News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest 5 options  (Read 10254 times)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest 5 options
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »
I've really been wanting to go back and finally put DQ5 to rest. The question is, which version should I play? I'm not interested in the ps2/DS iterations as I'm a stickler for playing the original game over the remake.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/341/

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/342/

2 translations, each with varying praises. Anyone has played both that could give an opinion? I realize Byuu's is more literal, but does that mean the writing doesn't 'flow' as well?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Dragon Quest 5 options
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:19 pm »
It really doesn't flow as well, no. They're both perfectly fine versions, but they both veer a little too far away from the happy medium between literal and lenient, just in different directions. I'd argue that byuu's version probably veers farther away from that middle than the DeJap version, but it's a close thing.

So, go with the DeJap version if you'd rather play something slightly over-localized (but not nearly as over-localized as the DS version.) Play byuu's version if you'd rather play something over-literal.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:05:06 am »
I think the version I played was DeJap's, and it felt okay. You're have some weird confusion, though, when you look up DQV online or talk to people who've only played the English version of the DS remake, since Papaz's name was officially localized as Pankraz or something (don't ask me why), among other name changes.

Either way: "Yo, Papaz!!"

BTW, I feel that the DS one is really awesome and perhaps better than the SNES original. Just sayin'
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:48 am »
Play the DS version you crazy guy!

If for nothing else the DS version lets you have four party members instead of three.

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »
Play the DS version you crazy guy!

If for nothing else the DS version lets you have four party members instead of three.

Not sure you understand how much I love me some sprites and snes midis :)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »
Definitely the DS version.  I played through the DeJap version, and while the work done on the game was excellent, the game itself didn't click for me, for some reason.

On the other hand, the DS version sucked me in, and never let go.  It improved my opinion on DQV to the point that I'm willing to give it props as one of my favorites in the series.  I'd have never done that on the SNES version alone.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »
Yeah no disrespect to the fan translations, but the official translations for the DS DQ games are supposedly stellar.  I know when I beat DQIV DS that was the case.  Even if the regional dialect thing gets to be a little over zealous.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »
To their credit, it's dialed back a bit in DQV.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »
Play our PS2 version. You can pick between classic DW style naming patch or DQ style names.

The DS translations are a god awful nightmare. They took liberties that would make most translators cringe. Filled with bad puns and horrible names/accents that aren't even present in the actual game, the translations turn important story moments (like when Papas is killed) into comedy routines. I mean, "Count Uptoten"... Really...  :banghead:. If you want to play DQ reworked for the humor of 10 year-olds... play the re-stylized DS releases. If you want an actual decent translation revised by non other than the fantastic Dwaine from dqshrine.com, play our version.

/rank

EDIT:
(misread this)
I'm not interested in the ps2/DS iterations as I'm a stickler for playing the original game over the remake.

DEJAP FTW!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »
(misread this)

A lot of us seem to have delved into praising the DS version, which is probably where your misreading happened.
:<

...and... I like puns. They're... fun.
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »
Personally I enjoyed the puns as well.   :happy:  Not to mention the much improved presentation.

To each their own though.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »
I like them too. Just not to the extent they went. Adding a little flavor is cool but I think the story was good enough to make it a little much. Maybe it's personally preference but when someone has the name 'Eric' I prefer to keep it Eric in a translation instead of changing almost every place and persons name in the game to made up names that don't match the original. I'd argue that it's acceptable sometimes when a name is too Japanese sounding to match the game. However, in DQ it's not usually the case as they use English style names for the most part.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »
Maybe they were going for exotic sounding? There's another thread here where this talked about (like changing Tina's name to Terra in Final Fantasy VI). An English sounding name would have sounded perfectly normal to us, but exotic to Japanese people; maybe they wanted to convey that sense of exoticism in the western release?

By the way, I first played, and fell in love with, DeJap's version of the game. It was the only translation (or the best one) at the time I got the itch to play DQV and I always felt it has the best story of them all. The DS version still managed to feel similar in that sense.

...I, uh... I have your version burned to a DVD but I couldn't get into the weird graphics (no fault of your own!). It's like playing Dragon Quest VII all over again, which isn't bad, but... after playing Dragon Quest VIII... Y'know?
Who will quote me next?

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »
I played through DQ6 SNES, and DQ6 DS, and much preferred the SNES version for the look/translation, even if it's an incomplete translation. I'm really not into those accents they add to the DS iterations. Also, I suspicion that the people who liked the game and the project enough to do it for free probably put a little more heart into it than the officials.

I've decided on the DeJap release after playing both last night for an hour- I think it's an easier read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Kkdn-6tBg

After watching that, the ps2 one is sorta catching my interest. That soundtrack sounds great compared to the other versions. For curiosity sake, would my computer meet the minimum requirements to run it with lowest settings on ps2 emu?

3.0 ghz
256 grfx card
1 gb ram

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »
Yeah, both are classics. I understand some people feel weird about the graphics of the PS2 port and I get it.  I personally love the PS2 versions graphics because it's more DQ7-ish where it's kind of a mix of 2d and 3d... Although I'm a huge fan of the DQ8 style also. The PS2 soundtrack is amazing.

By the way, if anyone wants to check out our translation work before downloading you can view it at this wiki.

http://ww2.0wnag3.biz:82/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Our insertion method actually pulls the latest wiki version and injects it into the game.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 01:59:45 pm »
I liked the PS2 version the most out of the three versions. The game is nice and updated, fluid in graphics, and has a nice presentation. It does feel like a DQ7-style in 3D... but it's kinda "wobbly" too, like what happened to Megaman 8's graphics >_>

The DS one seemed very static and droned on and on, and the original for me always felt cold and hollow. The PS2 version actually hit a vibrancy that didn't feel like a stale presentation... however, the story is much to blame too. It's very slow getting on, and doesn't go anywhere fast.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »
I played it on PS2 in english.

Hope I made the right choice

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
Hmm... The original was cold and hollow? I didn't feel that... But, well, that was a long time ago, I suppose.

The story does move at a decent pace.
Spoiler:
You're basically growing up, well past manhood. It's slow enough deliberately and there's plenty of "child adventures" to go through, perhaps harkening to a time where everything was an adventure. Until the twist rears its ugly head and turns your world upside down. :'(

And then, once again. Jeez. DQV's hero just couldn't get much of a break (with his one true happiness being his children and wife)...
Who will quote me next?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:31:35 pm »
I played Byuu's version and I liked it.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 07:27:30 pm »
Watching that video made me want to play the PS2 version. I could always make some more space on my HDD...

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior