It seems Valve is going to release a "Steam Box" after all...

Started by DankPanties, December 10, 2012, 03:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DankPanties

Quote from: DankPanties on May 02, 2012, 09:44:08 AMDon't be surprised to see a "Steam Box" from Valve.  Basically a computer in a console package, with Linux as the OS, that runs games streamed from Steam.  Just remember who told you first.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/142896-valve-confirms-steam-box-coming-in-2013-says-it-will-compete-with-next-gen-consoles

QuoteSpeaking to Kotaku at the 2012 Video Game Awards this weekend, Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve is working on a living room-friendly PC that runs Steam. Newell says that reception for Steam's new, TV-oriented Big Picture mode has been "stronger than expected," and the company will now work to get Steam for Linux out of beta.  Beyond that, Gaben only gave us one other tidbit about the Steam Box, stating that "our hardware will be a very controlled environment." In other words, the Steam Box will be a console, rather than some kind of PC that you can upgrade.

Gabe never comes right out and says anything directly about his company's intentions.  However, all the evidence is there, especially if you go and read the original interview.  I refuse to link to Kotaku though, out of ethical restraint.

Do you guys think a Steam Box would put a hurting on the 720, PS4, or Wii U?  Or on the OUYA?  HA HA HA just kidding about the Ouya...

KaioShin

One can try the user interface of that box already, it's available in Steam since the latest update. As the quote says, it's called "Big Picture" mode. Hook up your PC to a TV and activate big picture mode and you basically have the user experience of that box right now. As for the hardware, I guess only people who aren't very knowledgable about PCs will buy them. Sure it'll be fixed hardware, but it'll still be just a PC. The only added bonus for users is that Valve can certify games to be compatible with the hardware and store configuration settings for games that are adjusted for the Steam box in the OS. So those users don't have to worry about settings or drivers. Anyone who doesn't need handholding will be far better off with a normal PC.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DankPanties

I was hoping Valve would strike a deal with a hardware manufacturer to offer a Steam Console that is a cheaper solution than building your own gaming PC.

I used to hate Steam but I have mixed feelings about it now.  I don't think Valve are bad guys, honestly.  I just don't like the idea of being unable to play a downloaded game offline without having to log onto Steam first.  On a fundamental level that bothers me.  However, if Valve can shake up the console industry and make Microsoft, Sony, and especially Nintendo break out of their old molds and start sweating... well, usually in situations like that the end user reaps the benefit.

Nightcrawler

I think what might be better for the industry and consumers would be if Valve got Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to implement Steam support into their upcoming consoles, rather than create a fourth option only just for these abilities.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DankPanties

Hmm, yes... a fourth pillar.  Good point.  Remember what happened last time there was a fourth pillar?  PS2, Game Cube, Xbox, and Dreamcast?  Yeah, SEGA got deadified.  Who knows... maybe history will repeat itself and _____ will be no more!

Starscream

The DC was practically already dead when the Gamecube and X-Box arrived though.

DankPanties

Personally I am convinced the final straw was Xbox stepping up to the scene.  I thought it was really telling when Peter Moore left SEGA for Microsoft.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: DankPanties on December 10, 2012, 03:35:44 PM
I was hoping Valve would strike a deal with a hardware manufacturer to offer a Steam Console that is a cheaper solution than building your own gaming PC.

I kinda got hopeful precisely because of this. I've been toying with the idea, but I'm lazy and I don't have a lot of room at home (but I can have an extra "console-sized" tower for gaming, as long as I can keep it in a horizontal position). Learning that it could come up at around $600... Oh well...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Zoinkity

For as many problems as Nintendo has, it did do a few things right:
1) if you have an internet connection you don't pay an extra charge for multiplayer
2) no plans to do online disk checks

As someone who usually doesn't have internet at home, both are somewhat important.  It's the biggest reason I don't use Steam; I don't want to be locked out of my own games.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to stick in a game and be able to play it.

jka12002

Now is a good time for SEGA to cozy up with Valve, this could be thier shot at making a comeback in the console wars.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: jka12002 on December 10, 2012, 10:27:20 PM
Now is a good time for SEGA to cozy up with Valve, this could be thier shot at making a comeback in the console wars.

...I don't see how...?
Who will quote me next?

jka12002

Quote from: Garoth Moulinoski on December 10, 2012, 10:29:29 PM
...I don't see how...?

One is (or should i say was) good at consoles, the other are good at developing games and hardware. The two of them working together would be epic, and SEGA with Gabe's help they could end up making quality games again like they used to. I mean come on since they quit making consoles SEGA has been making half assed quality games.

BRPXQZME

The Sega we once knew is long gone. You cannot even pray for a return at this point. Any potential Sega comeback will not be a restoration, but something new entirely.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Jorpho

I can't quite see this as making much of a dent.  The core Steam audience is likely to have higher hardware demands than what an affordable "box" is likely going to be able to supply, and I don't think Steam as it is now is capable of broadening its userbase sufficiently to appeal to those who do not have such demands.  Of course, Steam could feasibly morph into something else entirely, but why would they do that when they already have such a hugely successful business model?

On the other hand, I think it would easily steal whatever remaining thunder the OUYA might have, and that in itself might make good business sense.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Nec5

Quote from: Zoinkity on December 10, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
For as many problems as Nintendo has, it did do a few things right:
1) if you have an internet connection you don't pay an extra charge for multiplayer
2) no plans to do online disk checks

As someone who usually doesn't have internet at home, both are somewhat important.  It's the biggest reason I don't use Steam; I don't want to be locked out of my own games.

Amen to that.
When Reason Fails

DankPanties

Quote from: Dankpanties on December 10, 2012, 03:29:29 PMI just don't like the idea of being unable to play a downloaded game offline without having to log onto Steam first.

Quote from: Zoinkity on December 10, 2012, 04:59:46 PMMaybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to stick in a game and be able to play it.

Quote from: Nec5 on December 11, 2012, 02:12:52 AMAmen to that.

Glad we all agree then.

Quote from: Jorpho on December 11, 2012, 12:18:04 AMI can't quite see this as making much of a dent.

Everything Valve's ever done has turned into mountains of gold for them... they don't just do things on a whim.  There must be a viable business strategy here or Valve wouldn't be doing it.

Garoth Moulinoski

Quote from: Jorpho on December 11, 2012, 12:18:04 AM
On the other hand, I think it would easily steal whatever remaining thunder the OUYA might have, and that in itself might make good business sense.

Yes, quite. What is this OUYA you speak of? It sounds like something I remember reading about, but I was too busy doing other things.

Quote from: Zoinkity on December 10, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
It's the biggest reason I don't use Steam; I don't want to be locked out of my own games.

I just got Steam (or got back to it because it looks like I already made an account and forgot all about it) and I've noticed this with the three games I got. At least I didn't pay too much for them, and I normally do have internet; but I can foresee travelling to, say, Japan, and not being able to play my games...
Who will quote me next?

MisterJones

As said countless times before, get  steam launcher should the occassion happen. Or set offline mode.
_-|-_

Jorpho

Quote from: DankPanties on December 11, 2012, 08:12:04 AMEverything Valve's ever done has turned into mountains of gold for them... they don't just do things on a whim.
But then, have they really necessarily done all that much?

I maintain that if people weren't literally paying them money for nothing they would have been bought out long ago.  (By that I mean that only a tiny fraction of the games that people pay them money for probably ever get installed, much less played.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BRPXQZME

But really you could say the same thing about Coca-Cola.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger