I'm actively working on a re-translation of SaGa 3, or "Final Fantasy Legend III" abroad. When the game was localized, a number of changes were made to the script, character names, enemy graphics and menu layouts. The scope of this project is to give players a "full" experience by providing an English version of the original Japanese ROM.
Specific differences between the two versions include:
- Changes to enemy graphics. (two of which are pictured below) The reasons for these changes may have been mild censorship on behalf of some of the more frightening foes. The drummer was possibly changed because it's a reference to a Japanese advertising mascot, and simply wouldn't be understood by Western audiences.
- Multiple columns in the item and magic inventories. Obviously, these were changed to fit more characters in item and magic strings. In the Japanese version, item strings are limited to 7 characters, (6 for potions) and 4 for magic spells. The magic inventory (not pictured) has three columns, and each row is numbered. It's very similar to the magic inventory in Final Fantasy I, where magic existed in various levels of power. In the English version, there's only one column, and there game disregards any notion of magic levels.
- In the Japanese version, the inventory allowed the party to hold 9 (or is it 8 ?) instances of most items, but 99 instances of potions. In the English version, the 9 (or 8 ) restriction applies to every single item.
- Many of the character names were changed. "Arthur" is actually named "Dune," for instance. A lot of the characters have French given names, or names based on French words. This was probably changed because the references weren't very familiar to Western audiences at the time.
Screenshots of progress so far: (plus a couple of random game play shots)
Things to do:
Need to expand the character limit on some strings. This might require reworking entire menus. DONE
Find the rest of the dialog. It looks like it might be compressed. I've never worked with anything like that, so I'm not sure what sort of logic is involved. I did post a help-wanted ad earlier. Maybe someone who is familiar with compression or GB ASM can lend their expertise. DONE
- Finish translating and inserting the remainder of the dialog.