It seems Valve is going to release a "Steam Box" after all...

Started by DankPanties, December 10, 2012, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talbain

Quote from: Zoinkity on December 10, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
For as many problems as Nintendo has, it did do a few things right:
1) if you have an internet connection you don't pay an extra charge for multiplayer
2) no plans to do online disk checks

As someone who usually doesn't have internet at home, both are somewhat important.  It's the biggest reason I don't use Steam; I don't want to be locked out of my own games.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to stick in a game and be able to play it.
Assuming my laptop even had a CD drive, I might sardonically agree, but honestly whether it's Steam or a console, you're still in just as proprietary a zone as you ever were.  Complaining about Steam and having to be online is silly (which you only have to be to download the game, since Ubisoft rescinded their DRM there aren't any Steam games I know of that require an online connection to work once they're installed).  Just because you have a physical copy of the game doesn't really give you any rights to it, real or imagined.  This really should be put to the back of your mind, since short of Microsoft releasing their source code, no one aside from the game creators are going to have real access to any of these games, ever.

Then again, the idea of ownership is mostly just a convenient ruse by bankers to take your money, but that's a different complaint.

shadowmanwkp

Quote from: Talbain on December 12, 2012, 05:45:08 AM
Complaining about Steam and having to be online is silly (which you only have to be to download the game, since Ubisoft rescinded their DRM there aren't any Steam games I know of that require an online connection to work once they're installed.

Sniper: ghost warrior has it. It's a very bad game, but the DRM is even worse. You have to be connected 24/7 to the net while playing the game (in single player no less), even though it has to be activated through steam. IIRC you also need to have the disc in as well.

I once lost loads of progress when my internet connection crapped out and I was kicked our of the game.

DankPanties

Being online is very important to Steam games in one way...  not just for DRM, but for the constant patches and updates PC games need so much.  And not all Steam games offer offline mode unfortunately.  That being said, Steam has come a long way from what it was in 2004 when I first screwed around with it.  I'm starting to get to where I don't hate it outright, okay?

December 12, 2012, 08:35:56 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: Jorpho on December 11, 2012, 10:58:14 PMBut then, have they really necessarily done all that much?

Okay, sure, let's see...

Valve invented the Half-Life franchise, one of the best selling and critically lauded FPS/adventure hybrids in PC history.

Valve put out Counter-Strike, possibly the number one most played multiplayer game in the entire world to this day.
Not to mention the Team Fortress series, which are also insanely popular multiplayer games.

Valve released Portal, another ridiculously popular meme-spawning game that sold extremely well and was critically lauded to the moon.

Valve released the Left 4 Dead games, yet again, massively popular multiplayer games that have sold extremely well and received high reviews.

And of course Valve invented the Steam distribution channel which to this day is reworking the way the entire games industry operates.

So yeah, Valve has done a few things here and there.

KaioShin

You forgot the infinite money printing machine that is TF2 hats.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DankPanties

How could I forgot the hats?  Possibly the most important thing Valve ever invented!   :banghead:

Also, in no way am I a Valve fanboy, I don't want to come off that way.  The only thing I've played by them that I really loved was Half-Life.  Now don't ask me how burned I feel about Half-Life 2: Episode 2's cliffhanger ending that we still have no resolution to years later.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: DankPanties on December 12, 2012, 08:22:09 AM
Counter-Strike

Whoa. I haven't heard that in ages. I kinda just hear people talking about Call of Duty or Battleground.

Quote from: DankPanties on December 12, 2012, 08:42:55 AM
How could I forgot the hats?  Possibly the most important thing Valve ever invented!   :banghead:

Quote from: DankPanties on December 12, 2012, 08:42:55 AM:banghead:

My sentiments exactly. But people pay for they want, and if they wanna pay for hats, well... I'll only judge them a little bit. :P
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on December 12, 2012, 09:06:33 AMWhoa. I haven't heard that in ages. I kinda just hear people talking about Call of Duty or Battleground.

Nah people still fervently play CS, as a matter of fact a brand new version of CS came out this year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive

Garoth Moulinoski

Ho. Interesting. I guess I am looking in the wrong places. I never played CS, so maybe I'll take the chance to do so now that I have Steam.
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

If you've never played CS you probably don't want to start now.  There are thousands and thousands of people on those servers who've been playing the game for over a decade.  You will have zero chance and you will not have a good time.

Garoth Moulinoski

How does a newcomer get into the game now, then? That sounds like it could get dangerous for the franchise... Maybe that's why I don't hear about it anymore?
Who will quote me next?

KaioShin

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on December 12, 2012, 09:28:00 AM
How does a newcomer get into the game now, then?

Peer pressure. All your friends are playing CS, so they'll want you to join too. That's how I bought most multiplayer games. It makes little sense to buy a game that is 100% multiplayer if you don't already have people in mind to play them with. THough I know there are gamers like that out there *shrugs*
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DankPanties

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on December 12, 2012, 09:28:00 AMMaybe that's why I don't hear about it anymore?

Possibly this.  The user base for CS is likely set in stone by now and not really growing anymore.  But it's large enough to remain lucrative for new releases.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: KaioShin on December 12, 2012, 09:31:10 AM
Peer pressure. All your friends are playing CS, so they'll want you to join too. That's how I bought most multiplayer games. It makes little sense to buy a game that is 100% multiplayer if you don't already have people in mind to play them with. THough I know there are gamers like that out there *shrugs*

Ah, yeah. That makes sense. I only got WoW and Mario Kart to play with friends. Same with other games. If CS is multiplayer only, though, and it costs money, then I'll probably live my life never playing CS. *shrug*
Who will quote me next?

Jorpho

Quote from: DankPanties on December 12, 2012, 08:22:09 AMOkay, sure, let's see... [snip]
Exactly, they've released five wildly-successful games.  They are wildly popular, to be sure, but still, there's only five of them (and some sequels), and they've been around for a long, long time.  (And technically they weren't responsible for Counter-Strike and Team Fortress in the beginning.)

Then again, I suppose Blizzard hasn't done that much either by that reckoning.  But yet again, Blizzard isn't technically as much an independent entity as Valve is.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

DankPanties

Five wildly popular gaming franchises and a huge media distribution service is pretty impressive to me.  *shrug*

MegaManJuno

Don't forget the Source engine itself in that list of Valve's accomplishments, and all the games built on it.

Talbain

Quote from: KaioShin on December 12, 2012, 08:38:14 AM
You forgot the infinite money printing machine that is TF2 hats.
No worse than any other promotion for online items.  Blizzard's in-game vanity items are ten to thirty times more expensive.  Though they aren't the only group carefully gouging prices, EA and every other large corporate entity has done so as well.  So yes, Valve is a large corporate entity and they act like one.  Despite this, they still provide a service considerably better than just about any other for playing games online, or even on the PC generally.  I think there's also the fact that people conveniently forget that the only way to get service for the 360 is to pay for it online, the PS3 is similar, and the Nintendo eShop is a pay-as-you-go service.  The alternatives to Gabe's little slice are pretty bleak (aside from GoG.com, which isn't direct competition anyway).  Origin is awful, and the few other services that exist pretty much all attempt to mimic Steam.

DankPanties

You guys probably already know I'm a huge GOG fan, and have given them lots of my monies.  But that's a different thread entirely.

SargeSmash

Speaking of GOG, they're giving away Duke Nukem 3D over there.  :)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Snatcher

Quote from: Jorpho on December 11, 2012, 10:58:14 PM
I maintain that if people weren't literally paying them money for nothing they would have been bought out long ago.  (By that I mean that only a tiny fraction of the games that people pay them money for probably ever get installed, much less played.)

So true, it's hard to resist some to steam's sales they have. I have several games a bought that I may never play. lol
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi