News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV NES Easy Type project.  (Read 11212 times)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
Final Fantasy IV NES Easy Type project.
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
This project is going to aim towards the screwed up stats in the game. The final boss should be first since that boss needs some serious arrangements.

I do want to do this on my own and possibly fix some of those other jacked up pirated RPGs. The graphics I am not concerned about since they do a pretty good job nonetheless.

I also don't really care about translating the game since that's already on the request list on the DB on datacrystal and I have no experience in japanese writing/reading whatsoever. So could someone teach me how I can find out how much HP a boss has? The enemies aren't that much of a pain in the ass unless you got some patience issues.

I do have experience in programming in 16 bit DOS asm and C but those have nothing to do with 6502 ASM that this game must use. I also have experience in hex editing like going  to a byte address and matching the checksums and whatnot. So really this project is just going to make the game a bit more easy since nobody wants to sit and fight/heal for nothing but progress through the plot. Actually, thats all what people really care about doing is progressing through the plot. They want to see what those pirates did at some point in the game.

So would anyone be willing to help? I have school to worry about so this project might be a bit slow. I have a lot of stuff I want to see in this pirated game like the Tower of Zot, tower of Babil, a lot of places. Those are just the places I really would like to see. Plus the boss sprites. Idk whats the most tempting to see. Would you say Golbez is the most interesting to see? Zemus? Could they have had FuYoSo and Golbez controllable in this pirated game? Or that fight with Edge and Rubicante a victory this time around? I don't really want to grind over and over again so I'm just going to make all the enemies have 1 hp >:-)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:01:46 pm by InfamousKnight »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV NES Easy Type project.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:36:28 am »
So would anyone be willing to help?
To recieve a cease and desist letter from SE after hours of work ? No thank you.

I would however encourage you to develop your own NES games, it's a very fun hobby but the hardest part is to get something complete and not only abandoned game engines with only a single level.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:05 am »
CC65 can help you if you are not familar with 6502 asm.
You can also write Master System games in C using Z88DK.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »
To recieve a cease and desist letter from SE after hours of work ? No thank you.

Are you saying that what I want to do is illegal? SE as in Square Enix? Does SE even know these pirates let alone care?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:24:59 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:11:42 am by Chpexo »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
Are you saying that what I want to do is illegal? SE as in Square Enix? Does SE even know these pirates let alone care?
I'm not even sure what you want to do since you don't mention it anywhere in your post. My understanding is that you want to port, or "demake" FF4 for the NES, but using your own game engine. Tell me if I was wrong.

And yes this is not legal since you don't own the rights for FF4, and it's characters. However, homebrewing a NES game is totally legal, and this include the case of one whose game mechanics and story could be very close to FF4, but with your own world, characters, enemies, .... I would encourage you to go that route instead if you do not wish to receive a cease and desist letter.

I'd put it in some other words : If you made a very sucessful game, would you like anyone to be distributing random clones of questionable quality, obviously based on your creation, without your own agreement ? Most certainly not. Even though I personally think FF4DS belongs to that cathegory^^

And this site is not illegal.

PS : Also, additionally FF4 is a particularly bad choice if you were to demake a game.
First it's graphics use few of the SNES capabilities and are very remembering of the NES. Copy/paste and removing one or two colours is not a huge challenge.
Second, FF4 has already been remake or ported to different platform 6 times or so
Third, Square Enix is one of the companies which defends their copyrights the morst aggressively.

PPS : You should also take a look at the WonderSwan Colour version of the game. It is in some way even closer to the NES than the SNES, especially sound-wise.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:00 pm »
You seem to have entirely failed to comprehend this thread. He's talking about a Famicom pirate game.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:06:10 pm »
I was just reading up on the code data logger in FCEUX and it seems to be what I've been looking for. Don't close this thread because I might need a hand for the patch.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54:34 pm »
PPS : You should also take a look at the WonderSwan Colour version of the game. It is in some way even closer to the NES than the SNES, especially sound-wise.

You don't want to know what I've suffered through to get info.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:33 am »
You seem to have entirely failed to comprehend this thread. He's talking about a Famicom pirate game.
Oh... okay. I didn't know about it. Perhaps it would have helped if he mentionned it in the title or at the begining of his post.

Anyways, it looks similar to the FF7 demake. Probably done by the same team. It's a wonder why Square Enix doesn't send them C&D letters, but perhaps the fact they're in China helps a lot.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:25 am »
He did mention it in the title ;P

SE doesn’t really C&D fan projects left and right. I’m actually rather appalled that people in this community seem so eager to mention it. It most certainly IS a “speak of the devil” kind of thing.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:11 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:10:24 am by Chpexo »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 06:52:49 pm »
This game is pretty much similar in every way to FFVII. The event system, music engine, battle engine, ect... The only thing that really changed is the events, characters, and maps were changed to resemble FFIV. A couple of songs were changed, but others are still the same. I looked at the music for this game and it's located in roughly the same spot in the ROM as in FFVII's.

So the enemy stats may also be in the same area.
Here's the information about the FFVII's enemy stats on data crystal.

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:ROM_map#Enemy_Data

I'm think all enemies that are present in FFVII are the same in FFIV and they may actually be in the same order too.

Hope this helps :)
Enjoy Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia Duodecim mods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcyBHNeY1g&app=desktop

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:58:01 pm »
This game is pretty much similar in every way to FFVII. The event system, music engine, battle engine, ect... The only thing that really changed is the events, characters, and maps were changed to resemble FFIV. A couple of songs were changed, but others are still the same. I looked at the music for this game and it's located in roughly the same spot in the ROM as in FFVII's.

So the enemy stats may also be in the same area.
Here's the information about the FFVII's enemy stats on data crystal.

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:ROM_map#Enemy_Data

I'm think all enemies that are present in FFVII are the same in FFIV and they may actually be in the same order too.

Hope this helps :)

Uh, Lugia, um, did you see the final boss? Plus, the enemies in the game are not that really bad. Unless I'm just really good at the game but there also isn't many enemy sprites I've encounted. Another thing, the boss fights are even shorter then your FFVII boss fights :P No joke, I got through some of those fights within less then 2 minutes.

Unhacked too.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:28 am »
Oh man, this is pretty exciting. I hope this project gets legs. FF4 on NES is an awesome concept to begin with.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 03:28:41 pm »
Does anyone know how to get passed Damcyan? I'm stuck at the cave and the castle.. I didn't check the entire cave but that might be my issue. However, I think it would just lead to no where.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:09:55 am by Chpexo »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Random but this cheat code gives Kain maximum strength: 602F FF

How did you figure that out?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:09:42 am by Chpexo »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 03:17:48 pm »
So could anyone help me get through damcyan? I fought antlion but apparently that didn't do much..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:11:11 pm by InfamousKnight »