News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Final Fantasy 3 (2.0)

Started by jelloshooter, August 27, 2012, 11:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelloshooter

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.  I would like to first say that although I been reading up as much as I can get on how to do some romhacking, I have no experience yet.  Well, got that out of my system.  Now here's my proposal:

I think it's a shame that the original 2D version of Final Fantasy iii has never seen a face lift like all of the other games of its time.  It was by far the best of the NES FF's and it's one of my favorites of the whole series.  I do realize that it was remade for the DS and all that, but I personally didn't care for it all that much.  I
think that it would be really to cool revamp the game (ala the GBA, Wonderswan, PSX, PSP, etc... remakes)  So I guess my first question is: am I alone in this or does anyone else care about this?

Second question would be: if anyone DOES care would anyone be interested in actually working on such a project?  I'm not sure exactly what that would entail, but I imagine something at least on par with the 16-bit generation.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this, and I pre-apologize for all of my noobishness.  Good day.

-jelloshooter

Bregalad

Porting a game made by Square without their agreement is illegal. I think this pretty much answers your question.

If you want to make a facelift hack of the NES original, then by all mean go for it, but one of the reason so few hacks of FF3 exists (in comparaison with, say, FF1), is probably that FF3 is one of those games which uses every single byte in it's 512k ROM. Without free space it's very hard to hack stuff, but still possible.

syntax error

before you start hacking FF III get the code for the FF II editor Jade and port that.

jelloshooter

Hmmmm, I guess the answer to my first question was a resounding "no".    :(

Questions/comments:

Quote from: Bregalad on August 28, 2012, 04:54:16 AM
Porting a game made by Square without their agreement is illegal. I think this pretty much answers your question.

I realize that nobody but square could do it officially.  I was just saying that I'm sad that they have not shown the original any love and have only focused on the 3d remake.

Quote from: syntax error on August 28, 2012, 01:49:04 PM
before you start hacking FF III get the code for the FF II editor Jade and port that.

What do you mean by porting it?

Anywho, I was actually thinking that it might be possible to hack another game (like FF5 since it already a job system) to look and act like ff3 ultimately making a updated looking FF3.

Bregalad

QuoteAnywho, I was actually thinking that it might be possible to hack another game (like FF5 since it already a job system) to look and act like ff3 ultimately making a updated looking FF3.
Yes, this might be technically possible. But if you want to actually make it very close to FF3, the quantity of stuff to hack will be... very impressive.

LostTemplar

Something byuu said about FF3 on his forum:

Quote from: byuu
If anyone is super highly skilled in drawing JRPG-style graphics, and wants to take on a major endeavor; I'd be willing to write a game engine to produce a 2D remake ala FF1/FF2. But the artist would have to be impeccably good. No VeRGE-level of graphics.

curses

As long as your project is "inspired by" Final Fantasy to a lesser extent than Final Fantasy was "inspired by" Dungeons & Dragons you should be fine.

jelloshooter

Did anything every come of that request from byuu?  Do you have a link to this forum?

LostTemplar

www.byuu.org

But I think that particular quote was from a hidden sub-forum.

jelloshooter

wait so how did you get that quote?

LostTemplar

Well, it's not hidden to everyone, obviously.

jelloshooter

ohhh, sneaky.  well, any idea if anything ever came of that idea or if he'd still be interested in such a project?

LostTemplar

It was a pretty recent comment of him, but knowing him, you probably would really have to be a pixel art master for him to even consider it.