tartarus, AMD and ATI!! I have a friend at work who's looking stuff up for me, but it seems like Sony has made looking my old computer up rather difficult...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

By the way, I missed mentioning it before (and it was on such a great sale, too!), but Alan Wake was there for the taking at GOG the other day at $7.50.  Great deal, and ironically, actually better than the physical release because it requires Steam to activate.  I don't have a total aversion to Steam, but tying a physical retail release to it?  No sir.  I'm not down with that at all.

Anyway, I picked AW up for the extra DLC, 'cause I already own the 360 version.  And I figured, if I'm going to be out roughly the same amount of money, might as well get a DRM-free copy of the whole game for PC, instead of blowing that money on XBL and having it only tied to my account.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36