News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 186593 times)

pikahax

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 05:40:57 pm »
Good to see the font being changed but the the capital letters are one pixel higher than the lowercase letters making them "wavy" so to speak. Shouldn't be hard to fix.
The uppercase letters are where they should be, and the lowercase letters need to be moved up by one pixel to make it consistent.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 02:01:10 am »
Lugia, as a big fan of the Chinese version, I'm very excited about your progress to translate and improve this game further. Any chance you could do some map editing as well? I've mapped out many areas of the game attempting to reconstruct Kanto as it appears in this Famicom release, and some areas do not match their original GameBoy versions very well at all. One such area is Lavender Town.

Here's the map I've made of the area from Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo (right click view image to see it at full size)

and here's the FireRed/LeafGreen map where the Famicom borrows the tiles from.

Think you could edit the map to make Lavender Town match up to its original appearance?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 09:41:24 am »
Wait... Wouldn't keeping that map as it is be good for getting people to play this? If you make it too much like the Gameboy games, then this starts to lose its appeal. It isn't the same as FFVII NES where no matter what, it wouldn't be able to look like the PSX version. In this case, there's very little that the NES can do that the Gameboy couldn't do, aside from color and resolution.

Really, the maps' layouts shouldn't be changed except when the layout prevents the player from continuing.

But that's Lugia's decision in the end, so it's up to him.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:25 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:56:33 am by Chpexo »

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
I completely disagree. Some of the maps should be edited because they don't match up, and the goal here is to make the game as close to the original as possible so why NOT fix what's broken? Granted, I understand that level hacking takes a back seat to the actual translation, but if we're looking to make this good but flawed pirate into something truly special, why not fix the obvious things?

Take for example, Saffron and the route to it's right.

Another thing is the drab pallets int he towns themselves. Since this is Pokemon, city and town buildings should be color themed, which should require only minor changes to pallets unless that's going to interfere with the ground pallets.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »
Why must this game be exactly the same as yellow but in color? Would a colorization of yellow really be that interesting or would you rather play a new game that you haven't before which has references to the old game? Besides, the game isn't even officially yellow anyway. I heard the Japanese name of the ROM and it ain['t pokemon yellow so why does this hack have to be yellow?

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 02:37:47 pm »
Wait... Wouldn't keeping that map as it is be good for getting people to play this? If you make it too much like the Gameboy games, then this starts to lose its appeal. It isn't the same as FFVII NES where no matter what, it wouldn't be able to look like the PSX version. In this case, there's very little that the NES can do that the Gameboy couldn't do, aside from color and resolution.

Really, the maps' layouts shouldn't be changed except when the layout prevents the player from continuing.

But that's Lugia's decision in the end, so it's up to him.

I've got to agree with this sentiment; if you want to play the original Game Freak-created maps, there's a game on the Game Boy you can play that has them.  Best to let the unique elements and inaccuracies of this pirate shine for what they are, IMO.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »
I would have to agree, I think the only thing that really should be done to the maps is to maybe clean up the palettes in some areas. Like the green and tan computers in the Pokemon center for instance. And the buildings that are entirely green.

I started working on translating the actual script. Right now the game from the beginning up until Viridian forest is finished. Including the townspeople dialogue.

It's not word for word like the original game's script because I don't want to run out of space. So some sentences have been shortened, and words were changed so I could have as much space as possible for working on the dialogue.

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 07:23:35 pm »
Maybe you can expand the ROM up to 4080kb (31 7/8 Megabits/32640 Kilobits) of PRG-ROM, of course you may also have to modify the header for consistency.
Be sure you back up the ROM before doing so.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:55 pm »
Well, at the very least sections where the map is broken/doesn't make sense really ought to be fixed.

Such as the exit from east side of Saffron to route 8. The city's exit guard house is in the top right corner, whereas the route's guard house is in the bottom left. This does not make sense. One of the two exits should be changed to match up with the other.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:43 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:55:54 am by Chpexo »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:56 am »
Maybe you can expand the ROM up to 4080kb (31 7/8 Megabits/32640 Kilobits) of PRG-ROM, of course you may also have to modify the header for consistency.
Be sure you back up the ROM before doing so.

I'm don't really have much programming knowledge. I'm sure I could expand the rom, but I worry about emulators being compatible with it. And I wouldn't know how to make the extra space into dialogue banks.

Well, at the very least sections where the map is broken/doesn't make sense really ought to be fixed.

That shouldn't be much of a problem, but it'll have to wait until I finish the translation work, which will probably be a while.
But, if you want, I can show you how to edit maps. From what I see, the maps are put together the exact same way Final Fantasy VII's maps are put together.

I fixed the level grinding problem. To reach level 100, originally, you needed around 3.3 million EXP. Now you need only 1.25 million EXP to reach level 100.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:47:20 am by Lugia2009 »

Aerezoloh

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:11 am »
I fixed the level grinding problem. To reach level 100, originally, you needed around 3.3 million EXP. Now you need only 1.25 million EXP to reach level 100.

That sounds mighty good. Training the mons won't be such a pain to train, and fast-fowarding won't be needed nearly as much. Glad to see that this translation patch is going quite well since it started.

Also, it's interesting to find that Pokémon learn entirely different moves from the official Pokémon Yellow game, or any other game for that matter. It was surprising to find out that Wartortle was actually using Faint Attack the whole time, Slowbro knowing Poison Tail and Snorlax somehow knowing the ability to put enemies to sleep without Yawn in the form of Hypnosis.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:34:46 am by Aerezoloh »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
Also, it's interesting to find that Pokémon learn entirely different moves from the official Pokémon Yellow game, or any other game for that matter. It was surprising to I find out that Wartortle was actually using Faint Attack the whole time, Slowbro knowing Poison Tail and Snorlax somehow knowing the ability to put enemies to sleep without Yawn in the form of Hypnosis.

Sorry about that, there was a few moves that I needed to guess a little on what they could be. Some moves were not apparent at all. But I can fix them.

Aerezoloh

• View Profile
Re: Pokémon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2013, 09:22:27 pm »
Sorry about that, there was a few moves that I needed to guess a little on what they could be. Some moves were not apparent at all. But I can fix them.

Hypnosis works as it should, and Poison Tail works as it does as well, even poisoning the opponent, so those moves I used work as they should.

Also worth mentioning, in the HM menu, Surf and Fly are in the incorrect name slots, as shown here.

Cntr (Counter) turns out to be Curse, since it reduces half of Haunter's (not to mention the Gastly line) health and does damage to the opponent after each turn.

"Bulk Up" has a bit of chinese text in it when used, and as it turns out, this move doesn't appear to be Bulk Up at all, as instead of increasing Attack and Defense by one stage per use, it lowers the opponent's Attack by two stages.

Refresh should be renamed Recover, as having taught the TM that contains it to Slowbro, it recovers HP.

Calm Mind in here doesn't increase Special Attack and Special Defense by one Stage, instead increasing Attack and Speed by one stage, much like Dragon Dance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:25:30 pm by Aerezoloh »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
Here's some footage on the translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtUN5-T_crs

Yep, that guy just couldn't wait. I would really suggest waiting until this translation is complete. Unless you just wait until the battle msgs are complete and just not pay any attention to the story whatsoever. Not sure if that would be just as easy though. I never played pokemon.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:07 pm »
lso worth mentioning, in the HM menu, Surf and Fly are in the incorrect name slots, as shown here.

Ooops...I'll fix that.

Cntr (Counter) turns out to be Curse, since it reduces half of Haunter's (not to mention the Gastly line) health and does damage to the opponent after each turn.

I'll fix it.

"Bulk Up" has a bit of chinese text in it when used, and as it turns out, this move doesn't appear to be Bulk Up at all, as instead of increasing Attack and Defense by one stage per use, it lowers the opponent's Attack by two stages.

Okay, I'll see if I can find out what it is.

Calm Mind in here doesn't increase Special Attack and Special Defense by one Stage, instead increasing Attack and Speed by one stage, much like Dragon Dance.

Okay, I'll see if I can find out what it is.

Refresh should be renamed Recover, as having taught the TM that contains it to Slowbro, it recovers HP.

Okay, I can rename it.

I made a list of the moves in the game. I went through and compared the PP, Attack, and Accuracy stats to the list of moves in Pokemon Generation 1, 2, 3, and 4 to see what the attacks could be. Most all attacks are from Generations 1, 2, and 3. Only a few are from Gen 4.

These names are in order of appearance in rom:

Fire Type 00-07

Ember
Flame Wheel
Fire Punch
Flame Thrower
Sacred Fire
Fire Blast
Eruption
Will-O-Wisp

Water Type 08-12

Bubble
Water Gun
Water Pulse
Bubble Beam
Octazooka
Crab Hammer
Surf
Hydro Pump
Water Sprout
Clamp
Withdraw

Electric Type 13-1B

Thunder Shock
Shock Wave
Spark
Thunder Punch
Thunder Bolt
Zap Cannon
Volt Tackle
Thunder
Thunder Wave

Grass Type 1C-28

Absorb
Mega Drain
Magic Leaf
Vine Whip
Razor Leaf
Needle Arm
Seed Bomb
Solar Beam
Frenzy Plant
Grass Whistle
Sleep Powder
Spore
Stun Spore
(The PP amount for some of these needs to be fixed)

Ice Type 29-2F

Powder Snow
Icy Wind
Aurora Beam
Ice Punch
Ice Beam
Blizzard
Sheer Cold

Ground Type 30-37

Mud Slap
Mud Shot
Dig
Bone Club
Earth Quake
Bonemerang
Fissure
Sand Attack

Rock Type 38-3B

Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Ancient Power
Rock Slide

Bug Type 3C-42

Leech Life
Twin Needle
Silver Wind
Signal Beam
Mega Horn
Tail Grow
String Shot

Poison Type 43-4C

Poison Sting
Smog 44
Acid
Poison Tail 46
Poison Fang 47
Sludge
Sludge Bomb
Poison Gas 4A
Poison Powder 4B
Toxic 4C

Fighting Type 4D-5A

Low Kick
Rock Smash
Karate Chop
Double Kick
Revenge
Rolling Kick
Vital Throw
Seismic Toss
Brick Break
Sky Uppercut
Cross Chop
Dynamic Punch
Super Power
Focus Punch

Flying Type 5B-64

Peck
Gust
Air Cutter
Wing Attack
Aerial Ace
Fly
Drill Peck
Bounce
Aero Blast
Sky Attack

Psychic Type 65-71

Confusion
Psy Beam
Mist Ball
Psyshock
Zen Headbutt
Psychic
Dream Eater
Psycho Boost
Hypnosis
Rest 6E
Teleport
Calm Mind
Agility

Ghost Type 72-77

Lick
Astonish
Shadow Punch
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Confuse Ray

Dragon Type 78-7D

Twister
Dragon Rage
Dragon Breath
Dragon Claw
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Dance

Dark Type 7E-81

Knock Off
Faint Attack
Bite
Crunch

Steel Type 82-86

Metal Claw
Steel wing
Iron Tail
Meteor Mash
Iron Defense 86

Normal Type 87-AF

?????
Rapid Spin
Tackle
Scratch
Pound
Quick Attack
Pay Day
Fake out 8E
Cut
Swift
Stomp
Crush Claw
Hidden Power
Hyper Fang
Razor Wind
Double Edge
Hyper Beam
Self Destruct
Explosion
Guillotine
Horn Drill
Sing
Lovely Kiss
Supersonic
Sword Dance
Growl
Bulk UP
Defense Curl
Harden
Tail Whip
Charm
Smoke Screen
Flash
Double Team
Recover
?????
Roar
Whirlwind
?????
Curse
Strength

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
I fixed the surf and fly on the HM menu. And I fixed some of the move names. I also identified one of the ???? moves as "Splash".

And the game is translated up to Cerulean City. All of the city dialogue and gym dialogue is done. Now I'm working on the dialogue for the Nugget bridge area and Bill's house. Once I get done some more, I'll post a new update.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:38 pm »
Status?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:47 pm »
I haven't quit. Once I finish up a little more of Final Fantasy VII, I'll work on this some more.