News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacking PS1 games on Linux  (Read 6377 times)

6divide9

Hacking PS1 games on Linux
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »
What tools and options would I have if I wanted to hack both code and graphics from games on these platforms using Linux as my main OS? I don't want to have to rely on Wine for this hobby. I'm no expert on the subject but I've done Assembly hacking for PS1 thanks to pSX's debugger, but if I don't have that option (it's too slow for me in Wine) then what other options do I have?

I've noticed an "Enable Debugger" option in PCSX 1.7 RC1 on linux, which I've checked, but I have no idea how to run it.

Is IDA Pro any good?

Is GDB an option for any emulator I run?

PSP and NDS romhacking are also something I've been curious about, too. If you have advice on how to get set up to hack games on these platforms without emulators I'd appreciate hearing about it. :) (Using only linux of course, lol)

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:46:06 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:15:32 am by creeperton »

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
Re: Hacking PS1 games on Linux
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:44 pm »
Yeah, there's probably some tools out there, but just save yourself the trouble and go back to windows.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:10:05 am »
I find that even with Windows the PSX is a pain to hack due to the lack of good tools (debugger etc.), but yes, it's probably still way better off than Linux.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:24 am »
Pretty sure the PlayStation has good debugging tools, probably better than most hacked consoles (PCSX+pSX=win), not to mention how easy it is to reverse and write MIPS code. As for generic tools, they still apply the same, but you're also gonna need good knowledge of programming languages in order to succeed. In other words, hacking the PSX isn't any harder than hacking any other consoles; it's actually easier in most aspects. I will never get people who're afraid to hack it only because it's seemingly 'hard'. The golden rule to apply here is: everything is hard if you have no clue what you're doing.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:15:49 am »
Pretty sure the PlayStation has good debugging tools, probably better than most hacked consoles (PCSX+pSX=win)

To be fair, I've yet to see a really good debugger on any emulator (not only PlayStation) I've tried. But pSX seems to go in the right direction, I didn't know of that one. I also didn't mean to imply that the PlayStation itself was difficult to hack - as you say yourself, that's far from true.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:40:48 am »
To be fair, I've yet to see a really good debugger on any emulator (not only PlayStation) I've tried.
I would say the no$ emulator series got like the best debuggers ever.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:45:58 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:15:49 am by creeperton »

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:31:09 am »
To be fair, I've yet to see a really good debugger on any emulator (not only PlayStation) I've tried.

I agree.  That's why I stick to x86.  It's certainly not easier than MIPS or SuperH, I'm very interested in Saturn hacking, but I'm so spoiled by Ollydbg.

solaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:56:25 am »
Hi, sadly using such a debugger is over my head, however its worth noting that mednafen (a multi-platform and open source emulator) offers playstation emulation with a debugger in the latest versions (debugger accessed with alt+d)

Here is a screen cap of mednafen 0.9.25-wip (linux x86)

Get it here:
Mednafen 0.9.25-wip thread

Karatorian

• "Gotta get get ... 6502"
    • View Profile
    • Studio Karatorian
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »
While I've never hacked the Playstation, I've done plenty of hacking as a Linux only user. Ignore the fanbois telling you to go back to Windows. Once you've got the command line, shell scripting, and make files, theres no good reason to go back to doing things manually and using such a limited command language as DOS batch files. I wish I could be more help with PS specific stuff, but don't give up. Also, if you're finding good PS tools difficult to locate (which seems to be a problem on windows too), don't get too hung up on a particular console. The older ones are easier to learn on anyway and once you know the basics, you'll have an easier time dealing with crappy tools (or writing your own).
Current ProjectsFinal Fantasy EngineSMB Special for NESStudio Karatorian
@loop: lda (src),y — sta (dst),y — iny — bne @loop — inc src+1 — inc dst+1 — dex — bne @loop