News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 178213 times)

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2015, 01:54:39 pm »
Thanks guys!  ;D  I started fixing the attack names, it shouldn't be too long before I have them fixed.

Are you aware there are Nanjing Pokemon R/S/E for the NES? The first one is called Pokemon Silver (Kou Dai Bao Shi) while the second is called Pokemon Diamond II (I couldn't find the first part though). For the first one you can freeze the RAM address $77 to 0D during battle for a instant kill faint.

Yeah, I saw the Ruby Sapphire ports, they look pretty good, not as high quality as yellow, but still pretty good.  I found Diamond II, I found the other 2 parts as well along with Leaf Green parts 1, 2, and 3.

Technomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2015, 11:20:31 am »
Sorry if this was answered somewhere in the previous 12 pages but,
Do you plan on making this a 1:1 remake? meaning exactly as yellow was (besides graphics).

So far I see that pikachu doesn't follow behind you and computers don't seem to work.
Think I'd rather just play the original if it's just going to be a hacked together game that is almost the same but not quite.

The graphics are so good looking though. Rich and beautiful.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2015, 05:31:18 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:27:10 pm by Chpexo »

earthboundfan15

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2015, 10:12:54 am »
Gotta agree for a possible bug fix patch. While the games translation is great, the bugs the game originally contain do sorta ruin the feel for the game. As the effects don't always work and/or you can be permanently trapped in some areas (stuck at blaines gym).

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2015, 11:53:33 am »
I have one problem with this.

The protagonist's name in the POKéMON games is not Ash. Ash does not exist in the POKéMON games (outside of that US-only Puzzle N64 one)

The protagonist's name is Red.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Red_%28game%29

Is there any way that the protagonist's name can be corrected? Even as an optional patch?

Similarly, the rival's name is Blue.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Blue_%28game%29

Can this be fixed?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:29:55 pm by Chpexo »

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Nope. Two of the three options the player is given in Pokemon Yellow is "YELLOW" and "ASH". The game is loosely based off the anime so this understandable

It was shown that the protagonist is still named Red, as Generation II uses Yellow version's sprites for Red when you battle him at the end of the game. Similarly, when you battle Blue (he is a Gym leader in Generation II) he uses his sprite from Yellow Version.

Yellow Version is considered the canonical story according to Generation II, not the one from Red & Blue. Hence why when Red is battled in Generation II, he has a team which he could only have had through Yellow Version. This is consistent with how all future POKéMON games after Generation I & Generation II have considered the third game in the set within a Generation to be the canonical game.

Later games in the series, as well as the manga based upon the games that came out before the anime (and never stopped running; it is still running today) that was said by Satoshi Tajiri to be "the best portrayal of what he was trying to show" through the video games, call the protagonist of Generation I "Red" and the rival "Blue".

That clears up any confusion that may have been caused otherwise.

The characters in question have already been referenced plenty of times in later games, and their names are Red and Blue. Hence why the Bulbapedia article on the characters calls them, indeed, "Red" and "Blue".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:05:25 am by Tharthan »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2015, 10:32:57 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:30:58 pm by Chpexo »

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2015, 12:25:29 am »
@Chpexo

Fear not.

The colour names are a special case for Red and Blue, and also for the rival in the second set of games.

Whilst it is true that the manga has continued the trend of the colour names, the games have largely stopped doing so. In fact the first town in Generation III is "Littleroot Town" which the signboard says "cannot be shaded in any hue":

The Johto protagonists are Ethan and Kris/Lyra (depending upon whether you are playing Generation II, or their remakes within Generation IV) However, the rival is named "Silver", and
Spoiler:
is the son of Giovanni (confirmed in Generation IV in the special Celebi event cutscene after many years of fans suspecting as much, FireRed and LeafGreen hinting at it, and the manga having that being a part of its plot long beforehand)

The Hoenn protagonists are Brendan and May, and the rival is Wally (and also May or Brendan depending upon who the player chooses)

The Sinnoh protagonists are Lucas and Dawn, and the rival is Barry.

The Unova protagonists of POKéMON Black & White are Hilbert and Hilda, and the two rivals are Cheren (which means "black" in a Slavic language, but since it isn't in English... eh) and Bianca (which, yes, has the Italian for "white" in it. But again, it's not in English).

The Unova protagonists of POKéMON Black 2 & White 2 are Nate and Rosa, and the rival is Hugh (which is used here as a pun of "Hue").

The Kalos protagonists are Calem and Serena, and the rival is either Serena or Calem depending upon who the player chooses, along with some other characters who I don't really remember.

---

By the way, I guess the fact I care about what Red is called here or not had ought not to be surprising, as my avatar is of Red himself!

Also, if it makes you feel any better, "Red" and (much more commonly) "Blue" are used as pseudo-given names sometimes. My younger sister once had a teacher who was called "Blue", for instance, and I have heard "Red" used for similar purposes before.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:50:07 am by Tharthan »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2015, 01:13:58 am »
I thought the protagonist of Gold/Silver was "Gold" and in Crystal their names were Chris/Kris (because it's Crystal version).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2015, 03:50:53 am »
I thought the protagonist of Gold/Silver was "Gold" and in Crystal their names were Chris/Kris (because it's Crystal version).

Why did I not piece this together as a kid? My mind is blown.

Also, I was under the impression that the protagonist in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal was named Ethan.

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2015, 11:30:34 am »
Also, I was under the impression that the protagonist in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal was named Ethan.

He is.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2015, 02:10:00 pm »
On Blue, your protagonist's name is Blue, or Gary if you choose. Ash or Red isn't even an option. Which is nothing like the series or the later game.

So you could look at it this way. Since this game's kinda like a cross between Red, Blue, and Yellow, you could just look at the name's you can choose from for those games:

So since Ash and Jack is an available option more times than any other, it would make sense to choose one of them.  And since this game has Jesse and James from Team Rocket, which are characters from the show. You could say this game is more like the TV show, so between Jack and Ash, it would make more sense to choose Ash.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere in the previous 12 pages but,
Do you plan on making this a 1:1 remake? meaning exactly as yellow was (besides graphics).

So far I see that pikachu doesn't follow behind you and computers don't seem to work.
Think I'd rather just play the original if it's just going to be a hacked together game that is almost the same but not quite.

The graphics are so good looking though. Rich and beautiful.

Having Pikachu follow your character probably is possible, but that's not something I could do. I don't have that kind of programming knowledge.

Is there just going to be two patches? I was hoping there would be two patches, one with just the translation and another with the translation plus some bug and consistencies fixes.

I could have one with just the translation, but there's a few things that would have to remained changed, such as some of the graphics on the menus since I had to re-arrange things in the PPU to make room for the longer Pokemon names.

Gotta agree for a possible bug fix patch. While the games translation is great, the bugs the game originally contain do sorta ruin the feel for the game. As the effects don't always work and/or you can be permanently trapped in some areas (stuck at blaines gym).

I never ran into that problem for Blaine's gym, how did you get stuck?
There's some things I'm going to check out. I noticed some effects that don't work, such as when a Pokemon flinches or they're frozen. I'm gonna see what I can do about them, can't make any promises though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:33:36 pm by Lugia2009 »

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2015, 02:41:14 pm »
@Lugia2009

The thing is, later games in the series have chosen what is canonically true in terms of the names of those protagonists, and what they have decided is that the protagonist in Generation I is Red and the rival in Generation I is Blue.

earthboundfan15

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2015, 06:37:18 pm »
You might want to check out what is going on with the Effect sleep. For the most part it works,however  even if you're faster than the other pokemon and put them to sleep. They'll still attack you on the same turn. As for being stuck in Blaine Gym, I was uncertain what cause the bug but when I beat the last two scientist in the gym, I attempt to go back to buy some super potions. On my way out I'm surprised when the first door is closed. No matter what I do that door will not reopen

Leaving me trapped until I intentionally lost to Blaine to be taken back to the Poke Center, with my game saved state I attempted to find what caused the door closed until I found it was this computer that locked it. It only closes it, but doesn't reopen it.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2015, 07:58:20 pm »
Keep an escape rope handy.

SBolton123

• You are banished to the blagole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2015, 02:55:55 am »
Keep an escape rope handy.
Escape ropes don't actually exist in this remake, but using Fly is a similar thing to escaping (hence you can fly inside from buildings and caves). Otherwise if you never obtained Fly back in Celadon, then you're doomed.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2015, 04:00:02 pm »
You might want to check out what is going on with the Effect sleep. For the most part it works,however  even if you're faster than the other pokemon and put them to sleep. They'll still attack you on the same turn. As for being stuck in Blaine Gym, I was uncertain what cause the bug but when I beat the last two scientist in the gym, I attempt to go back to buy some super potions. On my way out I'm surprised when the first door is closed. No matter what I do that door will not reopen

Leaving me trapped until I intentionally lost to Blaine to be taken back to the Poke Center, with my game saved state I attempted to find what caused the door closed until I found it was this computer that locked it. It only closes it, but doesn't reopen it.

OK, I think I can fix that, it shouldn't be too hard.

I have some more progress on the move names. The move names that are too long for the dialogue boxes have been shortened using the Chinese text section. Now it's just a matter of redoing the move names and pointers for them. I'm off work tomorrow, so I should be able to finish that tomorrow.

September 21, 2015, 10:15:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
All done working on the move names!

September 23, 2015, 07:34:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@earthboundfan15

I found the solution for Blaine's gym.  It turns out you weren't trapped, the computer in the upper left opens the doors those two computers close. 

I went ahead and removed them, that'll give me 3 event pointers I can use later.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:40:45 pm by Lugia2009 »

earthboundfan15

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2015, 10:57:16 pm »
@Lugia2009
Oh it does? Heh my bad, I was not aware that the computer over their opened it. I feel foolish for making that mistake  :laugh:

SBolton123

• You are banished to the blagole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44:50 am »
Hey Lugia, have you implemented getting Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza in the game? (and Raichu without having to evolve Pikachu)

And another cool idea (up to you) but I was thinking for some of the gym leaders, they should have the Pokemon they used in the anime  (much like how you edited Brock's team and gave him Vulpix and Zubat). Examples of leaders having Pokemon on their teams like in the anime could include Blaine's Magmar, Koga's Golbat etc. :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:18:06 am by SBolton123 »