News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Arkalavista - Arkanoid Editor - Update  (Read 3401 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Arkalavista - Arkanoid Editor - Update
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
A few years after its initial release, someone sent me some comments on Arkalavista, an editor for Arkanoid on the NES. I had pretty much forgot about it, knowing that it was sufficiently functional, and also because of other projects I was working on. I went ahead and got the project off the shelf, and made an update. I made some changes to the general layout, I corrected a few bugs and converted most of the fields into decimal notation, which usually makes more sense from the user's point of view. I added a data section where you can change a few variables, like score, lives and ball speed...

I think Arkalavista is still the most accurate and complete editor for Arkanoid out there. There's a few more things I could integrate into the editor eventually, like tile mappings, and provisions for the Japanese version. I still have an uncomplete hack of Arkanoid that I put on the ice as well. Maybe I'll find some time to finish it eventually...

Download Arkalavista 1.1

Feel free to leave your comments...

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Arkalavista - Arkanoid Editor - Update
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »
I'd like to see a good Doh it again editor but this is nice too. Nice looking editor.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:44:09 pm »
An editor for the SNES Arkanoid is not out of the question. I'll probably aim for NES Arkanoid Japanese support next, then go on the SNES version. It is quite possible that the game data structure is similar. The bricks have the same properties, there's still hard bricks and gold bricks. Capsules seem to act the same way, except there can be more than one on the screen at the same time, and there's more types of capsules...

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »
If you didn't wanna make a full out editor for Doh it again you could see about adding SRAM for the games built-in editor. That'd go a long way too. With at least a few levels being able to be saved as opposed to just one.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:31:07 pm »
Too late, I already started digging. Level data starts at the beginning of bank E, offset 0x70000. It seems like the data structure for the bricks is very similar to the NES. On the SNES, the levels are 10 bricks wide, while on the NES, it's 11 bricks wide...

Now, the hardest part will be to find the graphics, with different bpp modes, and the palettes...

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:29:16 am »
Well, its a excellent game. 2 players. Mouse compatible. My family used to play it lots.