News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: EarthBound Restoration Project  (Read 10720 times)

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
EarthBound Restoration Project
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:41 am »
Hi, everyone.

Recently I've been working on a hack for one of my favorite games from my childhood: EarthBound. I'm getting close to the point where I will feel comfortable releasing a patch of my work. This hack will be my first public release.

I think most big fans of EarthBound are already familiar with the fact that when Mother 2 was translated and localized into EarthBound, a whole bunch of changes were made. Most of the differences have been cataloged by Tomato on his website "Legends of Localization." I love playing ROM hacks and fan translation of Super NES games, so when I read Tomato's website, my first thought was how cool it would be if someone made a ROM hack that reverts all the changes.

I did some research and found out that it would actually be a fairly easy hack to implement. I also found out that several other people have made similar hacks before. Still, I decided to create my hack because none of the others I found went far enough in reverting the changes for my taste.

In total, this hack changes more than 150 dialogues as well as a number of graphics.

This is not a complete re-translation of the game from scratch. I think the original translation is fine and certainly worth playing, but I also think the game could be improved by reversing censorship changes and fixing mistranslations along with a few minor typos and bugs. Many changes that were made during the localization process have been kept. For example, there are many puns in the game which cannot be properly translated into English, so the localization team inserted their own puns. These have generally been left unchanged.

At the moment, I have a very small number of dialogues I still need to change as well as a few graphics changes I'm still working on figuring out how to implement. After I finish with these changes, I'll release a beta version of my hack. I will then playtesting the entire hack on a SNES with a flash cart and fix any mistakes I made.

Below, I've put up a list of things I'm changing. More detailed notes about the text changes will be included when I release a patch.

Bug fixes
  • Two NPCs in Threed that were cut from the original game (English & Japanese versions) due to coding errors have been restored
Graphical changes
  • "Drug" signs and map marker restored (signs not implemented yet)
  • Red Cross symbols restored (Hospital signs not implemented yet)
  • "Come" truck graphics restored
  • Original Runaway Five/Tonzura Brothers sprites restored
  • Signage outside the Chaos Theater restored (not implemented yet)
  • "Runaway Five" sign inside Chaos Theater shortened to just say "Runaway" (not implemented yet)
  • Insane Cultist's original battle sprite restored
  • Bar sign restored (not implemented yet)
  • "Topollo" sign restored (not implemented yet)
  • Nude Ness sprites restored
General text changes
  • References to violence and death have been restored
  • Alcohol references have been restored
  • Religious references have been restored
  • References to copyrighted/trademarked things have been restored
  • A few references to nudity and mildly sexually suggestive lines have been restored
  • Some "vulgar" language has been restored
  • Many dialogues have been updated to fix translation errors or to capture nuances from the Japanese script that were lost in translation
  • Some typos and grammatical errors have been fixed and the text formatting has been tweaked in a few places
  • Offensive PSI powers are now "PK" powers
  • Starmen no longer make clicking sounds and Starmen and robot characters now speak in all caps
Name changes
  • Pokey > Porky
  • Runaway Five > Runaway Brothers
  • Penetella Giovanni > Petenella Giovanni (typo fix)
  • Poo's Master > Yi-Si-Qi
  • Peaceful Rest Valley > Grateful Dead Valley
  • Jackie's Cafe > Boris' Bar
  • Topolla Theater > Topollo Theater
  • Sky Runner > Sky Walker
  • Phase Distorter > Space Tunnel
Enemy name changes
  • Cave Boy > Bigfoot
  • Evil Mani-Mani > Mani Mani Demon
  • Master Barf > Return of Belch
  • Ness's Nightmare > Ness's Demon
Item changes
  • Yogurt dispenser > Tofu machine
  • Trout Yogurt > Strawberry tofu
Some things that were things left unchanged
  • Title screens
  • "Don't Care" names
  • Most NPC names
  • Most enemy and item names
  • Town names and related graphics
  • The door-knocking sound effect graphic
  • "Food" map marker
  • Dept. Store sign and map marker
  • The Burglin Park sign
  • "Runaway" signs and tour bus
  • The Pencil and Eraser statue graphics
  • Saturn Valley and Magicant ATMs
  • Monotoli sign
And here are some screenshots

Edit: I accidentally left out the name changes when I first posted this. They are now included.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:36:04 pm by Q »
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: EarthBound Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:48:01 am »
Your https dropbox image links don't show up. I think you might need to use a different host. I personally use photobucket. Maybe imageshack (:P) or imgur?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:50:24 am »
That's strange. They're showing up for me.

Edit: I just signed out of Dropbox and now they're not showing up for me either. Let me see if I can fix the problem...

Edit 2: I put them up on Photobucket. Should be good now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:21:48 am by Q »

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:25 am »
I miss the octopus eraser in this list...  :'(

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:52 pm »
@ChronoMoogle: Sorry to hear that. The statutes were one of those things where the cultural references wouldn't be understood by English-speakers and the wordplay was lost in translation, so I decided not to revert them

If you think you have a good way of incorporating them, I'll consider it though.

I'd definitely love to get feedback on all the changes I made and did not make. If anyone thinks I should alter my hack in some way and has a, I'll at least listen to their reasoning and consider it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:38:06 pm by Q »

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »
Yeah i agree with ChronoMoogle imho do change it please, i does kinda go with the humor & i'm pretty a pencil & eraser pun ain't a knee slapper either plus it's what the original Japanese version had it as unless put it this way, cuz a octopus spills ink & people uses ink for pens right? so basically ness or jeff is giving the octopus it's ink back or something of it as the wordplay would go.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »
Two NPCs in Threed that were cut from the original game (English & Japanese versions) due to coding errors have been restored
Is there some documentation of those somewhere?  I can't recall reading about them before.
EDIT: Here we are.  And more!
"Don't Care" names
Did you leave those as-is because you couldn't figure out how to change them?  Because I think someone released an editor for that express purpose.
http://www.zophar.net/news-archive/snes-earthbound-editor-update-4082.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:06:20 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:39:43 pm »
@Jorpho: You can find a stand-alone patch for the two accidentally cut characters here.

As for the "Don't Care" names, it's more a matter of many of them being too long to fit EarthBound's character limits.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:19 am »
A octopus and a octopus eraser might lose the wordplay but it's still pretty silly, so it would probably work out as a joke.
How the hell do I get rid of a octopus? With a octopus eraser of course!

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:17:45 pm »
I'm trying to submit my hack to the site database, but I'm hosting it on Dropbox which doesn't seem to allow me to direct link to my files.

Currently, my hack is hosted here and the readme is also hosted here.

Would it be acceptable to submit Dropbox links like these to ROMHacking.net or will I need to find a host that allows me to use direct links?

In any case, if you want to check out the hack now, you're free to DL it via the above link before I upload it to the site.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:44:38 pm »
I'm trying to submit my hack to the site database, but I'm hosting it on Dropbox which doesn't seem to allow me to direct link to my files.
Eh?  Stick the file in your Public folder, right-click (yes, right-click) the file name in the list of files, and select "Copy public link".

I wasn't aware there was another way to do it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:51 pm »
HAS to be the public link, somewhere in the public folder. Just repeating that for emphasis. That’s the part that trips people up.

(Also, don’t ever reorganize your public folder. For whatever reason, they decided that that’s something that should break old links.)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »
Are you fixing up translation inconsistencies too, like Dr. Andonuts refering to the third Phase Distorter as just the Phase Distorter at first, then the "Phase Distorter 3" afterward, and Pokey/Porky not calling Giygas "Master Giygas" until the point where he's supposed to stop calling him that?

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »
Can the "New Controls" hack be patched over this?

Just wondering!  Im looking forward to the release.  Looking forward to a unique playthrough

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 04:48:18 pm »
Are you Hagen from PK hack website?  Because someone already done this but not 100% yet.  So here is link.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »
@NES Boy: Yes, all those things have been fixed.

@altoiddealer: I'm not sure, but I will look into it at some point.

@bradzx: No, but I'm actually already familiar with Hagen's hack. In fact, there were a few times when I wasn't sure how to phrase something. so I looked at Hagen's hack for ideas. I also ripped some Mother 2 graphics from it. Hagen's hack is cool, but I wanted to change even more dialogues and change a few names and other things.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »
@bradzx: No, but I'm actually already familiar with Hagen's hack. In fact, there were a few times when I wasn't sure how to phrase something. so I looked at Hagen's hack for ideas. I also ripped some Mother 2 graphics from it. Hagen's hack is cool, but I wanted to change even more dialogues and change a few names and other things.
Oh ok.  Just make sure you are same person or not.  Also make sure you mention that almost same Hagen's hack has.  So people won't think you steal Hagen's idea.  Look forward for your complete hack.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!