News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there an IPS patcher for Mac OSX?  (Read 19173 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Is there an IPS patcher for Mac OSX?
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:37:46 am »

For years, I've always patched my rom hacks and translations using Lunar IPS for Windows. When my last PC died, I decided to get an imac instead. Does anyone know of any equivalent little ips patcher for OSX 10.8? I currently have to ask my pc running friends to patch roms for me, and I'd rather do it myself. Thanks.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an IPS patcher for Mac OSX?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:57:17 am »
Based on the Utilities Section, it seems your options are Multipatch and UIPS.
Mauron wuz here.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:25:26 am »
If all else fails you can use the OS X port of DOSBox to run the DOS utilities, in theory.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
Both of those programs look pretty simplistic. I like the look of MultiPatch the most tho. It reminds me the most of Lunar IPS.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
Worst case, if you have python, somebody's made a module for it.
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-ips/1.7

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:03:50 pm »
There is no reason MultiPatch shouldn’t work on Mountain Lion that I’m aware of, but there is a reason UIPS won’t (no Rosetta).
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Sappharad

• View Profile
    • Sappharad.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »
MultiPatch is the best thing, you should just use that.
Source: Myself.

The most recent release works fine on 10.8. It is not signed so the default security settings in Mountain Lion will not allow it to run unless you right-click the application and select "Open" to launch it for the first time. This allows you to say that you trust the application and want to allow it to run. (Alternatively, you can disable the security check in System Preferences, but this is not recommended.) I haven't had a reason yet to pay apple $99 just so they can "trust" my applications and most users have been fine with right-clicking them the first time they want to run them. At some point I will be updating the application to support that new patching format that came out recently...

jake74

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:44 pm »
Hello all, after Multipatch failing to patch Gradius II and Salamander AC patches, I've moved over to the python-ips mentioned above.

Very easy to use, and minimal Terminal knowledge required.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
What I did on my Mac is I used Multipatch to patch my games and I used Lunar IPS via the Wineskin app to create patches.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »
MultiPatch all day every day.  It's better at applying patches than creating them though.  The latter works but is somewhat limited.  It can create IPS, UPS, and XDelta though so that's mostly what you want to use anyway.  It works at least up to El Capitan, I haven't any knowledge of any OS after that.

For SNES headers I just run TUSH in a wineskin.  No config needed IIRC (if there is it's corefonts and dotnet20).  Other stuff I know works in a skin:

-Temporal Flux, with dotnet20 and AFAIK corefonts.  You need to run it in a Virtual Desktop.
-YAPE needs no config.  I've run into problems with the OSX port of Gen III Hacker Suite however (which is buggy anyway).
-Randomizer related: Oblige runs with no config needed.
-FFPatcher Suite: Everything but FFOrgASM requires corefonts and dotnet20.  FFOrgASM is a no-go because of the dreaded dotnet40.

Currently working on FF3USME, but I'm unsure of what it's built from so I'm having troubles with the winetricks (the OSX FFVI tool won't cooperate for some reason).  An important note: it appears .txt files made with TextEdit use text encoding that breaks when looked through a browser.  Using LibreOffice gets around this pretty easily.  I learned this the hard way with Chrono Trigger and just recently got to the bottom of the problem (I think).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:00:44 pm by Chronosplit »

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »
I like MultiPatch very much also. The icon is toilet paper, lol.