News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Lines from X68000 Programmer's Manual  (Read 5182 times)

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
Lines from X68000 Programmer's Manual
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:30:07 am »
I'm helping translate a X68000 programmer's manual, and while it's easier than I thought despite my lack of programming knowledge, I'm having trouble with three lines:

$40~   :$000040~$ffffff までのアドレス指定.
先頭バイトが $60 ならスーパーバイザのままそのアドレス
をコールし、そのサブルーチンから戻ると本体を OFF.

I got most of this one, but I'm confused about the meaning of のまま here. Not sure about what "supervisor" refers to either, but I'm assuming it's an overriding routine or something.

$ed001c   1.b   0      起動時のキー LED の状態(電原 OFF 時の状態が待避されている)

What does 待避 mean here? I guessed "standby" but I'm not entirely sure.

それぞれ $f は無視を表す.

Can anyone verify what 無視を表す means? I'm assuming it's "displays override" but again, not sure.

TIA
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Lines from X68000 Programmer's Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:12 am »
Supervisor mode on the X68000 is what we might call “kernel mode” on a PC. It allows unfettered access to all the hardware, which normal programs really shouldn’t have, but the OS really should.

待避 in this context means shunt; i.e. that the LED is also used for a different purpose in certain circumstances.

In this case, 無視を表す means that where they have written an f in the manual, it will actually be ignored (“each $f indicates a don’t-care”).
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »
Thank you so much!  :D I didn't even know the term "shunt" was used in computer terminology. If you have some free time, please consider checking over my crappy amateur translation or even helping translate some of the remaining text. The manual is located here along with some other X68000 documents.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
I was working on DOSCALL, but then I got busy (same story every time :| ). Yet I’m not sure how productive it is for me to be translating documentation straight through, even though I suspect a bit of domain expertise is needed from time to time to get the jargon down. I would not be surprised if there are a few terms in these docs that have an accepted meaning in the context of low-level programming but aren’t really found anywhere else on the Web.

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:04:13 pm »
I would not be surprised if there are a few terms in these docs that have an accepted meaning in the context of low-level programming but aren’t really found anywhere else on the Web.

I noticed that, yeah. I'm mainly translating it for practice. Hopefully Pennywise (who requested the translation) can actually get some use out of it. On a side note, it's nice to translate something without worrying about nuance and tone. If I have any other questions I may post them here, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. :)

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:37 pm »
I was working on DOSCALL, but then I got busy (same story every time :| ). Yet I’m not sure how productive it is for me to be translating documentation straight through, even though I suspect a bit of domain expertise is needed from time to time to get the jargon down. I would not be surprised if there are a few terms in these docs that have an accepted meaning in the context of low-level programming but aren’t really found anywhere else on the Web.

We could probably make that a disclaimer for people interested to be wary of etc. But I think the main point of having these translated is so that people can have the chance to read about technical for the X68000 for a hacking resource which they might not otherwise have. I should also mention that this isn't my project per se, I'm just trying to help facilitate translation of the content. M.I.J.E.T. is overseeing the project and is hosting the final docs on the site.

http://mijet.eludevisibility.org/X68000%20Technical%20Documents/English%20X68k%20Docs.html

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »
Well, I mean that there are a lot of listings with almost-English labels that should be meaningful to anyone who knows low-level programming, and a somewhat smaller number of entries that would be worth bothering someone with a degree in this stuff to get translated (which yeah, I’m totally up for).

I would imagine people who need to hack a system would be more interested in looking things up as they come along rather than read the whole manual (it’s nearly comprehensive, which is good for people writing programs wholecloth of any sort including word processors, utilities, and all that, but somewhat overkill for hacking purposes). Assuming that is the case, prioritizing translations for the parts that cover more system-specific, game-oriented, or ‘gotcha’ type details would be a better use of time in this (rather large-scope) undertaking.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with you since I've kinda just viewed them as just a bunch of Japanese documents. I think we can narrow the approach after the Programming Manual, DOS CALL, and Assembler Functions docs are finished since it would be silly to leave some of them half-finished.