I think I've realized at this point that I'm not the world's most talented hacker, and the more days go by, the more I realize that I have less and less time to finish this and my other projects. I'm also far better at translating scripts.
So far, I've done a ton of work. There isn't much left.
Here's what's done:
- Items expanded up to 15 characters each (from 8 ).
- Item, Equip, and Shop menus altered to accomodate them.
- Magic Menu hacked to allow 7 character spell names (from 5). This allows spell names such as “Blizzard” to fit (but not “Thundara” or other longer names).
- Each of the three pointer tables has been hacked and tested.
- Some of the intro dialogue has been translated and inserted.
- The Main Menu has been hacked (much like the j2e FFIV hack, with some improvements).
- The Status menu has been hacked to fit everything (including some things that j2e missed) – no abbreviations!
- Place name boxes have been hacked, and place names have been inserted.
- Battle menu text has been inserted, but has yet to be hacked to fit full names.
- Most system text has been hacked (so that the full message can fit) and inserted.
- The item menu was hacked from two items per line to one item per line.
What needs to be done?
- The way the controller works on the item menu needs to be fixed. Right now, right and left move up and down one space. Up and down move multiple spaces, and the cursor freaks out and moves up a bit when it reaches the bottom of the item list for scrolling. It still works, mind.
- A few system texts were missed (shopkeeper saying "you don't have enough gil", for example)
- The battle menu needs re-doing. Right now we've got "Dark" and "White" and "Summo". The end goal would be "Darkness" and "Summon" and whatnot.
- Battle text needs to be re-done as well, so that full spell names will fit, as well as the end-battle messages (You got (xx) EXP!, etc. Right now this is in English, but cut off).
- The Magic menu could be worked on a bit to fit full names like Leviathan and Thundaga.
- The Equip menu's item selection cursor needs to be set up like the Items menu is. It's still looking for an item on the right side of the menu that isn't there.
That's it, as far as hacking's concerned. I can finish translating the script myself, and Talbain agreed a while back to do the editing on it. If someone experienced wants to push it a bit further, I've been told an 8x8 VWF is doable for FFIV. Not necessary, though.
If I can get someone to sign on to help finish up the hacking, this hack will be the best we can get for FFIV. Once it's done, I plan on releasing a version for vanilla FFIV, and if the demand is high enough, a version with the DS script inserted.