News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Vocals of Phantasia, Doesn't Work/Missing Files in Archive.  (Read 5594 times)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
Vocals of Phantasia, Doesn't Work/Missing Files in Archive.
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
Alright, so I can't get the "Vocals of Phantasia" dub patch, hosted here on RHDN, to patch correctly.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/474/
From what I understand you need an interleaved ROM, patched with DeJap’s 1.2 translation. The problem is that interleaved ROM's seem to be extinct in this day and age and I can't seem to find a way to re-interleave it (if that's even possible). The other issue is that the readme makes it sound like the patch is suppose to include an executable, that not only patches it, but lets you decide what voices you want inserted. however, that executable is neither here nor there and the only thing in its place is an IPS patch. 

Can anyone help with getting this abomination working? Does anyone remember ever getting an executable with this patch? If so, do you still have it?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Vocals of Phantasia, Doesn't Work/Missing Files in Archive.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »
I've always wondered myself how that patch was supposed to be applied to the ROM. No matter what I fed the patcher with, what resulted from the process was a broken mess of bytes.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:43:41 pm »
I managed to do it, I forgot how though. It's not really worth it to be honest.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »
Interleaving is also fancy way to say the ROM is in a copier specific format. uCON64 should be able to interleave a non interleaved ROM. From it's documentation, it looks like only the Game Doctor and Super UFO used such a format for HiROM dumps. You'd want to use the -gd3 or -ufo option.

I'd imagine you need a ROM w/ header as the DeJap patch requires one. The DeJap patch archive contains patch for both interleaved and non-interleaved. So, it would seem you should download the ROM, interleave it with Ucon64 and then apply the DeJap patch, then the dub patch. It sounds like the dub patch will may not work by itself without the dejap code.

It is interesting that the readme makes reference to an executable. The author's website is still up and the archive presented there is the same...
http://topping.zophar.net/vop/index.htm
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »
I managed to do it, I forgot how though. It's not really worth it to be honest.

No, it's not.
I've already listed the problems (with just the intro) with this patch on other forums, if not this one.
Intro song: even if I turn my speakers up to almost full volume, I can understand maybe a couple words PepsiBeth there is saying.
As to Dhaos. "God of thunder. Uh huh."  "What's that? This can't be. Augh!" He's either just lost an auction on ebay or he's just been struck lighting having his body ripped to shreads. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
I think as soon as I heard how crappy the voices were I went back to using the copy without the voice patch. Seriously, after all that effort to replace the voices, you think they'd at least try and make them sound good.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »
I do wish they would have released the program or something they used that put the vocals back into the game.  That SERIOUSLY would have been great to archive.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
Didn't they convince someone from dejap to do it for them? From what I could see from their website they definitely didn't have the skills to do it on their own

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »
If I remember reading correctly awhile ago, then yeah it was someone from DeJap.  But considering that area is long gone, I think everything else is gone with it.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »
Well I got it working, thanks Nightcrawler for the tip :thumbsup:

Yeah, the voices are bad, though I find it interesting that this was even accomplished.
Isn't this considered the first video game fandub, or I'm I over looking something? According to the RHDN page it was released back in 2002.
Intro song: even if I turn my speakers up to almost full volume, I can understand maybe a couple words PepsiBeth there is saying.
Believe it or not I actually remastered this song using the original IT file they had hosted on their site. I uploaded it on youtube (it's now comprehensible!),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHdtfgyY0s

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:47 am »
I played through the whole game with the patch, actually.  I guess I have low standards.  (Certainly, I've never bothered to put much effort into comprehending lyrics.)

I dimly recall that at least one of the samples was mismatched entirely.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »
these lyrics

i guess that can be blamed on the original japanese song though