News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 178498 times)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2013, 03:36:30 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:24:22 am by Chpexo »

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »
Thanks. It worked very well. Time to test it all for y'all!
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2013, 04:24:38 pm »
JNES says 'Mapper #163 unsupported'
Why is this? I used Lunar IPS to patch it. Is that the problem?
I know you got it working, so for anyone else who encounters this with other emulators/flashcarts I'll explain as simply as possible.

Mappers are how data is divided on the cartridge.  They map hardware so the software can read it properly.  Crazy Chinese bootlegs used some custom mappers, and they're all huge and strange.  Not everything supports them, between a lack of clear info and how few titles use it.  So, if you get a mapper unsupported error*, it isn't because of the patch.

*unless somebody changed mappers on you and non-iNES headers got involved.  Even Nintendo uses the iNES standard ;*)

Chippy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2013, 04:28:23 pm »
OK. For all who cannot get it working just use FCEUX. It does it perfectly  :thumbsup:

The translation isn't complete. Found some Chinese jibberish in the Indigo Plateau against Lance. Can't print screen cus it crashes my PC (Breaking. can't use normal so Safe Mode w/networking is the only way) so can someone else check for me?

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2013, 01:41:44 am »
Good news!  Are you making notes of how the game's programming works, by any chance?

Also, some feedback.  I'm not a fan of how these look.

So is it possible to make the game, and all related screens, resemble the GameBoy ones?  I know the NES can barely do half the stuff the GBC can, but I'm certain many of those minimalist screen designs in Gen1 and Gen2 are well within the abilities of the NES.  This is probably programming related, but there is no easy way to make the levels cap at 100 as opposed to 99, right?

This is looking good, good luck on this!

Chippy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2013, 10:55:29 am »
I found Lugia in the first area after getting Pikachu T_T

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:02 pm »

*cough*
Nice! I really like it, I'll go ahead and make the changes.  I'm going to go through and change the looks of fonts in the other menus too.

I found Lugia in the first area after getting Pikachu T_T

Oops, I think that's from when I was working to catch each Pokemon.  I fixed it.

Are you making notes of how the game's programming works, by any chance?

I am, later on I'm going to get together everything and write a guide to hacking this game.

Also, some feedback.  I'm not a fan of how these look.

Really?  I like it, makes me feel like I'm playing this game on the N64.

I thought about the map and NPC graphics for this game, and they are lacking. I don't like how the GBA graphics on the NES look. The battle screen looks better, but the rest of the game looks pretty bad.

So I decided to go through the graphics on each map and redo them after I translate the game. I'm going to make the game match the Gameboy style more, I'm think it will really look much better and more like an official version of the game.

It shouldn't take too long since the graphics are already made. I just need to transfer them to this game.

And a bit more has been done, I finished Nugget bridge and found out how to set the trainers you encounter.  Apparently they're vision range and which NPC the trainer is, is located within the teleport tile settings.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2013, 02:03:37 pm »
Eh, to each his own, many visuals of the original game look unprofessional, like the battle area.  Maybe that could be reduced to a smaller 160x144 window so that the graphics don't look as spaced out, kinda like how the map is done.  I have no technical know-how, obviously, but I was thinking that instead of using abbreviations for the attack types, maybe you could spawn a sprite that represents the type?  Those colored blocks from Gen3 onwards would be perfect.

Just curious, but there be enough space to use DPCM samples for the Pokemon cries?  Considering there are 160 unique Pokemon and the original RBY game had some interesting cry algorithm, it might be unwise to do so.

MrFaust

• Noob Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2014, 04:40:07 am »
I am really impressed with this project. I downloaded the patch and played quite a bit. How far is this game from being completed?
I feel asleep

Chippy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:12 am »
I was pretty happy about seeing lugia there but wth I don't really care. Just don't like how it aeroblasted my pikachu XD

DarkKobold

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
There hasn't been an update on this project in a while, and Lugia2009 hasn't logged in for months. Is this still active?

Cralex

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »
I hope so. For an unlicensed game, this is really quite a novelty, especially considering they crammed it onto the NES. Sure, you can always play Pokemon Yellow on the gameboy, but I'm looking forward to a completed patch for this game someday.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »
Hi all!  :) I appologize for the long absence. Things have been very busy, between hours at work picking up and  redecorating at home. But my hours are back down, so I'll have more free time.

I have been working on this game some more and up to the S.S. Anne is finished being translated.

DeliciousMilkTea

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2014, 01:32:30 pm »
Downloading the current patch now and looking forward to more.

I recently stumbled upon this game and just had to see if there was any sort of translation.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2014, 09:46:35 pm »
A bit of bad news, I was just about to release a new update, but my hard drive to my computer went (second time :banghead:). I had all the menus redone and a bit more of the game translated. Luckily I do have another back-up computer to work on.  So as of right now the game up to vermilion city is done, plus I'm working on redoing the text on all menus (again).

MrFaust

• Noob Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2014, 06:45:10 pm »
Aww boo. That sucks man, though its good to know you haven't abandoned the project. I'm really looking forward to the next update!
I feel asleep

hypergorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:02 am »
Lugia, has anyone ever told you you're a madman? First final fantasy vii and now this? Genius.
Also, I make NES repros. If I ever figure out how to make the cart for FFVII, you will surely be the first to get one.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:38 pm »
Lugia, has anyone ever told you you're a madman? First final fantasy vii and now this? Genius.

Plus I'm doing character imports on Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy as well:

Also, I make NES repros. If I ever figure out how to make the cart for FFVII, you will surely be the first to get one.

Cool, I'm trying to figure that out as well.

MrFaust

• Noob Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:32 am »
Wait these can't be put on carts?
I feel asleep

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:10 am »
No, because these games use proprietary memory addressing hardware developed by the Chinese, and each Chinese developer has their own system.  Most Chinese bootlegs such as Somari or Aladdin had to be hacked to use MMC3 in order to make reproductions.