News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania: Stairs Of DOOM. Halloween surprise by me.  (Read 5648 times)

alucard123

• View Profile
Castlevania: Stairs Of DOOM. Halloween surprise by me.
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:08:47 am »
My first CV1 hack that features completely revamped levels and some graphic and music edits.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?sadm7bdph0ddd16

P.S. Anyone can submit this hack to RHDN as well as reporting any bugs and issues not included in hack`s read-me.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Castlevania: Stairs Of DOOM. Halloween surprise by me.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »
Yep, I like it very much. You found very clever ways to maximize space in the rooms. And sometimes, you can take two different paths with tradeoffs. A few things to chew on:

- Because I wanted to explore everything and had to start over some areas, I went out of time in the first level. Maybe add some time to compensate for the extra complexity of the levels, or remove the timer altogether.
- Some enemy placements may need refinement, like the bone throwers in level 3. Some medusas can pop in your face very close to the edge of the screen when you exit some stairs.
- Level 4 has a food plate right at the beginning in the leftmost candle, which I thought was useless.
- The flashing items that appear when you crouch seem to be at the same location as in the original game, and at least one of them end up inaccessible. Is it because you overlooked them or simply because the editor doesn't have any provisions for them? Either way, it looks unprofessional.
- Is there any reason why you skipped the intro? And why remove the sound when you enter the castle at the beginning?

Except a few glitches here and there, I think the level designs are well done. It really feels like it's another game, and not just slight variations of the original. Very good work...

alucard123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:54:52 am »
- Level 4 has a food plate right at the beginning in the leftmost candle, which I thought was useless.
These jokes are intentional as well as
Spoiler:
falling knight in 2-1, fake 1-up trap in 6-2 and some more

Updated to v1.1 Changelog in read-me. http://www.mediafire.com/?irzl0b6ppoo50dm

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:01:43 pm »
Nice surprise, thank you !
It's fun how you optimized it to maximize the length of the stage with a minimum area.

DarkReaper

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »
This looks cool, ill check it out asap since I love Castlevania in general.

alucard123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »
This hack has been submitted to RHDN database.