News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Cosmo Cops go Japan  (Read 4899 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Cosmo Cops go Japan
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:49:00 am »

Update By: tc

A patch allowing Go! Go! Cosmo Cops! to play in Japanese, set by the DS system language.

This game was unusually released only for Europe with
the canceled Japan version known as Shutsugeki! Acroknights left hidden on its cartridge.

Patch is in BPS format. Use beat to apply to a clean ROM.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,3282.msg224793.html#msg224793)

Chpexo

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Cosmo Cops go Japan
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:19:16 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:09:04 am by Chpexo »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:53:45 am »
 :laugh: Who gave you this idea? There is an option to tilt the screen 90°/180°/270° in both DesMume and No$Zoomer. Brain Age / Akira Tago DS / 100 Classics ... are perfectly playable on emulators.

Nice work, though. I'm very interested in knowing which part you edited in the ARM7, since many DS games have unused languages, and I'm looking for a more general method.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »
Heh we usually have to force the other way (developers leave behind English in a game quite often*) or force it for games where it goes with the firmware but people would rather leave it as another for most other games, that said I did port over the force Japanese cheat for the last Advance Wars game for similar reasons (although mine was a bit heavy handed)- http://gbatemp.net/threads/advance-wars-days-of-ruin-dark-conflict-language-mod.254868/#post-4288002 .

@Chpexo in desmume click view dropdown menu, rotation and pick one of the usual multiples of 90. Vesa mounts are not uncommon either and even if that did not happen quite a few graphics drivers do allow similar rotations these days.

*that reminds me- Magi Nation on the GBA has a full English script buried within it, it is not such a clear cut hack though.

Edit: @GHANMI
The method varies a fair bit, some games are kind of soft disabled where others have a script but require extensive reworking. The relevant link details the basic idea (the DS firmware has the settings read into general memory similar to how button presses are often handled and the game operates from there- once you have that you can force a value, you can rewrite the handling code or you can do something else entirely like redo the file pointers in memory depending upon how crude or elegant or what is necessary.

Nagato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »
I wasn't expecting to see a news post about this. :laugh:

Nice work, though. I'm very interested in knowing which part you edited in the ARM7, since many DS games have unused languages, and I'm looking for a more general method.
Since tc said the languages was separated by *.lz and *.lz_en (and as I later found out, *.lz_es, *.lz_de, etc...) files, I started by looking at the functions that added the _en suffix. Turns out it was a pretty simple switch statement. I traced code back to where it got the value from and then saw it was loading it from the game's memory. I put a hardware write breakpoint at the memory location and reset the game which allowed me to find the code immediately. My post in the other thread explains the rest and gives the addresses of the functions I modified. The patch itself only modifies 2 bytes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:08:17 pm by Nagato »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »
Realistically I don't expect many people to use it. Being a Japanese patch is itself uncommon. :P

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »
It looks like one of those "Kids in weird costumes beat up anthropomorphic animals" type stories that seems to be popular these days. I'm not sure what to think about it, though.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »
Closest gameplay is probably DK King of Swing. Not much else quite comparable off the top of my head.