News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tingle Translation Help  (Read 24524 times)

joesteve1914

• View Profile
    • Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project
Tingle Translation Help
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
Does anyone know where the script is located in tingle's balloon trip of love, or if it's compressed? I'm going to translate it but I can't if I can't find the script!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:44:35 pm by joesteve1914 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Tingle Translation Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »
If you can't find it, then either you're not searching correctly, or it's compressed, yes.  What have you tried so far?

Also, this is the first I've heard of this game.  I heard Rosy Rupeeland was pretty terrible; is this an improvement?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:50:14 am »
If this is the game I'm thinking of, it's a Club Nintendo (Japan) exclusive game, and is essentially a port of Balloon Fight starring Tingle.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
I think I've heard of that, but Wikipedia suggests this is very much different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irozuki_Tincle_no_Koi_no_Balloon_Trip
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

yuka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:11:19 am »
This is the third Tingle game: first was the Nintendo club exclusive (Balloon Fight), second is Rupeeland which is one of my favourite DS games of all times: if you're a fan of kinda sandbox, free roaming, exploring, resources collecting, cooking and crafting with recipes you discover, etc. with plenty of humor and very nice cartoon graphics thrown into the mix, then this is for you. And then the third is this one: Tingle's Ballon Trip, which seems amazing too, but more point and click / puzzle solving oriented.

Anyways, back on topic, when I tried it (couldn't go far because the language barrier), it seemed to me that all the text was actually graphic text... I'm really not sure of course but may be worth checking in the pictures instead? I'd love to see that game translated ^^

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:50:24 am »
Thanks everyone, but by the looks of it, a newcomer to romhacking shouldn't try to translate something this big alone, so I guess I should wrap up on romhacking.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »
No! Don't give up on romhacking! I mean, if this is something you wanted to do, don't give up on it. If you give up on everything that looks a little hard, then you'll amount to nothing.

Yes, you might need help translating (maybe you don't understand Japanese or [insert original language here]) but you don't need a translator upfront in order to start hacking away at something.

So, don't quit just like that! Maybe you need to take baby steps, but at least take them baby steps!
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

StorMyu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »
He thinks we were gods at Romhacking the day we started something.

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:53 pm »
No! Don't give up on romhacking! I mean, if this is something you wanted to do, don't give up on it. If you give up on everything that looks a little hard, then you'll amount to nothing.

Yes, you might need help translating (maybe you don't understand Japanese or [insert original language here]) but you don't need a translator upfront in order to start hacking away at something.

So, don't quit just like that! Maybe you need to take baby steps, but at least take them baby steps!

I know it's just this game was the reason I started romhacking. And, hacking the rom isn't my problem, translating it is!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:29:05 pm »
Try putting out a Help Wanted Notice. It seems like people are willing to help out once you've shown that you can pull the data out of the game and all that fun stuff. So, if you say hacking the rom isn't the problem, I suggest you show off some work and put out a Help Wanted Notice.
Who will quote me next?

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »
So, what your saying is change around the text in another game and show that on a help wanted ad to prove that I know what I'm doing?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »
Doesn't have to be another game. I mean, you want to translate this Tingle game, right? Well, replace some of the text with whatever dummy message and use that as an example. Remember to keep backups!
Who will quote me next?

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »
I would do that, but my whole problem with this game is the Japanese, and that also includes making japanese tables, which I can't figure out. It's okay though, I also have Link to the past and super mario 2 that I can use.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »
Eh you can't read a bit of Japanese? If I had seen this thread earlier I wouldn't have approved that help wanted ad. It read like the only road block was getting the script and then the project would be fine. So basically you zero progress of your own and need other people to do the whole thing for you?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »
Yeah, you were supposed to show that you did something and then say "hey, so I know where to pull this information out of, but I dunno a lick of Japanese".

I don't understand why you'd want to hack A Link to the Past or Super Mario Bros. 2 for, though, since the Tingle game you're referencing is a DS game, which has a file structure and everything, different from a SNES or NES game.

I mean, if you need to work on something that's better documented in order to learn the basics towards hacking, then that's fine too!

The bottom line is, don't expect to have people do things for you without you putting in your fair share's worth of work. Plus, since you're the one who's starting the project, you'll want to show what you've already done. Whether it's hacking or translating, you'll want to have done something (meaningful, ie. more than just "I can give you a rom so you don't have to Google for it") and then say "look, here's what I did, I can't do any more than this because the require skill set is outside my expertise"

@KaioShin: I guess I should apologize. I don't like seeing people give up on something they would like to do; I may have come out a bit ambiguous, so joesteve1914 may have misinterpreted what I was saying.
Who will quote me next?

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:53:01 pm »
Okay, I guess it's my fault that I didn't explain this better. Here's my situation- I can hack an english game fine, but not japanese. I'm working with someone who knows japanese,  but has no idea how to hack a rom. So, I'm the only one hacking the rom. But, I can't read japanese to hack it, and my japanese friend can't hack a rom, so I need help extracting the script, so he can translate it. Now do you understand?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »
Ok, so I understand you know how to extract the script... right? I don't see why you need any sort of understanding of Japanese in order to extract the script. I mean, sure it may look like moonspeak to you, but moonspeak is still a symbol, ie character; you should still be able to tell what "might be a script"

Just saying.
Who will quote me next?

joesteve1914

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 06:05:45 pm »
So what your saying, is basically you guess at what "might be" the script, through trial and error?

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

Or i just messed up some pointers or i got the text (probably both because I made just a replace 01 by 00) :p
Lang.bin is probably your file but it's encoded with a costum encoding (= you need  to make a table to see the text).
What is sure is that you really choosed a big hard bone to chew on.
All .olz files are compressed and are a custom archive with all data inside (graphics/sound etc..) that you need for that "screen / location" in the game with an own file system.
It seems that after the file is decompressed, there is probably still data compressed again (compressed data inside the just decompressed file) but the filesytem with names is visible at that point and some text in SJIS format (part of the names if I am not wrong). It's possible that there is more text inside that compressed data.
There is alot of text that are graphics as well.
There are 10 fonts in the game all compressed in BIOS ID x10 in one archive file but the fonts themself are compressed in the format GBA Xbpp and with variable height for each tile.
Names and pointers of this fonts are in 2 separates files.

In poor words, you probably need some custom made tool to manage the olz files and maybe even a personalized lang.bin editor because if I am not wrong, the game use the format
offset 1, data size 1, offset 2, data size 2, etc.. (confirmed for the font archive but even more complicated in the lang.bin) most of the time in the pointer table.

The only good thing is that the font (at least the main font) has all the characters you will need for the translation and as you see on the screens above (rr and xr), you don't need to change the width of the letters.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 12:56:07 am »
This is the third Tingle game: first was the Nintendo club exclusive (Balloon Fight), second is Rupeeland which is one of my favourite DS games of all times: if you're a fan of kinda sandbox, free roaming, exploring, resources collecting, cooking and crafting with recipes you discover, etc. with plenty of humor and very nice cartoon graphics thrown into the mix, then this is for you.
Really?  I heard it was utterly ruined by the core gameplay of having to constantly give rupees to NPCs without knowing how many rupees the NPCs actually require.